Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 07:30 AM

32 posts, read 193,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by By~Tor View Post
JUST AN UPDATE:

I want to thank you guys for all your help... we found a realtor we're comfortable with, and we'll be coming down this weekend to look in the NE Philly area. There seem to be several great options there and we're eager to get the ball rolling and start figuring out where in the 19135 / 19125 areas we're going to wind up!

Just a notefor you,

I grew up in North East Philly and ALL areas of Northeast Philly are declining at a steady pace. If schools are an issue, I would NEVER send my kid to a Philadelphia Public school.

Good Luck in your move I hope you find all you are looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 08:55 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,677,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal68 View Post
Just a notefor you,

I grew up in North East Philly and ALL areas of Northeast Philly are declining at a steady pace. If schools are an issue, I would NEVER send my kid to a Philadelphia Public school.

Good Luck in your move I hope you find all you are looking for.
Hi Postal,
We just moved to DE from Northeast Philly after living there for 38 years.
You are so right in saying this area has declined.
We drove back last week to take care of business and I noticed how the area has gone down. We are so glad we got out of there.
The philly public schools aways did scare me so we sent our kids to parochial schools. Cost us a fortune and the well went dry when it came time for college.
My girls put themselves through and we are so proud of their accomplishments.

Our zip was 19114 but I did live in 19135 which is awful now i'm sorry to say.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:07 AM

32 posts, read 193,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
Hi Postal,
We just moved to DE from Northeast Philly after living there for 38 years.
You are so right in saying this area has declined.
We drove back last week to take care of business and I noticed how the area has gone down. We are so glad we got out of there.
The philly public schools aways did scare me so we sent our kids to parochial schools. Cost us a fortune and the well went dry when it came time for college.
My girls put themselves through and we are so proud of their accomplishments.

Our zip was 19114 but I did live in 19135 which is awful now i'm sorry to say.
I know what you mean, we were close to you in 19154 right behind Archbishop Ryan HS, my parents still live there and even that area is no where near what it once was.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal68 View Post
I know what you mean, we were close to you in 19154 right behind Archbishop Ryan HS, my parents still live there and even that area is no where near what it once was.

My girls went to Ryan. Guess you heard about Father charles? Lousey thing was principal at one time. he was involved in dealing and taking drugs, stealing money from the school and sexual abuse.

We moved to 19114 24 years ago and at that time, it was nice but gradually it has been going down hill.
We are so glad we moved.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:16 PM

5 posts, read 17,861 times
Only places to live in Philly if you have kids are Roxborough, parts of Manayunk or the FAR Northeast.

19135 - Mayfair ~~~ sort of OK.
19125 - Norther Libs OK I say - if you are talking 19125 Lower Kensington -- Stay Away! IMHO.

But for price range you mentioned in 1st post (LOW $100k range) there's not a lot anywhere.

If you have been paying $1500/mo rent you could easily afford $150k house, with lots of $$ left over.
Still, in current market, I would RENT for a year or two until things settle.
Right now they're settling allright - settling DOWN. <lol>

Old 01-27-2008, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riick View Post
Only places to live in Philly if you have kids are Roxborough, parts of Manayunk or the FAR Northeast.

19135 - Mayfair ~~~ sort of OK.
19125 - Norther Libs OK I say - if you are talking 19125 Lower Kensington -- Stay Away! IMHO.

But for price range you mentioned in 1st post (LOW $100k range) there's not a lot anywhere.

If you have been paying $1500/mo rent you could easily afford $150k house, with lots of $$ left over.
Still, in current market, I would RENT for a year or two until things settle.
Right now they're settling allright - settling DOWN. <lol>
I'm not familiar with roxborough or Manayunk but did live in the far northeast zip 19114. Used to live in Mayfair 25 years ago but that is a mess now. Unfortunately, the mess is moving on up. Still know people in 19135 and would visit from time to time. Both hubby and I would say we are so glad we moved
Now 19114 is starting to look a little iffy. We lived in Torresdale which was really nice at one time and still is sort of but feel it is only a matter of time.

I just retired and at first we thought maybe we would move to bucks or Montgomery counties. But they are a tad expensive. So we started looking beyond and ended up in DE and very happy.

Nothing wrong with renting for a while but when the market is really good then jump in with both feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware