Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 01:47 PM

13 posts, read 84,322 times

Advertisements

My family and I are considering relocating to Texas in the next year or so if my company continues layoffs and my job is cut. We are considering Dallas and Austin because there seem to be a lot of software development jobs there - according to Indeed.com. I have done some research myself already about both areas but I wanted to get some input from locals about why they think one city is a better place to live than the other.

Now I know the definition of "better" depends on who you are. Some people might say Austin is better because it is a bit warmer. Some might say Dallas is better because it is a little cooler - just a hypothetical example.

So just tell my why YOU think one is better than the other. Give me all the dirt you can. Be honest and don't hold back anything.

Thanks very much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 06:55 PM

264 posts, read 1,184,625 times
Austin and Dallas are very different. I like both. Austin is more outdoorsy and laid back. Dallas is more "big city," a little more materialistic. If I had my choice of where to move when we moved from Houston, I would have moved back to Austin. However, I'm very happy here in Dallas. I have so many wonderful friends here, and my kids go to fantastic schools. I find happiness has less to do with where you live and more to do with the people you associate with. Both cities have great people.
Look for jobs in both cities and go where the job is. If you get offers in both cities, visit both, then make your decision.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:48 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Dallas is better because you have outdoorsyness, culture, sports galore, professional people, theme parks galore, great retail and eating, and a moderate political climate. Dallas has White Rock Lake , Cedar Hill State Park, and Zoos. Denton has the big music and art scene because of the popular music university that is located there.

The only thing outdoorsy in Austin are the abundance of cyclists, cycling trails, and a few lush hills. Other than that it has absolutely nothing. More people come across as really unprofessional or poorly trained there too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbun View Post
Austin and Dallas are very different. I like both. Austin is more outdoorsy and laid back. Dallas is more "big city," a little more materialistic. If I had my choice of where to move when we moved from Houston, I would have moved back to Austin. However, I'm very happy here in Dallas. I have so many wonderful friends here, and my kids go to fantastic schools. I find happiness has less to do with where you live and more to do with the people you associate with. Both cities have great people.
Look for jobs in both cities and go where the job is. If you get offers in both cities, visit both, then make your decision.

Last edited by artsyguy; 03-15-2009 at 09:05 PM..

Old 03-16-2009, 08:27 AM

264 posts, read 1,184,625 times
Hmmm....Lake Austin, Lake Travis, Town Lake, Zilker Park, Barton Springs, Austin City Limits Music Fest, HUNDREDS of hiking trails, etc, etc, etc. Austin is a mecca of outdoor activity. Don't get me wrong, I love Dallas, but when it comes to outdoor activity and overall beauty, Austin wins, hands down.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:56 AM

Dallas has music festivals with big name and local bands. It isn't unique to Austin.

Last time I heard you couldn't even swim at Barton Springs.

But like I said the lush hills in Austin are beautiful, however, that doesn't mean somebody should live there unless their job is there and they are getting a home in the hill country areas, which is understandable.

Quote:
Hmmm....Lake Austin, Lake Travis, Town Lake, Zilker Park, Barton Springs, Austin City Limits Music Fest, HUNDREDS of hiking trails, etc, etc, etc. Austin is a mecca of outdoor activity. Don't get me wrong, I love Dallas, but when it comes to outdoor activity and overall beauty, Austin wins, hands down.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:58 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
Go wherever you can get a job. I have lived in both and didn't really notice a weather difference. Austin, to me, is more interesting and has more character. Dallas is bigger and has more big city things, like direct flights out to most places. Both have bad traffic and good suburban schools. If I absolutely had to choose, I would probably go with Austin.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:25 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,110,686 times
Quote:
What this poster said.

From a job perspective, the D/FW area is far larger than the Austin area, so statistically speaking, there should be more job opportunities there. There's a pretty good tech presence, too.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:38 PM

13 posts, read 84,322 times
Smile Cool. Thanks to all for the replies

I really appreciate all the input and perspectives from everybody. We visited Dallas for few days last year and hope to make a trip to Austin in a few months. Being a California native for 43 years and now residing in Florida which has no topographical diversity, I have to admit that being able to see hills again is a big deal, not sure why that is, but for those of you in the same boat, you'll know what I mean. I'm hearing mostly a lot of good stuff about both places so it won't be an easy decision. I think once we actually set foot in Austin though it will become clear.

One poster asked what was wrong with Florida and to that I would answer "it is nothing like the home I left in California" ....... but seriously it's OK, but the tech job opportunities in the Orlando area are extremely small for a greater metro area of more than 1.5 million. The city in CA where I came from of 45,000 almost had more tech jobs.

Thanks again to all and keep it comin' if you have more thoughts

Old 03-16-2009, 08:35 PM

168 posts, read 573,653 times
I have lived in both, I would say this...

If I won the lottery tomorrow, I would move to Austin...if I didnt need to worry about earning a good living, I would rather be there... Central Texas is God's country in my book...

Having said that, I find Austin pretty impractical from a professional/living standpoint...the airport is not nearly as convenient as DFW, there are less corporate headquarters, traffic is worse, etc. Dallas is a far "easier" place to earn and live...not to mention that Austin housing is more expensive...

Old 03-16-2009, 09:11 PM

How can you stand the unfriendly self absorbed Type A personalities in Austin? They are horrible there.

I'm guessing you live in a scary part of Dallas. South side? North East?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrichel View Post
I have lived in both, I would say this...

If I won the lottery tomorrow, I would move to Austin...if I didnt need to worry about earning a good living, I would rather be there... Central Texas is God's country in my book...

Having said that, I find Austin pretty impractical from a professional/living standpoint...the airport is not nearly as convenient as DFW, there are less corporate headquarters, traffic is worse, etc. Dallas is a far "easier" place to earn and live...not to mention that Austin housing is more expensive...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas