Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2015, 10:02 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,074,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BstYet2Be View Post
Glad to hear you made it home safely!

Believe that your office called it right, too, by not letting all of you go early... that seems to be what caused most of the major traffic problems mid-day, with everyone leaving early at the very same time!

That, plus the schools closing right in the midst of the worst of it... and all of those parents having to leave work to pick up their kiddos, bad call all the way around on that. They definitely need to decide beforehand to have school all day or not at all. That's the second time this has happened where it puts them all in danger at the worst part of a storm... believe the time before was when GISD let out the kiddos during the tornado activity a couple of years ago, where one of the regular posters here in the Dallas Forum couldn't reach his wife because she had to leave work and go pick up their kiddos from school, stressful time for them all!

Anyway, again, good to hear you made it home safely, synchronicity... same goes for all of the rest of you!

Well, kenshi, sure hope you took some great pictures while you were out and that you'll be sharing them with us.
I'm just now leaving work and it's too dark for pictures really. Here's the one I took of my car.
Attached Thumbnails
It's HOT! It's COLD! It's WINDY! It's DRY! It's WET! It's OUR Weather!-img_20150227_130608.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 10:16 PM

290 posts, read 391,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
I'm just now leaving work and it's too dark for pictures really. Here's the one I took of my car.
be careful.. doesn't look like your car is very winter weather friendly!

Old 02-27-2015, 10:27 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,608,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
It's deadly quiet outside. That's unusual since I live close enough to 75 to hear a constant quiet roar from the highway. It's surreal.

I'll be glad when this stuff melts. I was not able to do what I'd planned to do tonight so I'm farting around on the internet on the Sabbath instead. Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad me.
I'm telling! I also live near 75 and it is really quiet. That's what I love about these nights. I just stepped outside and the sleet is coming down pretty well, other than that it's so quiet and still.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:46 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,675,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BstYet2Be View Post
Glad to hear you made it home safely!

Believe that your office called it right, too, by not letting all of you go early... that seems to be what caused most of the major traffic problems mid-day, with everyone leaving early at the very same time!

That, plus the schools closing right in the midst of the worst of it... and all of those parents having to leave work to pick up their kiddos, bad call all the way around on that. They definitely need to decide beforehand to have school all day or not at all. That's the second time this has happened where it puts them all in danger at the worst part of a storm... believe the time before was when GISD let out the kiddos during the tornado activity a couple of years ago, where one of the regular posters here in the Dallas Forum couldn't reach his wife because she had to leave work and go pick up their kiddos from school, stressful time for them all!

Anyway, again, good to hear you made it home safely, synchronicity... same goes for all of the rest of you!
Thanks. Yeah, kidlet was let out shortly after noon as well. Sadly, my wife has to head out to work in under 3 hours, so I'm kinda nervous about that, given the cold and sleet and possibly ice. Ugh.

Kidlet enjoyed sledding on a nearby "hill" (hey, it works well enough), but I'm gonna sit tight tomorrow until the rain falls and washes much of this away.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara0914 View Post
It doesn't look like it, but after letting some air out of the tires and programming it so that the throttle isn't so touchy, it's pretty manageable.

Since it was requested, here's an awful quality picture of my dogs at the lake around midnight.
Attached Thumbnails
It's HOT! It's COLD! It's WINDY! It's DRY! It's WET! It's OUR Weather!-img_20150228_000451.jpg  

Old 02-28-2015, 02:01 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,695,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
It's deadly quiet outside. That's unusual since I live close enough to 75 to hear a constant quiet roar from the highway. It's surreal.

I'll be glad when this stuff melts. I was not able to do what I'd planned to do tonight so I'm farting around on the internet on the Sabbath instead. Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad me.
It might be quiet outside, but it was hopping in the ER tonight. In chicago, if it snows, the ER basically comes to a halt since no one comes in. Here in DFW, when it snows, people come in. Very weird.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:04 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,695,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara0914 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
Is that a porsche? Some porsches are AWD... if it is and it's got snow tires or all seasons, that thing is better off than most of what's out on the road. Low center of gravity, good control, advanced suspension... might be better than what we got. Although if that's RWD and with summer tires, you're screwed Kenshi.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post
Is that a porsche? Some porsches are AWD... if it is and it's got snow tires or all seasons, that thing is better off than most of what's out on the road. Low center of gravity, good control, advanced suspension... might be better than what we got. Although if that's RWD and with summer tires, you're screwed Kenshi.
Ha ha. No, it's not a Porsche. It's a Mazda RX-8 R3. It actually has better handling than most Porsches (on dry pavement anyway), but it is RWD with summer tires, so I guess I'm screwed. However, I did drive it about 30 miles today on icy roads with no drama whatsoever. AWD may help you go on the ice, but it won't help you stop.

Old 02-28-2015, 04:45 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,204,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post
It might be quiet outside, but it was hopping in the ER tonight. In chicago, if it snows, the ER basically comes to a halt since no one comes in. Here in DFW, when it snows, people come in. Very weird.
In Dallas, you got a few drivers that have been on snow. They will ram a car so hard on unsalted highways, it will result in a tailspin and 20-car pileup. Everybody ending up in ER, once they get rescued.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:37 AM

954 posts, read 1,560,095 times
More and more nasty winter weather in North Texas. OK folks this is why it's such a bad idea to have Super Bowls in Arlington. After this winter I doubt there will be even talk of that happening anymore in Arlington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas