Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 09:00 PM

90 posts, read 312,786 times

Advertisements

I dont' see anything wrong with Northern Delaware---no more than anywhere else.
My only concern about any area would be "Are there jobs"?

I dont' know the answer to that question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 10:32 AM

7 posts, read 16,909 times
Default Retired.

Hello, I've checked around and I need some serious input from people living in northern Del. I'm mid 50's, just retired from a union job in Long Island NY. Have a son in the Navy stationed in Norfolk Va., Have family in NJ... Northern Del. puts me right in the middle. Heres my question, My wife and I are looking to buy a home for around $250,000. Any suggestions on the best areas to look, nice safe and friendly is what we want. Just the two of us, so schools are not in the mix. Just a great neighborhood to call home. thanks.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:35 PM

35 posts, read 72,102 times
Default move to de from va

if you would like an older home w/ some character then i would suggest the bellefonte area. (19809 zip) bellefonte is like it's own little town. it's really cute. another great neighborhood close to everything is fairfax.
i love that neighborhood. it has sidewalks & it's just real quaint. (zip 19803) you can definitely get a house there for under 250. there are some split levels and colonials in fairfax.
McDaniel Crest is another nice neighborhood off of Rt. 202. There are a mix of different types of house there too.
if you want a maintenance-free brick rancher (w/ basement) Afton is a nice affordable development on PA/DE border off of Marsh Rd. (which is off of Naamans) in N. Wilmington. i would suggest connecting w/ a realtor.
if you need one, I can refer you to the realtor that we used. he was great. just contact me. good luck!!!

Old 02-01-2011, 05:37 PM

35 posts, read 72,102 times
Default move to de from long island

oh sorry. i meant move from long island, ny. your son is in va not you. sorry for the mix-up.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:02 PM

51 posts, read 109,441 times
1. Road system
2. Decadent/ugly feel of northern Delaware
3. Mid-Atlantic winters
4. Expensive living costs
5. Good and bad areas too inter-mixed
6. Crime is pretty bad
7. If you live in the north like 90% of everyone who lives in Delaware, closest major cities are Philadelphia and Baltimore.....they're not exactly great cities, though Philly has some redeeming qualities
8. Mall is a zoo
9. Just not too much to do in Delaware itself
10. Everytime I drink the water, I fear I'll wake up with a tentacle

Old 02-07-2011, 05:08 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,414,409 times
What exactly is wrong with the road system? Have you been to states where they are crumbling? I can't see that one at all.

Expensive living costs? Huh?

Philadelphia has the third largest downtown in the country.

Where exactly are you from that Philly isn't cosmopolitan enough, yet New Castle County is expensive? Toronto?

Old 02-08-2011, 06:36 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,974,466 times
Decadent? And ugly? - clearly the poster hasn't been in any of the beautiful backwoods and countryside of northern Delaware. Mid-Atlantic winters? Often they're pretty mild and certainly are always milder than winters in the Midwest, the Rocky Mtn region, New England, New York State, and northern/northwest Pennsylvania. "Mall is a zoo" -- I suppose he's referring to Christiana Mall: well, yes, it can be quite crowded at certain times, like around holidays or weekends but in general it's pretty sedate. Not much to do in Delaware? It's a small state and if you need activities beyond what the state offers you can easily travel to adjacent areas on the east coast.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:02 AM

728 posts, read 1,782,014 times
Northern Delaware is pretty darn ugly... I don't know why I waste my time exploring it.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:31 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,974,466 times
Thanks Raven! Got any pics up around Centreville, Mt Cuba, Granogue, or Hoope's Reservoir?

Old 02-11-2011, 08:13 AM

728 posts, read 1,782,014 times
I dont yet, I havent explored that particular area of the state yet. Even More sad, I know Philly better as I'm there 12 hours a day...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware