Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2021, 11:55 PM

630 posts, read 659,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Pretty good summary.

A middle-market in-line tenant has to get big volume to justify paying elevated rents. In malls where that volume depended on middle-market department stores to generate traffic, the value proposition generally isn't there anymore unless the mall has another way to generate the traffic.
I guess Willow Bend losing the Apple store was a huge blow to the traffic. That store was always so busy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2021, 11:19 AM

2,916 posts, read 3,004,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Galleria Dallas lost it's place as a "high end" center when Saks 5th Avenue closed. The Macy's there is a joke, and Nordstrom is no longer a "high end" magnet like it used to be. Galleria seems to be letting anything and everything move in just to fill space. Belk has been closed over a year, and NOTHING has been done with that spot. The clientele at the Galleria is growing more and more "ghetto" everyday, but I guess after Valley View closed, it was bound to happen. I don't think Galleria will ever face the fate of Prestonwood, Valley View or Collin Creek, but they definitely need to improve the quality of stores that go in there.
By ghetto.......do you mean more folks from the far northern and eastern burbs with lifted pickup trucks and gun racks??

Old 10-05-2021, 09:58 PM

380 posts, read 369,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
They are planning on tearing down Belk in the redevelopment of that part of the mall. IMO Belk left because there was a horrible plumbing problem going on inside (or under) that store, and it's smelled really bad for the last 6 months it was still open. I could barely stand to walk through - I felt sorry for anyone working in there.
I'm curious to hear more about the Galleria's redevelopment. What's going on?

An acquaintance who works adjacent to the Galleria told me that the mall management decided not to renew Belk's lease because they planned to replace it with a movie theater, but then COVID hit. Any truth to this?

I've recently spent some time at the Galleria and I've been mildly shocked at the lines to get into LV and Gucci and the clientele. I know you're not supposed to judge a book by its cover, but these shoppers don't look like your stereotypical luxury shoppers. At least not the blonde trophy wives I always pictured. And they're there in daytime hours, so I can only assume they're not working a corporate 9-5 and they certainly don't dress like they are. And they're so young! It's very odd.

Old 10-06-2021, 01:14 AM

630 posts, read 659,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggielina View Post
I've recently spent some time at the Galleria and I've been mildly shocked at the lines to get into LV and Gucci and the clientele. I know you're not supposed to judge a book by its cover, but these shoppers don't look like your stereotypical luxury shoppers. At least not the blonde trophy wives I always pictured. And they're there in daytime hours, so I can only assume they're not working a corporate 9-5 and they certainly don't dress like they are. And they're so young! It's very odd.
why are you surprised? that stuff is heavily marketed to young people all over social media.

Old 10-08-2021, 09:53 PM

516 posts, read 452,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP48G View Post
why are you surprised? that stuff is heavily marketed to young people all over social media.
Yep, I know a couple of people that have spent their whole paycheck(s) on an LV purse. LV and Gucci are status symbols, and people will pay the money to wear them. Even if that means they can't eat for a month. But, hey, at least everyone else will think they are rolling in the money!

Old 10-09-2021, 09:39 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,094,411 times
After working in some "fine" dining restaurants with no dress code (so fine dining in price points only), I have really realized not to judge a book by its cover. I've come to realize a good segment of very wealthy people just do not care how they dressed out in public. They do not care what most people think and will go out in whatever makes them comfortable.

Old 10-10-2021, 08:38 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,221,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonhun View Post
After working in some "fine" dining restaurants with no dress code (so fine dining in price points only), I have really realized not to judge a book by its cover. I've come to realize a good segment of very wealthy people just do not care how they dressed out in public. They do not care what most people think and will go out in whatever makes them comfortable.
Sounds like my husband. Even though he owns multiple companies, he insists on wearing sandals, ratty cargo shorts, and t-shirts to work. His attitude is that since he owns the company he can wear whatever he wants. He likes to stand out front and take his constant barrage of business calls. Their receptionist has a friend who works at a business that's across the parking lot. One day he asked her why they allow a homeless person to hang out outside their building. He was shocked when she told him that the "homeless man" is the owner.

I do make him dress nicer than that when we go somewhere nice.

Old 11-09-2021, 12:48 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,634,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
By ghetto.......do you mean more folks from the far northern and eastern burbs with lifted pickup trucks and gun racks??
No.... More like the Town East or Red Bird clientele.

Old 11-10-2021, 07:42 AM

1,038 posts, read 879,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonhun View Post
That's a new money thing.

Old money knows well enough to dress appropriately when in public.

Old 11-10-2021, 07:01 PM

537 posts, read 451,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
Sounds like my husband. Even though he owns multiple companies, he insists on wearing sandals, ratty cargo shorts, and t-shirts to work. His attitude is that since he owns the company he can wear whatever he wants. He likes to stand out front and take his constant barrage of business calls. Their receptionist has a friend who works at a business that's across the parking lot. One day he asked her why they allow a homeless person to hang out outside their building. He was shocked when she told him that the "homeless man" is the owner.

I do make him dress nicer than that when we go somewhere nice.
Good for your husband! Sounds like has earned the right to dress the way he wants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas