Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2020, 06:24 AM

13,064 posts, read 18,168,969 times

Advertisements

Sussex County, who lagged far behind New Castle county in terms of positive cases, is, as of yesterday within 174 cases. Sussex county is a hot bed right now. As many know, I am involved with the International Student Outreach Program. We have not heard from the Dept. of State as of yet, that the program is cancelled this year.

Rehoboth Avenue is he center of town and all the shops and businesses line that road and ancillary streets. There are restaurants that have been here for years and some brand new ones. There are shops that sell a variety of things from mens higher end clothing to T-shirts, souvenirs and knick-knacks. Most are shuttered except for the restaurants, who are selling takeout.

I can't imagine that the beaches will be open this summer unless this trend starts dropping like a rock. Maybe late August if at all. The Avenue will be a ghost town if we don't open the beaches and there will be a ton of stores for rent. The hotels with several more coming - already approved by P & Z, will be struggling.

The state budget will be all but shot, with no business gross receipts taxes.

After painting that picture, as a resident I am torn apart for all the shopkeepers, some of whom are friends and most I know by at least a wave. I worry about the future of this area and those areas like us. I know we will be back at some point and restaurants that survive will be busy, albeit with fewer tables. Yet, I am more concerned that if we open the beaches and hotels that the largely gray population we have here, will be at risk from the visiting tourists, who always support this area. I don't recall ever wanting to be so wrong about something, but, I know we can't have it both ways. I have personally seen large throngs of people clustered together as recently as this past weekend down at the State Park and it is essentially closed to the public. DH and I went for a ride in the car and were astounded at what we saw. If the Tri-state areas that we are consulting with and DC are cleared then I am fine to open the beaches, but I just don't think the that will happen soon enough this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2020, 08:24 AM

439 posts, read 426,906 times
Thanks for the update. Rehoboth and Bethany are our vacation spots and I know we won't be booking this year (which makes us sad). After we are watching what is going on in the states that have opened we are very grateful to be in MD with Gov. Hogan. Thankfully DE is doing the same.

Old 04-21-2020, 08:27 AM

20,182 posts, read 9,083,605 times
5 more Delawareans died yesterday.

https://www.wmdt.com/2020/04/more-th...ounced-in-del/

SMYRNA, Del. – The Delaware Division of Public Health says an additional five Delawareans have died as a result of the coronavirus.

We’re told that four of the five individuals were Sussex County residents, including a 62-year-old woman, 80-year-old woman, 93-year-old man, and 95-year-old woman. The fifth was an 81-year-old Kent County woman. All of these individuals were either hospitalized or living in a long-term care facility.

Old 04-21-2020, 08:34 AM

2,372 posts, read 4,880,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Rothbear, my son hasn't let me go to a store in weeks! He's quite sure that would kill me. He goes out to do battle with the unprepared, strips to his underwear at the door, then we wash and wipe everything that has come into the house. We were both sick for weeks, but he's still fairly young, am I'm not.

I'm not sure what wins here. I've been sick many, many times in my life and have immunity to some things, but he's younger and stronger than I am.
Unfortunately our daughter lives in central NY, so we fend for ourselves. If DH absolutely has to go out we will ask one of our neighbors if they need anything because she has COPD and he is recovering from a spinal inflammation. They are the same as us, except their son lives and works in NYC.

Over the last 3 years I have been hospitalized 4 times for GI problem...3 surgeries. Last winter there was a 3 week coughing thing going around that I managed to get. Due to my weakened abs I developed 2 large hernias caused by the coughing and had major reconstructive surgery last October. The absolute LAST thing I need is to develop something with more coughing!! So I basically stay in. I think I have been in a car twice during the last 6-7 weeks. But that's OK. And yes when DH goes grocery shopping (complete with filtered mask, gloves, wipes and sanitizer) he drops everything that has to be in the fridge or freezer on the kitchen floor and I wipe off each and every item and then I wipe off the counters, wash my hands and send him in to change his clothes. Other items stay in the car in the garage for a couple of days before coming in and getting wiped down.

Stay safe!!

Last edited by rothbear; 04-21-2020 at 09:00 AM..

Old 04-21-2020, 12:45 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,919,241 times
I don't see the beaches opening anytime soon. The park traffic in my area has dwindled down some, but I (and other locals who visit the parks often) have noticed more off leash dogs which is illegal and problematic. Big sign right there telling you they must be on a leash--guess we must have many blind and/or illiterate people visiting the parks now. It's either that or they are just plain stupid.

I haven't had any issues with people encroaching on my personal space here in OV, but then again I no longer work and only leave the house to go running. I visit the grocery store about once every three weeks and I am fully protected when I go. I sanitize everything when I get home. I do all the shopping since my resistance to sickness seems to be better than my husband's and I have a bit more education in disease prevention. Never any issues when I go to my local market which seems to never be too crowded. I refuse to shop inland; I no longer go to BJ's due to reports of Millsboro being a hot spot and the fact that many say it's always crowded and people can act aggressive--no thanks.

My area has fewer cases than most towns which is impressive considering the population density. However, it's most likely due to the elderly population, most of which stay home and keep their distance from others. I give every person a wide berth when I go running and they all seem relieved that I take the initiative. I figure I am younger, I can move out of the way.

I still worry about my husband bringing the virus home from work, but so far so good. I am sure I am doing everything I need to do in order to avoid contracting it, and that's about all I can do within my power. A 46-year-old Sussex County man died from the virus who had zero health issues....that's enough to keep me on guard. Heck, I won't even order take out.

Old 04-21-2020, 02:11 PM

7,529 posts, read 10,278,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I just checked the Visit Delaware website. It says:

"In 2018, there were 9.2 million visitors to the State of Delaware (I was one of them). The Delaware tourism industry is the 4th largest private employer in the state, accounting for 44,030 jobs. The tourism industry generated $545.1 million in tax revenue. Without tourism, each Delaware household would pay an additional $1,562 in taxes."
It's not just Delaware that is facing the loss of tourist dollars. In 2018, the Philadelphia region where I live drew 45 million visitors who spent $7.6 billion (yes, billion with a "B"), creating over 100,000 jobs. So, yes, there is a lot of hurt going around - here, in Delaware and everywhere else. Ask anyone in the hospitality industry.

But please remember, you are not the only person who has had to cancel travel plans. We have cancelled two trips already this spring, and a broker who was handling a vacation rental for us later this year has gone bankrupt. But I take it in stride, as there are people who are facing more important problems than mine (and yours). Let's start with the 82 Delawareans and 342 of your fellow Tennesseans (and counting) who have lost their lives to date.

Then there are millions of people whose livelihood is at stake - people with mortgages, car payments, children to raise and parents to support. There are business owners who will never see their businesses reopen. There are doctors and nurses who are risking their lives to help people with the virus. There is a lady I spoke with recently who works at a nursing home. She can't hug her children at night because she has to quarantine once she gets home - no doubt exhausted.

Really, doesn't canceling a trip seem a minor inconvenience in the big picture?

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 04-21-2020 at 02:37 PM..

Old 04-21-2020, 06:30 PM

829 posts, read 631,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
I don't see the beaches opening anytime soon. The park traffic in my area has dwindled down some, but I (and other locals who visit the parks often) have noticed more off leash dogs which is illegal and problematic. Big sign right there telling you they must be on a leash--guess we must have many blind and/or illiterate people visiting the parks now. It's either that or they are just plain stupid.

I haven't had any issues with people encroaching on my personal space here in OV, but then again I no longer work and only leave the house to go running. I visit the grocery store about once every three weeks and I am fully protected when I go. I sanitize everything when I get home. I do all the shopping since my resistance to sickness seems to be better than my husband's and I have a bit more education in disease prevention. Never any issues when I go to my local market which seems to never be too crowded. I refuse to shop inland; I no longer go to BJ's due to reports of Millsboro being a hot spot and the fact that many say it's always crowded and people can act aggressive--no thanks.

My area has fewer cases than most towns which is impressive considering the population density. However, it's most likely due to the elderly population, most of which stay home and keep their distance from others. I give every person a wide berth when I go running and they all seem relieved that I take the initiative. I figure I am younger, I can move out of the way.

I still worry about my husband bringing the virus home from work, but so far so good. I am sure I am doing everything I need to do in order to avoid contracting it, and that's about all I can do within my power. A 46-year-old Sussex County man died from the virus who had zero health issues....that's enough to keep me on guard. Heck, I won't even order take out.
We've also avoided BJ's because I feared it would be crowded and it's such a big store that I felt I'd be in there longer than I felt comfortable. We've gradually transitioned to delivery and some pick-up - and I have to tell you that I actually like the grocery store, so this is a real concession. Like you, we wipe down everything refrigerated and frozen before storing it and the rest goes to a table on the basement, where I leave it for a few days, then go down and wipe it all down with disinfecting wipes, let that dry a day and then put it on either basement shelves or bring it to the pantry. I know the FDA is now saying you don't have to do this, but we've seen some reversals, so it's just one way I'm spending the abundance of time at home!!

We've also done no carry-out, though tomorrow I am going to pick up an order of a half dozen bagels from Panera (they bring them to your vehicle … I'd hoped I could go in and grab them from the Rapid Pick-Up right inside the door, but apparently not. We just figured we would err on the side of caution in every way we can. Not going out is SO not us - but it's not worth taking a chance.

As much as I long for the area to have a summer season, I fear it won't be "normal" and it really worries me for our area businesses. Even if they can't/don't open the beach, I'm hoping at some point they'll allow small stores to open and eventually restaurants can open, even if with reduced capacity to allow more space between customers. I think we (my husband and I) will probably be very cautious about venturing out, but we would go to small stores to shop and support them if we could do so safely - going at more quiet times of day.

Good luck in staying healthy, beachliz - and everyone else!!

Old 04-21-2020, 07:12 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,919,241 times
Thanks, lyndyb! I just came back from a short trip down the highway to take some sunset pics. It's amazing how dead it is around here in the evening--no restaurants to dine in, no gyms are open, no boardwalk to stroll so nobody is really out and about at night. I took some great pics though! I am really trying to enjoy the little things and focus on what I can do....and definitely getting back into my amateur photography.

BJ's...yeah, avoid it for awhile. I have heard about people getting into fights and they have armed security there now. Everyone at my local market is scared to get near anyone so no worries there. I think I counted five cars parked at the market when I drove by around 7:30 this evening.

Well, it looks like the usual people are still posting on here so I assume everyone is well and virus free--which is great!! I will be relieved when everything goes back to normal, but it is going to be months before we see any semblance of normal again.

Old 04-21-2020, 08:49 PM

13,064 posts, read 18,168,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
Thanks, lyndyb! I just came back from a short trip down the highway to take some sunset pics. It's amazing how dead it is around here in the evening--no restaurants to dine in, no gyms are open, no boardwalk to stroll so nobody is really out and about at night. I took some great pics though! I am really trying to enjoy the little things and focus on what I can do....and definitely getting back into my amateur photography.

BJ's...yeah, avoid it for awhile. I have heard about people getting into fights and they have armed security there now. Everyone at my local market is scared to get near anyone so no worries there. I think I counted five cars parked at the market when I drove by around 7:30 this evening.

Well, it looks like the usual people are still posting on here so I assume everyone is well and virus free--which is great!! I will be relieved when everything goes back to normal, but it is going to be months before we see any semblance of normal again.
Beach Liz we are doing ok. A new puppy is keeping me busy. I wanted to wash windows today but the 4 legged baby took too much of my time and the storm clouds moved in. Maybe tomorrow. Hope you and DH stay safe and sound.

Old 04-21-2020, 09:08 PM

829 posts, read 631,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Beach Liz we are doing ok. A new puppy is keeping me busy. I wanted to wash windows today but the 4 legged baby took too much of my time and the storm clouds moved in. Maybe tomorrow. Hope you and DH stay safe and sound.
That was some storm, wasn't it? I live off Angola Road and we didn't get much thunder/lightening, but we had heavy rain and wind and then it was suddenly over - and we the sun came out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware