Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 10:44 AM

12 posts, read 26,131 times

Advertisements

I am looking to buy a house near Laurel, DE. Anybody know anything about the smell of the chickens over there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 11:16 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,081,880 times
If you are concerned about chicken farms being nearby, check out the house on Google earth. Chicken barns are very easy to pick out from satellite images.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:03 PM

9,719 posts, read 14,256,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wllccaf View Post
I am looking to buy a house near Laurel, DE. Anybody know anything about the smell of the chickens over there?
Delaware is an agricultural state. Chickens are welcome here, and a big industry. I've lived here forever, and travel the state, most days.

No chicken smells in north Wilmington, some mushroom farm smells Northwest Wilmington
No chicken smells at Rehoboth Beach, perhaps some swamp and dead horseshoe crab smells in other bay or low-lying areas.
In New Castle County, Kent County, Sussex County......I've seen chicken houses, some areas smell worse than others, but the worse smells come from the farmers cleaning out their chicken houses and spreading manure on their farm land. I think they clean them out between batches.

If you buy a house, and there are no chicken houses around it, don't be surprised if they spring up. AC-AR Zoning allows for chicken houses. Small towns in Sussex County are surrounded by farm land. In other words, don't count on not smelling chicken houses in Laurel or anywhere. The smell travels with the breezes and wind!

Old 02-09-2015, 01:08 PM

yeah, I've doing that. just wondering how far away from them you have to be to not smell them all the time. I lived next to farms already so I don't care if I smell it once in awhile. One house I had it smelled so bad for 3 months out of the year. It was so bad that I couldn't even stand going from my house to the car.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:10 PM

RDLR....Thank you for the wealth of information. I really appreciate it!!!!

Old 02-09-2015, 02:17 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,910,344 times
I live right in the town of Ocean View and there is a small chicken house set-up a little over a mile away in Millville. I was leery of it at first because (like you) I don't want to smell that AND it's harmful to breathe that crap in all the time, but I never smell it....ever. I guess it's far enough away. My next door neighbor's obsession with the constant spraying of yard chemicals and his outdoors-only chain smoking is more of an annoyance and health hazard than this chicken farm in Millville ever could be.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:54 PM

LOL!!! Thank you, that makes me feel a lot better. We are moving from Pennsylvania and don't know the area that well. Your comments help me out a lot.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:57 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,213,520 times
A few years ago we had a property out in the country. The only time I noticed a smell from the chicken houses was when a flock had been picked up and they were cleaning it for a new flock. In the spring when they are spreading manure as fertilizer some fields can get ripe.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:58 AM

386 posts, read 655,393 times
If you dont want to smell a farm move to the city...so tired of of people wanting to "move to the country" and then complain about the typical smells and features of rural life. Living in a rural area youre going to smell manure in the spring, chickens are going to smell too and you also might run into a tractor on the road every once in a while. Dont want to run into those situations? Then move your happy butt back to the city!

Delaware dont let them do what they try to do here in Maryland and leave the farmers be!

Old 02-12-2015, 10:15 AM

Wow! So angry. I actually live in the country now and have all of my life. Ive lived near farms in every house I've been in. Never lived in a city and don't want to. That is why I asked the question. Here in PA we have horse farms, cattle, and pigs. I have just never lived near chickens so I'm not aware of how bad the smell can be and if its all year. I just wanted to be aware of what its like there before I uproot my whole family and buy a house that I may not be able to sell in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware