Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 10:45 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,571,486 times

Advertisements

N delaware sounds like Alabama, minus the engrained social segregation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 03:25 AM

76 posts, read 108,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallouise View Post
It was over a year ago, but Kellz at the top of this page said: "We have nice carnivals (the best was the Italian Festival & even though it ALWAYS that seemed to get shot up"

The Italian Festival still very much exists and was never once "shot up". The person who built up that festival over the decades was a very close friend of my family. More Wilmington scare-mongering by an outsider...who considers Olive Garden to be one of Delaware's best restaurants.

Looking forward to the festival in a couple of months. There's also the Greek Festival, the Clifford Brown Jazz Festival, the Arden Fair, and all of the Sussex County festivals.

Sorry to pop anyone's balloon but this so-called Italian Festival is hack, a joke. Wilmington is a post-industrial wasteland and anything associated with it is half rate. Of course, this place is mind numbingly boring and any festival is sure to draw a crowd. Face it: Little Italy has long been a ghetto (fyi: originally an italian word) and infested, take a drive through and take a good look, there are no real italian markets or bakeries (actually none in Delaware and those in Philly are not great), no cafes or trattorias. Out of sheer boredom we tried going the last 2 years but just left since they are full of questionable looking locals and no food attractions. I'm used to real festivals such as in NY, Boston or Providence, with good and authentic food, not sauce out of a can.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:27 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,796,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
N delaware sounds like Alabama, minus the engrained social segregation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_visiting 9 View Post
Sorry to pop anyone's balloon but this so-called Italian Festival is hack, a joke. Wilmington is a post-industrial wasteland and anything associated with it is half rate. Of course, this place is mind numbingly boring and any festival is sure to draw a crowd. Face it: Little Italy has long been a ghetto (fyi: originally an italian word) and infested, take a drive through and take a good look, there are no real italian markets or bakeries (actually none in Delaware and those in Philly are not great), no cafes or trattorias. Out of sheer boredom we tried going the last 2 years but just left since they are full of questionable looking locals and no food attractions. I'm used to real festivals such as in NY, Boston or Providence, with good and authentic food, not sauce out of a can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertdebra View Post
Great this informative post give me much benefit i plan the same their are realy much traffic in the city .Now i move to Montgomery Alabama the beautiful and peaceful city.
Three nit wits.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:48 AM

76 posts, read 108,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Three nit wits.
Mark Twain — 'Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.'

My Quote - 'If ignorance is bliss then there are a lot of happy people out there'

p.s.: there is a world out there beyond the state of Dull-aware, check it out sometime, if you dare.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:00 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,623,570 times
Pretty: 'I'm used to real festivals such as in NY, Boston or Providence'...

If that is true, I'd think that's probably due to perhaps two things. One is the fact that 'oldsters' are still around and we know they know how to cook and bake! The other is that newer generations have learned from the best and continue the 'traditions'. But I think that is getting harder as well nowadays.

But I'd say as the older generation passes away it gets harder to keep traditions. Look at Little Italy in NY. Each year there are fewer and fewer 'traditional 'Italian' businesses. They say Little Italy is now simply a name cashing in on tourists.

I'd think the decline of tradition also exists in other states as well and to a matter of degree.
Things are always changing!

Old 03-31-2015, 09:14 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,796,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_visiting 9 View Post
Mark Twain — 'Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.'
Exactly!

Old 03-31-2015, 10:24 PM

4 posts, read 11,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngprodigy21 View Post
Even if I won the lottery tomorrow, I would have zero interest in paying thousands of dollars for an black and white license plate. You must have to be from Delaware to want to spend that much money on a freaking license plate.
really admire you can hit the lottery when their books without ever playing to win is.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:12 AM

3 posts, read 3,745 times
Default I agree with number 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
I'll give you an accurate top 10 you've been wanting.

1. Inferiority Complex - You may develop this. Everyone everywhere compares everything with every bigger, better city around. Oh, the pizza's better in NY, people dress better in NY, the clubs are better in Philly, the houses are cheaper in Dover, the beaches are better in Jersey. This traffic is worse than________. This traffic is nothing compared to __________. Everyone compares Delaware to something they think is better. Get used to that.

2. Racism/Closed-Mindedness. Yeah, this is the Northeast sorta. However, the racial issues are still really really bad, and if you're a gay, or an atheist, don't plan to encounter open minds

3. Lots of Drugs, nothing to do, Depression/Anxiety - This area seems to be conducive to drug problems, with the large number of drugs, and proportionately lower level of things to do. Statistics are pretty bad on this. There's something about having all the worst qualities of an urban area, with little urban attractions, or having a taste of grass lawn, but traffic and highways instead of open space. Real city people are depressed living here, because it's not a true city area, and real rural-types are disappointed because however how spacious their house and hard is, they're surrounded by traffic and shopping centers, and highways. Maybe that's my opinion (??)

4. Perceived cancer threat - like lots of places in the Northeast, the air is bad, the soil is very chemical (dupont dumped here for over 200 years,) and thus the cancer rates are pretty damned high.

5. Schools - Public Schools suck, if you want college prep, gotta pay for private school.

6. Transportation - Buses don't run on Sunday, so you better drive. No light rail, no regional rail (except for Septa R2)

7. New Castle county has DUI problems. If you are a drinker, you have to move within the area of trolley square. There are no cabs outside of the train station, no trans at night, so if you plan on having a nightlife, move to Trolley Sq Wilmington or Downtown Newark. They will get you!!

8. Up In your Business - people in Delaware are "all up in your business" - not a problem if you're from a smaller or more southern place, but if you're from a city, you will notice people staring at you on buses, talking to you in the supermarket, knocking on your door if they hear a sound.

9. Fashion - I'm from Wilmington, but I didn't notice how bad the area is dressed for being in the Northeast Corridor. Jeans and a t-shirt to the club.... what?

10. Meanness - not to be confused with unfriendly, because people in the area will say hi, but people can be very belligerant once provoked, road rage is pretty present, and lots of people try to be badassess and rep whatever development in New Castle they're from (come on, it's New Castle... not Al Qaeda.. stop being such a badass gangster)

Basically, if I can touch on my Depression/Drugs/semi-urban/suburban thing...

The area seems to continue the ambience of dirty streets, rudeness, and crime from the Northeast, and mix it with McMansions, and it seems like if you are a person looking for a northeast city experience, you are left with a void due to Philly being close but not too close (nightlife, shopping, downtown attractions), and if you are looking for a relaxed, living large feeling, you don't quite get that because of the attitudes, the traffic, and low quality of schools. New Castle County is somewhere in the middle.

There are mainly 3 types of Northern Delaware opinions.

NYer/Philadelphian: We wanted a lawn, but theres nothing to do, people are hicks, back home was better

Southern Delawarean: We wanted a better job, but crime sucks, we hate traffic baah the city sucks

Native Wilmingtonian: I love trolley square and shopping at Kohl's. MM Grotto Pizza. Philly is too big and busy, and lower Delaware is all hicks.

Yeah.. maybe I'm crazy.. but that's how it is.

I moved out of New Castle county because, from Wilmington, the area gave me everything I ever needed in terms of adequate jobs, housing, and all, but it didn't have enough to offer me for the big-city attitudes, crime, and commuting stress it gave me. Wilmington is a fine small city, but the downtown is pathetic, and I wanted either an vibrant, urban culture, or I wanted a laid back, country/beach atmosphere where I could chill out and enjoy my days.

I found myself searching for arts and life and culture, but only halfassing it, or looking for peace, and nice people, and open spaces, and not even halfassing that.
With number two, it is bad because I'm atheist and everyone hates me. If you are not Christian, Catholic, Buddhist, or Hindu, it can get bad, at least in NCC.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:35 AM

9,730 posts, read 14,282,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlitoo View Post
lol who do you hang with? I've never heard of a religious person hating an atheist up here. In Sussex or maybe Kent I could understand, but up here? You might just have bad luck.
Interesting trail of previous posts. So interesting, that the above deserves no response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware