Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2021, 11:51 AM

83 posts, read 52,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Brian has a new business now. https://theconservatorynyc.com/

He’s not corporate - he would not fit at Neiman, nor would he want to.
Brian Bolke has amazing insight. He once said that New York City and Dallas were the major exporters of American culture back during the eighties. New York City exported culture because, well, it was New York City. Dallas exported culture because southern women were bold and wore white. Women elsewhere didn't wear white because urban cities were filthy making its upkeep too difficult.

One can see why Forty-Five-Ten was so successful.

Dallas had actual garment factories up until the late eighties and early nineties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2021, 12:27 PM

19,904 posts, read 18,186,485 times
I'm not much of a shopper. Excepting the occasional lunch at Ocaeanaire - which is still pretty great - I can't recall the last time I set foot in The Galleria and it's maybe 2 miles from me.

I'm wondering though if the ongoing wave of net new professional jobs in and around The Galleria complex might drive some improvement going forward?

Old 09-22-2021, 12:33 PM

19,904 posts, read 18,186,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump Supporter View Post
Brian Bolke has amazing insight. He once said that New York City and Dallas were the major exporters of American culture back during the eighties. New York City exported culture because, well, it was New York City. Dallas exported culture because southern women were bold and wore white. Women elsewhere didn't wear white because urban cities were filthy making its upkeep too difficult.

One can see why Forty-Five-Ten was so successful.

Dallas had actual garment factories up until the late eighties and early nineties.
A guy we know a little who founded/runs a very successful and surprisingly large furniture manufacturing business in DFW is considering opening an apparel manufacturing facility as well. I don't want to be more specific but the tie in makes more sense than is likely obvious.

Old 09-22-2021, 03:17 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,096,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Do you work for Galleria Dallas? I’m beginning to think so.

Look, the tenant mix at Galleria has been steadily declining for 15+ years. Basically since NorthPark expanded, Stonebriar opened & HPV went luxury on steroids. Galleria lost every single luxury tenant except the 3 that thrive on tourism. Again, it’s not a bad mall. It’s financially stable and pretty high occupancy rates. It’s long been the #2 sales volume mall behind NorthPark. But it’s basic, not special. You can’t deny that.
You literally just called it stagnant. Seems a bit contradictory to it being a good mall.

Old 09-22-2021, 03:46 PM

5,268 posts, read 6,423,901 times
Quote:
You literally just called it stagnant. Seems a bit contradictory to it being a good mall.

I think stagnant is correct considering how much of it they are planning to demolish, but it's not as stagnant as The Parks Mall (still looks like the '80s), Music City Mall and others that are waiting for the wrecking ball to destroy the whole thing.

Old 09-22-2021, 05:04 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,341,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonhun View Post
Financially, it’s a Class A mall. They’re doing very well on a dollars per square foot basis. Occupancy is pretty strong.

But the merch mix is stagnant to declining. It’s all basic mall brands. Other than American Girl Store - which was a HUGE “get” for the Galleria- there are no specialty retailers. Very little luxury. No point of view or differentiation except I guess the ice skating rink?

No one’s talking about Galleria because there’s nothing exciting going on there. The last BIG excitement was when Nordstrom opened in the late 1990’s. It was the first one in the Dallas market. Compare that to NorthPark (Eataly, significant art collection, constantly editing and upgrading the merch mix), Highland Park Village (THE premier luxury destination in the Southwest that just keeps topping itself with exclusive new tenants), Knox Street (yes a construction nighttmare at the moment but RH Flagship is just the beginning of exciting new tenants), and even Legacy West (Neighborhood Goods is a gem, just landed 4 luxury brand boutiques and stole LV away from NM Willowbend). All of those destinations have major tailwinds.

Old 09-22-2021, 05:12 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,448,318 times
Wondering, why aren't there any luxury retail options in Southlake? Seems like a pretty high-end area.

Old 09-22-2021, 05:34 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,561,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
At least the staff came over to help you. I remember many years ago, I wandered around the Nordstroms for the first time out of curiosity as I had never been in one before. The staff girl there gave me the quick eye up down, decided I wasnt a customer and proceeded to act as if I didnt exist. I could have been on fire and I doubt she would have moved a muscle. I got the hint and moved on. Too rich for my blood.

Well, they are not really interesting in "helping" per se.

Maybe only like say -- Helping us find the door to get the hell out of their store.

Old 09-23-2021, 10:41 AM

402 posts, read 371,769 times
As a newbie to the area, Northpark checked all the boxes for me.

Old 09-23-2021, 11:56 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,468,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest2020 View Post
As a newbie to the area, Northpark checked all the boxes for me.
Yep.....Even if you are just walking around before your movie starts at AMC its a great vibe and ambiance... Its the best mall in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas