Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2012, 05:05 PM

293 posts, read 590,168 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know why the Hoa Fees at Barclay Farms has gotten so high?Ive been looking at a few homes there with a Local Real Estate office,and there giving me some high fees in the $400.00 or more.I just remember a few years ago Around the $200.00 rangeI know everything goes up,but this muchThanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 10:09 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,425,417 times
Exclamation BF still land lease community

I just read their newsletter from Jan. and it seems the owners want 13.8 million for the property. I believe there are something like 200 homes there, so that is a huge amount of money to divide that way. I loved BF, but that land lease scares me; it can go up and up and something that is affordable now may not be in 10 years. In Calif. some people had to leave mobile home parks because the land lease got so high. Then the park owners sold the land for residential development.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:06 AM

Thumbs up Visit to Barclay Farms in late March

I visited Barclay Farms the last week of March. As I posted on another thread, the clubhouse was packed with people, laughing, talking, having a potluck lunch, playing cards; it looked like a happy group. By contrast, the clubhouse at Nobles Pond did not have a soul in it. Don't know if there was a trip that day or what. I stopped in the office and inquired about the HOA fees and they are mid-$400 a month and can go up 2 - 5% a year. So, nice as the place is, and with the excellent location, that is off my list for now, as long as they are land-lease. In fact, another 55+ I stopped in at told me they have 2 new home-owners who came from Barclay Farms, mainly due to the land-lease costs. Another thing to be careful of, some places with big pools, clubhouse, etc. quote HOA fees under $100 a month and I feel that is probably a "come-on" and as more people move in, and more services needed, the fees can jump sharply. So don't base your home-buying decision too much on the HOA fees. Buy a place you like, in a location you like, with the amenities you want, and hopefully a reasonable HOA fee structure.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:29 PM

2 posts, read 11,595 times
Hello,
I'm also concerned about the high H.O.A. Fees at 55+ Communities. At first glance, I was opposed to these Communities; after touring Bon Ayre, I assumed that all Active Adult Communities in the area were the same. Although I was and still continue to be very impressed with Southern Meadow in Magnolia, DE, the properties seem to be of high quality.
Unfortunately their Leases are also in the mid-$400s!
As a 65+ Young Senior from NYC, I am hoping to Retire to the Southern Delaware area in the near future.
Are there any Tax Breaks and incentives for those of us who hope to live their Golden Years Comfortably in Southern Delaware?

Old 05-03-2014, 06:09 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
As with all things new there are many things to weigh before deciding. Land Lease or fee simple? The homes in Baywoods are lovely the grounds beautiful, amenities, location, price of home .......all great. The down side? Land Lease. But for some the cheaper price now is worth it. Some HOA's include lawn maintenance, others garbage, others the outside of your home is taken care of and you maintain the inside. HOA or no HOA? Depends upon what you want. Active community or passive community.

Another important question is what percentage of the community is seasonal/year round? That can impact the clubhouse activities.

Regardless of what you choose just do your homework. I have repeated this, but we did our homework and were rewarded when the 5 year facilities study that was completed just before we were going to contract said the physical plant was in excellent shape. This enabled our HOA fees to be reduced because we had an excellent reserve fund. If you dig until you get the answers to your questions you will be glad you did later on.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:42 AM

Smile I liked Southern Meadows, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah Hardwick View Post
Hello,
I'm also concerned about the high H.O.A. Fees at 55+ Communities. At first glance, I was opposed to these Communities; after touring Bon Ayre, I assumed that all Active Adult Communities in the area were the same. Although I was and still continue to be very impressed with Southern Meadow in Magnolia, DE, the properties seem to be of high quality.
As a 65+ Young Senior from NYC, I am hoping to Retire to the Southern Delaware area in the near future.
Are there any Tax Breaks and incentives for those of us who hope to live their Golden Years Comfortably in Southern Delaware?
I was in Southern Meadows a few weeks ago and the community looks great; has filled up quite a bit since I was last there 2 years ago. I like the walking path thru the community and the lake in back (except for the snake I saw!) and the clubhouse looks very nice. I kind of calculated and the monthly fee is in the $400 range, but you would pay about $200 anyway in other communities and the tax on a resale home was only $221/yr, per the real estate sheet I saw, so with the $90,000 price, the higher monthly fee is kind of a wash. My only problem is finding a place that will allow my cat to be outside by himself. Never thought a cat could be such a big problem.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:42 AM

46 posts, read 144,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah Hardwick View Post
Hello,
Deborah,

We are former NY/NJ/PA residents now living in DE for over 10 years. My husband and I lived in a land-lease community and couldn't stand it. The 450.00/per month fee was like paying rent in addition to our taxes and having to answer to a landlord for so many issues in the community. We rarely used the pool nor did we enjoy the very "clique-ish" get-togethers at the overcrowded clubhouse. Some residents used the clubhouse for private affairs and only invited 'select' people with whom they fraternize. We felt like we were back in third grade again.

The houses are all doublewide trailers on a closed foundation. You do not get a deed to your home because you don't own the property. It is considered a mobile home and requires a motor vehicle certificate. I don't care what anybody calls them, that's what they are, and that's how the Realtors, the insurance companies, the mortgage companies, and the tax department treat them.

You can get yourself a nice little traditional stick/site-built home where our friends live in a beautiful lakeside community like Planters Run in Dover in the $150,000 range where you own your house and land. You only pay a small annual fee of $210 for common property maintenance and insurance, etc. There are many landscapers in the community who will cut your grass a few times a month for $15-20 in the summer. The residents have annual picnics and get -togethers, so there is also a social element. There is a WAWA's adjacent to the village for your gas and convenience needs, and a Food Lion shopping center just across the road.

If you prefer a pool and clubhouse community, there is Champions Club in Magnolia, Longacre Village on the Dover-Camden line, and Spring Meadow in Smyrna. Here you own a nice site/stick built home and your land as well. You pay a monthly fee in the $160-190 range and all your lawncare is included along with all the amenities.

Delaware property taxes are extremely low and after age 65, the school tax portion is discounted further. Our taxes went from $850 per year to $500 per year after age 65.

I wish you the wisdom and foresight to make the wisest choice for the best years of your life. In advance, we welcome you to Delaware!

Old 02-24-2015, 11:15 AM

1 posts, read 8,940 times
My Dad and I are looking at 55+ community and he likes Cool Branch in Seaford. However, after reading some of these postings a major red flag has got my BP skyhigh. With these communities are you paying for a lease and it has no resale value? In other words, If you pay $125K or whatever do you kiss that money goodbye? If you pass away does the executive of your will allow for him or her to resell the home?

I would apperiate your help before my Dad gives his money away for good.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:33 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
If you pay X for the home you can sell for what ever you can get. You are renting the land, i.e Land Lease, therefore yes you are kissing that money goodbye. The other options are a 55+ community that you own the land or fee simple. Of course there is also the non HOA option.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:30 PM

9,719 posts, read 14,256,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGlennDale View Post
My Dad and I are looking at 55+ community and he likes Cool Branch in Seaford. However, after reading some of these postings a major red flag has got my BP skyhigh. With these communities are you paying for a lease and it has no resale value? In other words, If you pay $125K or whatever do you kiss that money goodbye? If you pass away does the executive of your will allow for him or her to resell the home?

I would apperiate your help before my Dad gives his money away for good.
Some communities are held in Fee Simple Interest, and some communities are held in Leasehold. Ask that question first. Barclay Farms has Leasehold Ownership, you rent the land under the doublewide manufactured home and you own the manufactured home. The $400+ Homeowners Association Fee they quote, payable each month, includes the ground rent, use of the clubhouse, walking trails, and open space. There have been 20 sales go through the local multi list service for Barclay Farms in the last year. Prices range between $64,500 and $142,500.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware