Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2017, 03:44 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,321,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
CANNOT find it online anywhere, but last week a large envelop from NRA-ILA https://www.nraila.org/
came in the mail. It was a 2018 Hunting Dog Calendar. Enclosed was a "free Calendar" and a request then to make a donation........

Seriously.

Look at my screen name. Do you think I want pictures of Dogs in my house?
And I do not like hunting.

BUT I had to laugh. I am giving it to my redneck brother for Christmas.
Nice item, well done, but not my thing. Still a nice change from the usual address labels that usually come free in the mail with a request for a donation.

ROFL. I can identify. I really can. I get all kinds of solicitations but never one from NRAILA. I receive little memo pads or address labels. I hardly ever send anything through snail mail except for occasional cards. In fact, I purged most of my collection (horde) of address labels just last week when I opened the top of the credenza and a landslide of labels poured out on my head.

Old 11-21-2017, 11:23 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,426,125 times
I've been trying out a new (to me) browser and there's so much for an old gal like me to learn. So I dont know if this will work. Here goes:

Old 11-22-2017, 03:28 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Curious what browser you are using. I've been bad about posting on here, too much (and yet not enough) going on, LOL.

Anyway - that's a lovely thought, wishing you (and everyone here) a wonderful Thanksgiving as well. I'll be going to the "usual" family that adopted us (although it's just me now) - diff. house though - one of the children offered to host at their house. Making: deviled eggs: eggs are boiled, now I have to peel and do the filling. Still have to bake two dozen brownies.

Bottom line: Happy Thanksgiving all!

Old 11-22-2017, 04:19 PM

Flamingo, when I first started using a desktop computer, back in 1996, I used Opera as my browser. I dont remember why I switched to Firefox in 2002 -- but I've loved Firefox ever since. I especially loved the All-in-One-Sidebar for my bookmarks. I have hundreds, maybe thousands, of bookmarks, all neatly organized into folders.

I havent been fond of Firefox's updates and, when I read about the latest one, I was almost sick. I read that it was doing away with many add-ons, including the All-in-One-Sidebar, Autofill (for filling in forms), Adobe Flash (for playing games) and others that I use daily. So I resisted upgrading as long as possible and set out to try other browers.

For a while I used Google Chrome, but it was just too bulky for me. Then I tried Opera again and really liked it. However, as I worked more and more with it, I became less enchanted with its lack of features. However, I like it enough to keep it as my alternate browser.

I went back to Firefox and did the dreaded upgrade. To my surprise, the new Firefox 57 has a Sidebar almost exactly like my beloved All-in-One-SIdebar. But it doesnt have anything like Autofill and, even worse, it doesnt allow me to play games. It did away with a lot of add-ons to increase its speed.

Luckily, I can play one game on Opera. I cant play Mahjong Safari, though, on any of the three browsers I've tried -- for some reason, Adobe Flash wont play on any of them.

I dont play the games just for enjoyment -- I do so for my continuing physical/occupational therapy. I'm going to keep trying to find a browser that works well with Flash. I'd appreciate it if you and anyone else would let me know what browser you use, what you like about it and if you can play simple games on it. (All I ever play is Word Whomp and Mahjong Safari.) I'm going to keep Firefox as my primary browser but would be willing to change my alternate browser from Opera to something else if I can play my games.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:16 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
I've been using Firefox for many yrs. - used Opera briefly - I have no idea what you are talking about w/sidebar, etc. - the latest FF update has slowed down my computer though (I do know they won't do Adobe Flash - from what I've read, it's pretty dangerous hack-wise, etc.) - I lost my I.E. Lite which I liked and the adblocker I had - I don't like that so much but.....

I would suggest looking into the safety of Adobe Flash, from what I can recall all the computer gurus say not to use it.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:24 PM

Do you have Firefox 57? It was released just last week or so. It's definitely faster than any previous version. If you want to check on what version you have, just click on the three little horizontal black bars at the upper right side of your screen (you can see them in the screenshot below) -- then click on Help (it may be a question mark in some versions) -- then click on About Firefox. It will show you what version you're currently using. The latest version is called Firefox 57 Quantum.

I realize that computer experts warn against Flash but so many games need it. And I'm not talking about the war-type games that so many "gamers" play -- I mean simple word games and memory games, etc. I always had my Flash set on "ask before allowing" so the only time I had Flash open was when I was playing my games ... about an hour a day.

The Sidebar is a great way to have all your bookmarks available and in view. You can hide it if you want and bring it up when you need it. Here's a screenshot of part of my computer monitor with the Sidebar (on the left side of the screen), showing some of my folders. (As you can see, I was typing this post when I took the screenshot.) You can click on the image to make it larger. I had clicked on the Games folder so you can see what's inside it. If I were to click on any of the links in the Games folder, it would take me straight to that website:
Attached Thumbnails
Freebie chat part 3-screenshot-resized-23-.png  

Last edited by TFW46; 11-22-2017 at 08:40 PM..

Old 11-27-2017, 11:17 PM

I celebrated Thanksgiving twice this year.

My younger daughter and her 25-year-old son came over on Thursday with a meal that my grandson had cooked all by himself: turkey, ham, green beans, sweet potatoes with sugar crust, pecan pie and more. He's been thinking about becoming a chef and everything was delicious. We had a great time just visiting and eating.

And then my older daughter came over on Sunday with her vegetarian meal: homemade soup, lasagna and cooked plums stuffed with blue cheese and walnuts -- brownies and mimosas too. OMG, it was all so good! I'm not vegetarian but I could learn to enjoy it if that's the kind of food they eat.

Each daughter brought a dog to entertain Lulu.

The first photo below is my grandson and Lulu, along with one of his dogs. The second photo is my older daughter with her sweet dog. That dog is afraid of nothing. He jumped up on my patio rocking chair and sat there while it rocked.

This will be the last holiday -- or any day, for that matter -- that I can spend with my older daughter. She's moving to a peninsula west of Seattle in January. She's wanted to do this for over 20 years and, now that her kids are all in college, she's living her dream. I'm excited for her and admire her courage, but I'll miss her so much.
Attached Thumbnails
Freebie chat part 3-tyler-pony-lulu-11-2017.jpg   Freebie chat part 3-susan-monty-11-2017-3-cute.jpg   Freebie chat part 3-monty-sitting-rocking-chair-11-2017  

Old 12-08-2017, 02:01 PM

So many years ago, when GloryB was here, we'd all announce when someone had gotten a new C-D star. I know there's another place to do it but having it mentioned in this Deals Chat always meant so much to me. We kinda got away from it and I'm as guilty as anyone of not noticing when someone gets a new star.

But I just noticed that I now have a red thingie above my star. Neato! I dont know what that means but it's still cool-looking. Of course, Ketabcha is the Star Queen -- she has 3 red thingies and 4 green ones above her stars and also has additional dark greenies.

I'm going to try to be better about noticing any new stars or new-colored thingies above the stars. And one day I'll look up what it all means.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:14 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,321,246 times
Ah, yes. We had some really good times with Glory B. I still miss her a lot.
The "star parties" were fun.

TFW, I believe that each red star represents ten green stars. I once knew this but I'm not so sure that I am right. I think I am, though.

Congratulations on your red star. It's just in time for Christmas. Maybe we should call them "Rudolphs."

Old 12-13-2017, 12:29 PM

Ketabcha, I'm not asking you to reveal any private information but I wonder if you can let us know if Bob is still in the hosital. He's been on my mind and in my prayers so much. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff