Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 11:34 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,977,716 times

Advertisements

Mod cut - Please note that this thread was started in 2014OK, here's a question for you Sussex folks. I was recently in an unfortunate discussion on facebook (a friend of a friend) who contended that his parents live in Lewes or at least have a Lewes zip code, and maintained that there are chicken farms in close enough proximity that the stench wafts into Lewes. I have reason to think he was making this up, as (1) I have never detected any unpleasant aromas around Lewes, Milton, or Rehoboth; (2) he was generally ragging on Delware and some of his statements weren't credible.

I had always thought that the chicken operations were in far south/southwest Sussex. Where exactly are these chicken farms and in what areas is their airborne fragrance problematic? Any possible truth to the assertion that you can smell chicken farm aromas around the Lewes ?

Last edited by toobusytoday; 06-16-2019 at 06:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 12:18 PM

27 posts, read 65,405 times
I live in a Lewes zip code off of Camp Arrowhead rd. and I don't smell the chicken plants. I know there is a Mountaire chicken plant on Rte. 24 near Millsboro . I drove by them today and didn't smell anything. I rode past last week and could smell something but only while in front of the place.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:49 PM

71 posts, read 205,371 times
We too live in a Lewes zip code off of Camp Arrowhead rd. We have never smelled the chicken plants. The Mountaire plant is the only one that I am aware of too. There is a dairy on rt404 that can smell rich but the fresh ice cream makes up for it! I can't imagine being able to smell it in Lewes proper, though.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:02 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,187,704 times
The plant on 24 really used to stink. They have done a lot of work and driving past now you would not notice any odor.I do not know of any chicken farms in the Lewes zip code. Most of the time even if you were in an area with a chicken farm you would not notice it unless they had just gotten rid of a flock and were cleaning the manure out and/or spreading it on the fields. Those coming into the area should think about this first. The farmers and processors were here first.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:37 PM

71 posts, read 205,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
...Those coming into the area should think about this first. The farmers and processors were here first.
I totally agree.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:14 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,911,223 times
There is a small chicken farm located by the Millville Town Hall, which is about a mile or so from my house. I can smell it if the wind blows just right on a a hot summer day--nothing horrible, but it was here before we were. There are homes RIGHT next to it and I could never deal with that personally (not just because of the stench but also the health risks), but we're far enough away that I don't pay much mind to it. It's pretty rank when we ride our bikes by it though.

Old 05-17-2014, 06:05 PM

14 posts, read 25,818 times
What they are smelling is the god-awful chicken manure that local farms are using to fertilize. Its disgusting!!!!

Old 05-17-2014, 06:09 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Drove by the Mountainair plant this afternoon and while it was not awful it was not pleasant. On the way back stopped at Dairy Queen got a cone, frozen roof of mouth blocks the sense of smell!!!! It should be noted that I only smelled it when the plant was within sight.

Last edited by nuts2uiam; 05-17-2014 at 06:18 PM..

Old 05-17-2014, 06:17 PM

9,722 posts, read 14,260,591 times
I LOVE this topic!!!
Everybody pass the word:

Sussex County remains the No. 1 broiler chicken-producing county in the nation, a position that dates back to the 1940s, and Delaware retained its spot as the state with the largest amount of lima bean acres harvested, according to 2012 Census of Agriculture data released by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

http://news.delaware.gov/2014/05/02/...-census-shows/

Old 05-17-2014, 10:14 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,260,404 times
Years ago, just about this time of year, the smell of dead horseshoe crabs was pretty pungent, at least on Rehoboth Bay in Dewey. I think there might have been a similar problem on the Delaware Bay shores of Lewes.

That hasn't been a problem in years because, sadly, the horseshoe crab population has declined so much. But maybe the FoF is re-telling old and outdated tales?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware