Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2019, 05:57 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,438,920 times

Advertisements

Wow, what an awesome post, Camper! It reminded me of the good ole days here when people posted often and lengthy posts.

I used to Christmas shop all year long. Remember how I posted about my gift-closet that was always chock-full of gifts? I dont do that any longer -- now I just give a little cash to the grandkids and neighbors' kids. My family (excepting the grandkids) have all discontinued gift-giving, which I understand and agree with, but I do feel a bit sad while remembering how happy I was, back then, to see someone open my gift and squeal/cry from joy. I think I also felt like that person might remember me whenever he/she used that gift, so it was a way to "live forever" in someone's memory.

One of my favorite Christmas gifts when I was a kid was lovely wood stilts that my dad made for my sister and me. He made them himself and, knowing that we girls would go looking through the house for any hidden gifts, he put them underneath our beds -- right in plain sight. I saw them when I was searching for hidden gifts but I didnt know what they were so I didnt suspect they were gifts. I loved those stilts and my sister and I enjoyed walking up and down the sidewalk with them for years. We kids were so easily entertained in those days -- or maybe I should say we entertained ourselves so easily back then. Stilts and roller skates-- the plain ole strap-to-your-shoes kind of skates -- kids today would find them boring but they gave us so many happy hours.

I'm sure Rita will enjoy the wind chimes and think of you every time she hears them. I love wind chimes. I gave some to my sister (the ones who died in May) for her birthday last year and she loved to lie in bed and listen to them. They looked exactly like a set that I have on my patio and every time I hear them singing I think of her.
Attached Thumbnails
Freebie chat part 3-wind-chimes.jpg  

Old 12-19-2019, 10:22 AM

15,144 posts, read 27,795,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Well... not a freebie related thing, quite the opposite - I was putting some paperwork in my metal lockbox thing. I also have two small ring boxes in there w/the "good" rings that I don't wear much as well as my wedding ring, engagement ring and late husbands rings. Anyway, decided I should also put the long jewelry box that I keep upstairs w/my diamond tennis bracelet (which I haven't worn for many years) - I go up to get that box out of the drawer in was in and...... box is empty!! All I can think is one of the workman I had in here a couple yrs. ago must have stolen it. I'm angry and upset naturally. Wish I had discovered the theft sooner.

Hope you all are having a better day!

Just an update - They send my info. to an independent appraiser and I already received the check (less my deductible of course) - have to say I'm impressed w/how they handled this whole thing

Old 12-19-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Just an update - They send my info. to an independent appraiser and I already received the check (less my deductible of course) - have to say I'm impressed w/how they handled this whole thing

So happy for you, Flamingo. This was the company that holds the insurance on your home, right? What company is it? I might be in the market for a new home/car insurance carrier next year.

Old 12-19-2019, 11:53 AM

Thanks TFW! It was through my homeowner, I have both home and auto w/Erie - not sure if they are in your area though.

Old 12-19-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Thanks TFW! It was through my homeowner, I have both home and auto w/Erie - not sure if they are in your area though.

Thanks, Flamingo. Sadly, Erie isnt available in Texas. But when I was googling that question, I saw that a lot of other people had asked the same question -- so maybe the apparent demand means it will be offered here in the future.

Old 12-19-2019, 02:17 PM

I hope they expand to your area! I personally think they area great and very reasonable rates.

On another note - I guess this check came just in time (I was planning to put it into savings to replenish what I've had to withdraw, mostly from trips to mom's). Had to buy mom 4 snow tires today (just recently I've gotten her two windshields, paid for her accident costs over car ins., paid for her car rental, paid her car insurance) - sigh.

Anyway - Falalala - hoping for happy holidays for all

Old 12-20-2019, 02:04 PM

12,114 posts, read 15,007,468 times
Quote:
I hope they expand to your area! I personally think they area great and very reasonable rates.

On another note - I guess this check came just in time (I was planning to put it into savings to replenish what I've had to withdraw, mostly from trips to mom's). Had to buy mom 4 snow tires today (just recently I've gotten her two windshields, paid for her accident costs over car ins., paid for her car rental, paid her car insurance) - sigh.

Anyway - Falalala - hoping for happy holidays for all
Well dang it girl... yea on the check and soory for your having to put out money for your mom's car.

Old 12-20-2019, 03:18 PM

Thanks Camper - certainly could have been worse. Fortunately mom didn't have an accident - they had a terrible sudden snow squall hit, she was sliding around a lot and couldn't get off her usual exit because of accidents but she made it home safely . Timing was fortunate that I was able to help.

Now to work on energy to make the things I want to bake for others and figure out the timing of when to make the things I am taking to the Christmas dinner - (wish me luck, never made cherry cheesecake bites but hoping they turn out okay) - thinking make them the day before since they can be refrigerated, deciding on making the pineapple/cheddar casserole the day before or that day.

Anyway - hoping you all have a wonderful holiday season. Had sun here today!! YAY - seemed like we'd had rain, gloom and high winds forever (a woman that I offered to take the cart back to the grocery store for told me to make sure I didn't blow away, hehe, I'm not very big). Looking forward to seeing the huge group that invites me for the holidays.

Old 12-20-2019, 04:10 PM

Flamingo, I;ve been reading about those snow squalls. How terrifying they must be.

Not feeling very Christmasy these days. I havent had to turn my heat on at all this season. It's hard to get excited about Christmas when the temp is in the 50s and higher. I'll be alone on Christmas and all the days around it -- but that's ok. It's a fitting way to end this year.

Old 12-20-2019, 05:23 PM

I'm sorry you will alone -Hugs to you. Wacky weather here - had to turn on the heat much sooner than I would have liked. You have us here if you want to chat!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff