Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 08:50 PM

28 posts, read 125,211 times

Advertisements

It looks like I'll need to rent for a little while when we arrive to Dover AFB in August/September. Wherever it'll be I'll need it to be in the Caesar Rodney School District. I'll need a 3 bedroom that allows pets...miniature schnauzer and a cat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 09:06 PM

699 posts, read 2,897,945 times
It is a shame you are hitting a wall when in comes to affordability of homes in the area. It probably is a better idea for you to rent upon your arrival. Then you can really do your homework and take your time in making an informed decision. What price range are you able to pay for a rental property?

Old 05-27-2008, 11:21 PM

903 posts, read 3,508,925 times
Hi Mike,

If you don't mind old base housing, the complex has recently transferred over to private management since new housing is complete. They do have 2 and 4 bedroom units, and while the rent is a bit steep, it includes everything except cable/phone/internet. Send me a private message if you're interested, and I'll give you the contact info.

My folks are moving to DE in 2 weeks, and will be renting there for a year. VERY convenient to the base, and I believe it is located in the CR district. Will check that for you in the morning, as well.

Take care, and I think you're doing the right thing. As from PA said, renting will certainly give you and the family time to make the right choice for the long run.

Mary

Old 05-28-2008, 07:36 AM

699 posts, read 2,897,945 times
I read an article in the Dover Post that the Dover AFB has just opened up new units for temporary housing. Have you checked with the base on availability . That would be your best bet. They might even have a department that handles this with possible referrals outside the base.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:59 PM

28 posts, read 125,211 times
Default Any good rental properties in the CRSD

Hey all--
No I haven't contacted the base yet. I've been in the Air Force for a couple of weeks now and am pretty familiar with the process. Once we get a little closer to Permanent Change of Station (PSCing) I'll contact the base. I really don't want to have to move twice inside of 6 months buy...as the saying goes a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. As to the other question...we can afford to pay $1,500 a month for a rental property. Obviously, cheaper would be better. Regardless of where or even if we'll rent it'll have to be in the CRSD.

Thanks for the offer of putting me in contact with someone, don't sweat it just yet. It's too soon to contact the base just yet. I haven't received paper copy orders yet...just know that it is my future assignment.

Thanks to everyone here...this forum has been the source of some of the best advice a person new to the area could ever hope for. Sincerely thanks, Mike

Old 05-28-2008, 11:32 PM

Hey Mike,

You may also want to start searching the online version of the Dover Post, the weekly newspaper around here. We actually found our rental (private house in Camden/Wyoming area) through the Dover Post. The online version comes out late night Tuesday; the print version comes out on Wednesdays. So if you check online at the right time, its conceivable you may get the jump on the locals who pick up the paper for sale!

I know of 2 very nice houses that will be for rent about the time you will be getting here... one is the house we are renting now, another is a Cape Cod style in Wyoming. Little pricey, but definitely in the CRSD! The Cape is within walking distance of the schools, which a lot of the kids in town do... walk to school, that is!

Mary

Old 06-03-2008, 07:46 AM

137 posts, read 314,086 times
Mary, just curious, about how much are the former base housing apts going for? Glad you found a great place for your parents. I guess you changed your mind from the other apartment?

Old 06-03-2008, 09:51 PM

Yeah, sanddollar, the other apartment did not work out... for several reasons. But IMHO, that happened because the other one was not meant to be!

The 2 BR units are $1,275. per month. Approx. 1,000 sq. ft, if I remember correctly. Not large, by any standard, but roomy enough for my folks. The rent is a bit higher, but some utilities are included (trash pick up, electric, oil heat, water); all the folks will have to get otherwise is their phone/internet/cable. Surprisingly, they can choose satellite TV if they'd like; something I'd never seen be an option in an apartment complex. The 4 BR units are a bit more, obviously!

What will make it extra special is, the complex is not far from the AFB gate @ Route 10. VERY convenient, since dad is retired military and they are no where near a base where they are now. That benefit in itself is well worth it to them to move to DE; dad's been out of the service for almost 40 years, yet they have lived 3 hours or more from the nearest base (regardless of branch). Even at my house, its less than 10 miles to the base and all it has to offer retirees.

The folks are counting down the days; picking up the truck Monday morning, and planning on being in DE by Wednesday! Gotta love their sense of adventure, even at their "advanced" age!

Mary

Old 06-04-2008, 02:18 PM

137 posts, read 314,086 times
Yeah, Mary, you are right, the rents are pretty steep. But I guess that electric, heat, and water are worth at least $250 or more. At least they won't have to worry about paying a light bill. Are they air-conditioned, too? Just curious.

So what do you think will be the first thing your folks want to do as new Delawarens?

Old 06-04-2008, 07:41 PM

Yep, central air too. So dad can get as hot as he wants in the winter, and mom can get as cold as she wants in the summer! Best of both for each of them!

I think the first thing dad will want to do is get his base sticker! And mom, will just want to snuggle up with the boys... they all have missed each other quite a bit this last year. But then again, our youngest is definitely grandpa's boy, so dad may wait a day or two for the AFB thing.

I do know one of their firsts will be attending the Special Olympics summer games... as that is what my folks enjoy doing. Not to mention, both the boys will be swimming this year; T as the "special olympiad", and D as a unified member of the team. So we have two to cheer on this year, which will be firsts for us as well.

Mary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware