Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 04:59 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,017,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie Mouse9 View Post
If you hate northern Delaware so much then move.
I'm surprised there isn't a thread called "10 things I hate about Southern Delaware"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 05:53 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,917,917 times
gwilly--Oh, just give 'em time....

Old 05-14-2011, 03:59 PM

27 posts, read 39,847 times
1. How boring it is
2. People here, especially the stupid teens are very intolorant
3.ppl in the cars
4. how small it is
thats all i have to say

Old 05-14-2011, 06:13 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,419,548 times
Oh, you mean "those people in the cars," yeah I hate that too. Great list.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:56 AM

14,188 posts, read 22,779,234 times
I hate the fact that Delaware's northern border is so ROUND!!!

Old 05-15-2011, 06:25 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,991,481 times
It's the only state border in the USA that is in fact a true arc, and was designed to be that way. More accurately, the northern county line of New Castle County was drawn as an arc, so determined by William Penn, as what is now DE was at the time the three lower counties [of Pennsylvania] upon the Delaware. Penn actually wasn't interested in the land making up the three lower counties, but needed it in order to have control of the Delaware Bay and hence of unimpeded shipping between Philadelphia and the Atlantic.

Old 12-21-2013, 03:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,547 times
Default Great Insight about Delaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
I'll give you an accurate top 10 you've been wanting.

1. Inferiority Complex - You may develop this. Everyone everywhere compares everything with every bigger, better city around. Oh, the pizza's better in NY, people dress better in NY, the clubs are better in Philly, the houses are cheaper in Dover, the beaches are better in Jersey. This traffic is worse than________. This traffic is nothing compared to __________. Everyone compares Delaware to something they think is better. Get used to that.

2. Racism/Closed-Mindedness. Yeah, this is the Northeast sorta. However, the racial issues are still really really bad, and if you're a gay, or an atheist, don't plan to encounter open minds

3. Lots of Drugs, nothing to do, Depression/Anxiety - This area seems to be conducive to drug problems, with the large number of drugs, and proportionately lower level of things to do. Statistics are pretty bad on this. There's something about having all the worst qualities of an urban area, with little urban attractions, or having a taste of grass lawn, but traffic and highways instead of open space. Real city people are depressed living here, because it's not a true city area, and real rural-types are disappointed because however how spacious their house and hard is, they're surrounded by traffic and shopping centers, and highways. Maybe that's my opinion (??)

4. Perceived cancer threat - like lots of places in the Northeast, the air is bad, the soil is very chemical (dupont dumped here for over 200 years,) and thus the cancer rates are pretty damned high.

5. Schools - Public Schools suck, if you want college prep, gotta pay for private school.

6. Transportation - Buses don't run on Sunday, so you better drive. No light rail, no regional rail (except for Septa R2)

7. New Castle county has DUI problems. If you are a drinker, you have to move within the area of trolley square. There are no cabs outside of the train station, no trans at night, so if you plan on having a nightlife, move to Trolley Sq Wilmington or Downtown Newark. They will get you!!

8. Up In your Business - people in Delaware are "all up in your business" - not a problem if you're from a smaller or more southern place, but if you're from a city, you will notice people staring at you on buses, talking to you in the supermarket, knocking on your door if they hear a sound.

9. Fashion - I'm from Wilmington, but I didn't notice how bad the area is dressed for being in the Northeast Corridor. Jeans and a t-shirt to the club.... what?

10. Meanness - not to be confused with unfriendly, because people in the area will say hi, but people can be very belligerant once provoked, road rage is pretty present, and lots of people try to be badassess and rep whatever development in New Castle they're from (come on, it's New Castle... not Al Qaeda.. stop being such a badass gangster)

Basically, if I can touch on my Depression/Drugs/semi-urban/suburban thing...

The area seems to continue the ambience of dirty streets, rudeness, and crime from the Northeast, and mix it with McMansions, and it seems like if you are a person looking for a northeast city experience, you are left with a void due to Philly being close but not too close (nightlife, shopping, downtown attractions), and if you are looking for a relaxed, living large feeling, you don't quite get that because of the attitudes, the traffic, and low quality of schools. New Castle County is somewhere in the middle.

There are mainly 3 types of Northern Delaware opinions.

NYer/Philadelphian: We wanted a lawn, but theres nothing to do, people are hicks, back home was better

Southern Delawarean: We wanted a better job, but crime sucks, we hate traffic baah the city sucks

Native Wilmingtonian: I love trolley square and shopping at Kohl's. MM Grotto Pizza. Philly is too big and busy, and lower Delaware is all hicks.

Yeah.. maybe I'm crazy.. but that's how it is.

I moved out of New Castle county because, from Wilmington, the area gave me everything I ever needed in terms of adequate jobs, housing, and all, but it didn't have enough to offer me for the big-city attitudes, crime, and commuting stress it gave me. Wilmington is a fine small city, but the downtown is pathetic, and I wanted either an vibrant, urban culture, or I wanted a laid back, country/beach atmosphere where I could chill out and enjoy my days.

I found myself searching for arts and life and culture, but only halfassing it, or looking for peace, and nice people, and open spaces, and not even halfassing that.

I really liked your response. It describes what I've experienced to a tee. I'm from NY and I try to find the good in things so I gave it this place the benefit of the doubt but the people and...i literally wanted to rip people's heads off. It seems like being friendly but fake is more important than competency thus far in my dealings with doctors and other staff. I just don't get it . And worst of all is the sense of entitlement..

Old 12-21-2013, 04:07 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,197,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahx7bell View Post
I really liked your response. It describes what I've experienced to a tee. I'm from NY and I try to find the good in things so I gave it this place the benefit of the doubt but the people and...i literally wanted to rip people's heads off. It seems like being friendly but fake is more important than competency thus far in my dealings with doctors and other staff. I just don't get it . And worst of all is the sense of entitlement..
I feel so sorry for you. I hope you can again find employment in New York..

Old 12-22-2013, 08:14 AM

9,732 posts, read 14,288,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahx7bell View Post
That comment is exactly why we Delaware locals look at NY'ers sideways. I can count on one hand the NY'ers I've met who are calm, friendly, and without attitudes.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:23 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,936,420 times
Everything about N. DE sucks. There's absolutely nothing to do except to run from strip mall to strip mall. The restaurants in N. DE are subpar compared to what you can find in actual towns that exist in mainline PA or suburbs in MD such as Bathesda, Frederick, etc.

N. DE is terrible. You can't even find a cafe for miles where they roast beans in house and bake their own pastries. It's hilarious how you can read on review sites that some of the best places to hang out in N. DE are commercial strip mall places like Buffalo Wild Wings and Hooters, and some of the best places for coffee in DE are Wawa and Dunkin Donuts (don't even bother mentioning brew haha etc, its nothing compared to what many other towns have).

Everything about N. DE sucks (28 years living exp. in DE and exp. living in other states and towns).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware