Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2008, 11:04 AM

4 posts, read 20,999 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to the Delaware, Philly or Baltimore area in a couple of months and need some advice on housing. I will be managing a district that spans from Philly to Baltimore and will be travelling frequently throughout the territory. I am married with a stay-at-home wife who homeschools my 9 year old son and cares for my 5 month old son as well. I will be looking to purchase a house in the $250,000 - $400,000 range. I want my family to be in a safe and family friendly city/neighborhood. I would like to find a place in a smaller more rural type of location, but this isn't a requirement. I would also prefer a location where my max commute would be 1 hour. I can be located anywhere in the territory. I thought since DE is between the two largest markets (Philly / Baltimore) that this may be the ideal area. Any suggestions on where I can find whatI am looking for? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 12:49 PM

4,138 posts, read 4,551,245 times
Default Delaware may be your best bet

I'm from Baltimore, born and raised. First, if you are looking for affordable housing in a decent neighborhood Baltimore is not the spot. Real estate taxes are outragous. Our utility bills went up 72% last year with more increases coming. Violent crime in the city is undeniably one of the highest in the nation. Downtown Baltimore has some great areas around the harbor but venture too far in any direction and you are in trouble. Delaware has very affordable housing, is not too congested and you are an hour from Phili or Baltimore (both great places to visit but not necessarily great places to live). Dover DE has great prices on real estate and is within an hour to the beach. A bit more rural but maybe worth the trade off. Visit Baltimore and Phili for some long weekends and check out the residential neighborhoods. But I personally would not buy a house in Baltimore. Maryland is too expensive and the city has too many problems. Best of luck.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:00 PM

699 posts, read 2,901,676 times
If you live in northern DE, you will be easily 1 hour from both Baltimore and Philly. We live further south in Kent County. We are 1 1/2 hours from BWI and 1 1/4 from PHL airports.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:15 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,635,308 times
If you are traveling around through all three, find a place that you can relax after all that driving. It would make sense to locate yourself where you will have the least amount of commute. Baltimore is no more expensive than Philadelphia and they both have some great areas to choose from. I always liked New Castle, Delaware. It is a nice little town. Or, on the bay somewhere north of Baltimore.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:56 AM

7 posts, read 33,791 times
I've lived in MD my entire life. I agree with nurider2002. MD is not the place is use to be. The price of electricity has gone up 72%, sales taxes went up 20% and housing is not that affordable. I would suggest DE. I am starting to look there myself. Good luck.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:50 PM

15 posts, read 54,178 times
I have lived in Delaware for the past 4 years, I was born and raised in Philly and many of my family members reside in Maryland. If you are considering the taxes then DE is certainly the place for you. Delaware is a great place to raise a family. I have been an agent for 3 years, if you are looking to get the most out of your money then Middletown, Smyrna wll gve you that. It is up and coming areas. Maryland has some nice areas also but you are going to pay for that niceness. DE Taxes are the best.
Good luck!

Old 01-18-2008, 11:09 PM

4 posts, read 20,999 times
Thank you all very much for the info. I really appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware