Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 09:21 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,102,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
How can you stand the unfriendly self absorbed Type A personalities in Austin? They are horrible there.

I'm guessing you live in a scary part of Dallas. South side? North East?

You don't really read what you're typing do you?

And you can swim year round at Barton Creek, if you can take the 68* water. The only times you can't is after a sever storm and there is a algea or bacteria out-break since Barton Creek is that...a natural spring-fed creek/pool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 09:30 PM

87 posts, read 235,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbun View Post
Austin and Dallas are very different. I like both. Austin is more outdoorsy and laid back. Dallas is more "big city," a little more materialistic. If I had my choice of where to move when we moved from Houston, I would have moved back to Austin. However, I'm very happy here in Dallas. I have so many wonderful friends here, and my kids go to fantastic schools. I find happiness has less to do with where you live and more to do with the people you associate with. Both cities have great people.
Look for jobs in both cities and go where the job is. If you get offers in both cities, visit both, then make your decision.
I would have stayed in Austin, had it not been for the disgusting hard to get rid of German cockroaches IN the house where I was housesitting.. how do you tell someone to exterminate? They said get used to it or you can't live in Texas . Ah, no, I don't care how many bugs are outside, but inside? in bed or kitchen crawling where you eat? No thanks.

See previous posts here under titles like 'biggest #$% roaches on the planet' for all the other people who say yes, roaches are in the house in Dallas and Austin and just about everywhere in that part of the country.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:23 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,977,964 times
Yep, swim at your own risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
You don't really read what you're typing do you?

And you can swim year round at Barton Creek, if you can take the 68* water. The only times you can't is after a sever storm and there is a algea or bacteria out-break since Barton Creek is that...a natural spring-fed creek/pool.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:26 PM

I seriously doubt massive roaches were your only problem in Austin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss x3 View Post
I would have stayed in Austin, had it not been for the disgusting hard to get rid of German cockroaches IN the house where I was housesitting.. how do you tell someone to exterminate? They said get used to it or you can't live in Texas . Ah, no, I don't care how many bugs are outside, but inside? in bed or kitchen crawling where you eat? No thanks.

See previous posts here under titles like 'biggest #$% roaches on the planet' for all the other people who say yes, roaches are in the house in Dallas and Austin and just about everywhere in that part of the country.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:35 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,537,664 times
Being from Southern Cali myself, I dearly miss the mountians. Having that said I love Texas more. That the mountains are the ONLY thing I miss. Not I moved to the Dallas area in 2005, never lived in Austin so I can't speak for that city. Been through it, that's about it.
I am sure either place is great. Dallas has a good tech market. Good luck to you. Never been to Flordia but I heard things are really south down there.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:48 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,188,484 times
I know that the roaches can fly in Houston, which adds a whole new dimension of fright for those who are scared of bugs. I don't know if the ones in Austin can fly, but the ones in Dallas generally do not.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:48 PM

The roaches in Dallas are far cooler than the weird ones in austin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I know that the roaches can fly in Houston, which adds a whole new dimension of fright for those who are scared of bugs. I don't know if the ones in Austin can fly, but the ones in Dallas generally do not.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:56 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,025,361 times
Yes, the roachs in Dallas fly. I was attacked in my garage one time when I turned the light on. - it was an old house from around 1910 with a mud slab inside the garage. I was on LSD at the time, which made it that much worse. They don't "fly" per se, but they can get around like flying squirrels or sugar gliders, but can't be kept as pets unless you're Japanese.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:05 PM

288 posts, read 1,192,119 times
I had roaches fly several feet off the ground in my Dallas area apts. They had horns on each side of their hindquarters. Not including its antennae the biggest one was over 2 1/2 inches long. They're so fat, Animal Control is involved.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:22 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,175,634 times
You guys forget, the OP is from Florida so they already know about roaches -- flying, walking, or otherwise ambulatory -- that can bodyslam you like Jason Statham on Red Bull. So our critters probably are not going to bother them, though didn't Austin have a cricket invasion last year that sounded particularly nasty?

As for Dallas vs. Austin, I prefer the bigger city and more opportunities of the former. But Austin certainly has its charms, the surrounding Hill Country being a big part of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas