Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2020, 01:43 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,262,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Today's numbers Over/Under yesterday

NCC 1701 + 72
KENT 728 + 76
SUSSEX 2114 +244
It looks really bad in Sussex. But here's the thing I don't get. Why do Kent County and the adjacent counties in Maryland have infection rates so much lower than Sussex County?

Sussex Co: 90 cases/10K
Kent Co: 40 cases/10K
Dorchester Co: 47.5 cases/10K
Wicomico Co: 33 cases/10K
Caroline Co: 20 cases/10K
Worcester Co: 10 cases/10K

Rates of infection in Sussex County are essentially double those of any of the adjacent counties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2020, 02:51 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
It looks really bad in Sussex. But here's the thing I don't get. Why do Kent County and the adjacent counties in Maryland have infection rates so much lower than Sussex County?

Sussex Co: 90 cases/10K
Kent Co: 40 cases/10K
Dorchester Co: 47.5 cases/10K
Wicomico Co: 33 cases/10K
Caroline Co: 20 cases/10K
Worcester Co: 10 cases/10K

Rates of infection in Sussex County are essentially double those of any of the adjacent counties.
They are trying to figure that out. Apparently, Georgetown and Millsboro are hot spots. The chicken factories apparently have a large infection rate and they are the largest employers. In addition, this area has a higher concentration of senior citizens than other areas of the state.

I will relay a "suggested possibility" that came from Long Island and it might apply here. On LI many of the lower skilled hospital workers, the CNA's, orderlies, and janitors that keep the hospitals and nursing homes going live in areas that are considered more prone to poverty. They were going to work to keep food on the table and were infected and wound up infecting the entire family and often times they are crowded into a single family home and it is an extended family. If that is the case and you vector that out, it is not hard to see how fast it might take an area over. As I said, there were several areas on LI that seemed to be hot spots and this was suggested as a possibility.

Old 04-28-2020, 02:58 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,262,211 times
Quote:
They are trying to figure that out. Apparently, Georgetown and Millsboro are hot spots. The chicken factories apparently have a large infection rate and they are the largest employers. In addition, this area has a higher concentration of senior citizens than other areas of the state.

I will relay a "suggested possibility" that came from Long Island and it might apply here. On LI many of the lower skilled hospital workers, the CNA's, orderlies, and janitors that keep the hospitals and nursing homes going live in areas that are considered more prone to poverty. They were going to work to keep food on the table and were infected and wound up infecting the entire family and often times they are crowded into a single family home and it is an extended family. If that is the case and you vector that out, it is not hard to see how fast it might take an area over. As I said, there were several areas on LI that seemed to be hot spots and this was suggested as a possibility.
It’s a thought. But I believe the Maryland counties have similar levels of poverty. Let’s hope they get their arms around this soon.

Old 04-28-2020, 04:29 PM

829 posts, read 629,647 times
I came across this article online that may shed some light on our questions:

https://www.delawarepublic.org/post/...st-coronavirus

I agree that the large poultry industry in Sussex is partly responsible, as we've all see the news and see what close working conditions exist in the processing plants. I would also guess that lower income people may have more than one family in a house and they are multi-generational, as this article mentions. Judging from crews I see in my own development and when riding around normally, many of the "brown" workers are in essential industries that haven't shut down, like construction and landscaping - so they've continued to work and potentially be more likely to be infected.

It's a good time to continue social distancing and self-isolating. Hope you and yours are well and remain so!! As they used to say on Hill Street Blues - be careful out there!

Old 04-28-2020, 06:14 PM

9,724 posts, read 14,266,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndyb View Post
I came across this article online that may shed some light on our questions:

https://www.delawarepublic.org/post/...st-coronavirus

I agree that the large poultry industry in Sussex is partly responsible, as we've all see the news and see what close working conditions exist in the processing plants. I would also guess that lower income people may have more than one family in a house and they are multi-generational, as this article mentions. Judging from crews I see in my own development and when riding around normally, many of the "brown" workers are in essential industries that haven't shut down, like construction and landscaping - so they've continued to work and potentially be more likely to be infected.

It's a good time to continue social distancing and self-isolating. Hope you and yours are well and remain so!! As they used to say on Hill Street Blues - be careful out there!
Just my 2 cents, as a native Kent Countian....I'm not sure the bolded statement above is true. Our construction workers, crews, and landscapers in Kent County are working non-stop, too. In fact, we're on a waiting list for our landscaper to complete a job because their work is so backed up. Yet, Kent County's numbers appear lower than Sussex. I travel through both Kent and Sussex Counties every day. Just a thought, but I've noticed that most people I see in Kent wear masks, everywhere I look, even driving cars......not as many masks seen in Sussex, and I've seen some larger groups of people gathering....but then, I'm only speaking in generalities, as I ride through various areas. I think it's anybody's guess, at this point.

Last edited by rdlr; 04-28-2020 at 06:42 PM..

Old 04-29-2020, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Just my 2 cents, as a native Kent Countian....I'm not sure the bolded statement above is true. Our construction workers, crews, and landscapers in Kent County are working non-stop, too. In fact, we're on a waiting list for our landscaper to complete a job because their work is so backed up. Yet, Kent County's numbers appear lower than Sussex. I travel through both Kent and Sussex Counties every day. Just a thought, but I've noticed that most people I see in Kent wear masks, everywhere I look, even driving cars......not as many masks seen in Sussex, and I've seen some larger groups of people gathering....but then, I'm only speaking in generalities, as I ride through various areas. I think it's anybody's guess, at this point.
RDLR, I guess you didn't get the memo from the Governor that gave the privileged in this county the OK to ignore all rules. Unbelievable as it sounds to me, there was a small group that protested the beaches still being closed. The group was under about 25 and they are planning on another protest. Good luck to them, the majority of the people are siding with caution.

Old 04-29-2020, 08:31 AM

I read where all the benches were removed from the boardwalk and along Rehoboth Avenue. Guess that won't help much.

Old 04-29-2020, 12:32 PM

NCC 1717 + 16
KENT 743 + 15
SUSSEX 2114 + 55

This is encouraging it is the lowest increase since early April. Fingers crossed.

Old 04-29-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:

NCC 1717 + 16
KENT 743 + 15
SUSSEX 2114 + 55

This is encouraging it is the lowest increase since early April. Fingers crossed.
Where is that website, nuts? The numbers I found are for yesterday and differ.

Old 04-29-2020, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Where is that website, nuts? The numbers I found are for yesterday and differ.
Scroll all the way down almost to the bottom to LATEST DATA and let it load.

https://coronavirus.delaware.gov
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware