Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2017, 07:46 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times

Advertisements

I get summoned EVERY single yr. that I'm eligible again - I've never served though - they've either been cancelled or I've gone and they have many more people than needed and do a "lottery".

Sounds like you want the exemption? (I personally don't want to go either as it's in the "downtown" area of where I live and you have to pay for parking, traffic, etc. - I was lucky in the times I did have to appear DH was still alive and would drop me off and pick me up)

Old 12-21-2017, 08:31 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
Yes, Flamingo, I'm going to take the exemption -- not because I dont want to serve, but because I cant bear the thought of dealing with that downtown traffic. And I keep forgetting that, since my stroke, I cant drive more than 2 miles anyway, because my right foot gets too tired to be safe if I had to brake quickly.

I just find it hard to believe that I havent received a jury summons in 38 years and then get it one year after turning 70.

Old 12-22-2017, 05:56 AM

Old 12-22-2017, 06:28 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,325,155 times
I've served on two juries in the past. It's an interesting experience. I turned 70 last August and received a summons the month before-July. LOL. It was a city summons rather than a county summons. Having never been to the city courthouse I took a dry run the day before the summons and could not get to the courthouse as there was construction all around the area and streets were blocked off due to a parade. I called in and was told not to come and to not worry about it. I didn't have to serve.

I did make a couple of friends the two times I served. One was a female private detective. Boy, did she have some stories to tell. The other worked at Mrs. Baird's Bread. She, too, had some interesting stories.
One of the two times I served was not a criminal trial. We had really comfy chairs and one of the jurors fell asleep during the trial and snored so loudly that the judge started laughing but didn't wake the guy up.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:40 PM

Ketabcha, you have such a nice, outgoing personality that you make friends everywhere. I admire that so much. I'm sure the female private detective did have some interesting stories.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:27 PM

Well, thank you, TFW, for the very nice compliment.

I do admit to finding most folks interesting. My mother thought it was because I was raised on military bases and moved quite often which required us to make friends PDQ. I don't know if that is true or not but nearly everyone is interesting, IMO. We all have tales......

Old 12-24-2017, 05:40 PM

I just wanted to wish you all a very Merry Christmas!!

I'm worn out - made two containers of buffalo chicken dip, a mexican/taco cheese ball, a cinnamon bundt cake. Washed 3 heads of cauliflower and cut it up - ready to roast that tomorrow to take (along w/the cheese ball) - the other two things are for the family get-together on Tuesday. Planning to watch It's a Wonderful Life (well, until I fall asleep

Everyone be safe and enjoy.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:04 PM

Merry Belated Christmas, Flamingo and everyone!

My younger daughter and her son drove down to spend Christmas Day. My grandson again made the dinner: ribs, mashed potatoes, mac n cheese, salad, blueberry pie, etc. He made it all at their house and brought it down -- and was it good.

And, although we agreed not to exchange gifts, he made 35 burritos for me -- all different kinds, in microwave paper so they can be taken straight from the freezer to the microwave, and all noted with the contents: steak, hamburger, bean and cheese, spicy sausage, low carb, etc.

Unfortunately, a large mole-like lesion popped up on my arm overnight on Christmas Eve day. My daughter, who's a Physician Assistant in the E.R. of several hospitals, looked at it and said it appears to be a malignant melanoma. So I made an appointment for next week with the dermatologist who removed several other lesions recently. Bummer.

I sure wish I could send a card to Bob, especially if he's still in the hospital. He's been on my mind so much.

Old 12-31-2017, 03:21 PM

Hope all is well w/the lesion!! Please keep us (me) posted!

Wishes for all to have a very Happy and Healthy (and more normal) New Year! (I will be snoozing most likely before it's 2018 - watching the Twilight Zone marathon today!! w/time out this afternoon for my Steeler game - tonight I'll watch/listen to more TZ while finishing up my book which is pretty good and getting to the point where I won't put it down until it's finished.

If I can make a New Year's wish at the moment it would be for more normal temps. - it's is BRRRRRR outside - I freeze everything off trying to keep putting out fresh water/dish for the birds and bringing in the frozen one - then repeat.... It appears that Wed. we will actually be above freezing, not by a lot but at this point, it will probably feel warm, LOL

Old 01-01-2018, 11:18 AM

We have learned the our Bob (Bobrainman) passed away on 12/10/2017.
I know many of us will really miss him. Bob was one of the good guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff