Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2013, 12:32 PM

9 posts, read 26,984 times

Advertisements

We are trying to decide whether we can live in Delaware if/when we move back next Spring. I would prefer to do that or be in a far western PA suburb. Most of our friends are in Newark, Hockessin area. I love the Ashland Nature Center area but can't afford it. Pike Creek would be ok.

When are you moving? Spring 2014
Where are you coming from? Indianapolis, IN
Why are you moving? Work
Where will you be working? 8th and Market, Philadelphia
Have you been here yet? I graduated from Widener. I lived in Delaware before and after that, mostly in the Newark and Pike Creek area. My husband is a Delaware alum.

Will you buy or rent? Buy
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? $400,000

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married, two kids, ages 10 and 6
Do you prefer public or private schools? prefer public if that is possible -
Do you have pets? two dogs
Do you want or need a yard? yes
Are you keeping a car? yes, 2
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? calm and quiet

What do you want to be closest to?
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Train or subway stations
Friends in Newark area

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Yes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 09:22 PM

656 posts, read 1,355,271 times
Are you working a regular 8-5 job? Because that commute on 95 most mornings would be hell. Maybe think about taking the train into work? For 400,000 you could find a home in Hockessin/Pike Creek area for sure and maybe looking into North Wilmington ( alittle closer to Philly)

Old 11-26-2013, 07:00 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,185,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebuch View Post
Are you working a regular 8-5 job? Because that commute on 95 most mornings would be hell. Maybe think about taking the train into work? For 400,000 you could find a home in Hockessin/Pike Creek area for sure and maybe looking into North Wilmington ( alittle closer to Philly)
I am down state and don't know the neighborhoods but I certainly agree take the train. I 95 and the Expressway is not the way to start your day.

Old 11-30-2013, 03:36 PM

700 posts, read 1,817,874 times
May want to look where the R2 comes into Philly as to where you will be working. Sometimes it's quite a walk. Sometimes not. I vote for North Wilmington. Easy on/off I-95. The R2 (Philly Train) stops in Claymont as well as Wilmington. I think the Claymont line is longer as it stops at a lot of places on the way to Suburban Station. Not the express train. Have to look at Amtrak's schedules.
Also in N Wilm the Brandywine school district is one of the best (so I've heard). I grew up in N Wilm and some areas have changes, some not. What comes to mind in your price range is Tavistock, Channin, Edenridge ($$$) and a few I can't remember right now.
Depends on what size lot you're looking for as well. The drive to Philly is do-able in case you miss the train or need to do errands after work. However it does get jammed up. I think you would be better off with the train until you get established in case you're an hour late one morning.
Have a good realtor we've used twice if you need a reference. DM me if you want her info.
Oh, and what's with the roads in IN? I came back from St Louis and if I remember correctly, IN had the bounciest roads! Bounced me out of the truck seat a few times.
Oh also, welcome to DE!!!!!

Old 11-30-2013, 04:04 PM

700 posts, read 1,817,874 times
Come to think of it, Edenridge is probably much more. Take a look at Brandywood as well as Chalfonte. They I think are running in the 300K+ range. Usually 1/4 acre lots.
Being you are still a few months off, you do have time to look. Maybe a trip here for a few days and look the area over.
Again, I would stay N Wilm but the R2 I believe starts in Newark. So....... the list is open.

Best of luck!

Old 11-30-2013, 07:45 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,927,812 times
May want to look into a town on or near the mainline such as Media, PA etc. Hockessin is too far away from I-95/495. It will get old quickly. There's also a lot more to do in town on the mainline than suburbia DE, since most of DE is set up as neighborhood, neighborhood, neighborhood-strip mall, strip mall, strip mall rather than neighborhood--main street-town like many places in PA.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:54 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Whenever we moved our two priorities were the commute and the school system. Both had to be very good. This website will give you basic numbers to compare schools: SchoolDigger.com - the Easy Way to Evaluate K-12 School Performance Unfortunately, you cannot compare schools across state lines, because each state has different tests.

Several years ago we were in a situation where my husband was going to be working across the Commodore Barry Bridge in NJ. We researched schools in NJ, PA and DE (we are both originally from DE but had been living in Chester county, PA) we felt that the schools in Garnet Valley, PA were our best choice and the commute was better too. If I were you, I would seriously consider schools in PA as well as DE. Our house was on the actual state line so we pretty much did all of our shopping in Delaware, but had the good PA schools.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:05 AM

9 posts, read 26,984 times
Thanks for the feedback. When I commuted to Philly before from Delaware, Pike Creek area, I did take the train and I loved it. I came through Claymont. I would have to look at the schedule again, but I think that the Amtrak times were too limited for me. My preference for Delaware is mostly because we know people there. Getting back to those relationships is one motivation for the move. I don't want to have to commute to our social lives on the weekends.

As for Indy roads - I have nothing. I have only been here for 3 years and they are horrible.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:04 AM

56 posts, read 161,073 times
We just moved into Claymont and start our commute to Philly at about 7:15am. It's not too bad at that time, but the ride home can be a bit frustrating between 476 and 322 if we leave after 5pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware