Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2021, 08:21 AM

83 posts, read 52,211 times

Advertisements

As the population of North Texas is expected to grow by another million and a half people or so during the next decade, rather than shut it down, would Neiman Marcus be smart to relocate the department store now anchoring the struggling Shops at Willow Bend to that of the Galleria Dallas? The Galleria Dallas is the last remaining mall in an area that once had four located in close proximity to each other. The scale of the popular mall - it gets 19 million visitors a year - should continue shooting upwards. Also factor in the Midway Dallas development just now getting under way. The Galleria still has some luxury stores based in it and a Nordstrom department store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2021, 10:09 AM

(Hines invested $400,000,000 in what would become known as The Dallas Galleria when it was completed in 1982. To give you an idea, that was the same amount that Caroline Rose Hunt invested in her Uptown Crescent masterpiece in 1986. I have always taken for granted what is today called the Galleria Dallas. Hines expected big things from it however. It is conveniently located to three airports these being DFW, Love Field, and the Addison general airports.)

Old 09-21-2021, 10:27 AM

3,834 posts, read 4,437,964 times
I would bet money on Stonebriar to become number 2 eventually. That West Plano/Frisco/Prosper corridor should keep growing and booming with affluent residents flooding in. Stonebriar is a big part of the reason Willow Bend is struggling now.

Old 09-21-2021, 10:36 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
I would bet money on Stonebriar to become number 2 eventually. That West Plano/Frisco/Prosper corridor should keep growing and booming with affluent residents flooding in. Stonebriar is a big part of the reason Willow Bend is struggling now.
Willow Bend opened as a luxury destination mall a few years before the 2008 financial crisis. Pretty much killed it’s potential.

Stonebriar has zero luxury (even MICHAEL Kors couldn’t hack it there and left as soon as their original lease ended) and is no way a competitor to NorthPark / what Willow Bend wanted to be. Legacy West is emerging as a luxury destination as LV pulled out of Neiman’s WB, plus Chanel Beaute, Gucci & Tiffany all opened there.

Galleria is kind a step between NorthPark and Stonebriar. It makes no sense for Neiman to relocate there as the luxury clientelle is going to NorthPark or Highland Park Village. That’s why Neiman left Prestonwood to move to Willow Bend in the first place. Then there is an emerging luxury market on the Plano / Frisco border.

Galleria is what it is.

Old 09-21-2021, 11:07 AM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Whats interesting to me is that the Galleria in Houston and the one in Dallas serve different purposes. The Galleria in Houston is more like NorthPark since thats where our luxury brands tend to congregate. The Galleria in Dallas tends to have a more middle class vibe to it.

Id imagine location drives some of that. The Galleria in Houston is sandwiched between River Oaks, Afton Oaks, Tanglewood, and Bellaire. In Dallas, NorthPark is adjacent to Highland Park and University Park.

Old 09-21-2021, 11:20 AM

3,834 posts, read 4,437,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Willow Bend opened as a luxury destination mall a few years before the 2008 financial crisis. Pretty much killed it’s potential.

Stonebriar has zero luxury (even MICHAEL Kors couldn’t hack it there and left as soon as their original lease ended) and is no way a competitor to NorthPark / what Willow Bend wanted to be. Legacy West is emerging as a luxury destination as LV pulled out of Neiman’s WB, plus Chanel Beaute, Gucci & Tiffany all opened there.

Galleria is kind a step between NorthPark and Stonebriar. It makes no sense for Neiman to relocate there as the luxury clientelle is going to NorthPark or Highland Park Village. That’s why Neiman left Prestonwood to move to Willow Bend in the first place. Then there is an emerging luxury market on the Plano / Frisco border.

Galleria is what it is.
Well, SOMEONE is going to target that Frisco/Plano section as the wealth keeps going up over that way. It makes sense that the luxury market would grow as well. I forgot about Legacy West. But yeah, either a mall or perhaps something else will emerge to service that part of the region that doesnt want to have to drive all the way down to Northpark. Michael Kors may not have worked out years ago when they first came up there, but Frisco has grown massively since then. I suspect the market has as well.

I frankly dont get the logic of the Galleria as a high end mall. If I'm a high brow shopper from Frisco. I've already driven over half an hour to get to Dallas. What's an extra 10 minutes more to get to Northpark which would have the bigger/wider/better selections?

Old 09-21-2021, 11:30 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,399,224 times
Quote:
What's an extra 10 minutes more to get to Northpark which would have the bigger/wider/better selections?

Agree with this. Northpark and The Galleria are way too close together. WillowBend is dead meat, StoneBriar isn't even 30 minutes from NorthPark, it's 25 minutes in regular traffic. Grapevine Mills is barely 30 minutes away. Legacy West is coming along, but it's so new it's hard to judge.

Old 09-21-2021, 03:41 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
Well, SOMEONE is going to target that Frisco/Plano section as the wealth keeps going up over that way. It makes sense that the luxury market would grow as well. I forgot about Legacy West. But yeah, either a mall or perhaps something else will emerge to service that part of the region that doesnt want to have to drive all the way down to Northpark. Michael Kors may not have worked out years ago when they first came up there, but Frisco has grown massively since then. I suspect the market has as well.

I frankly dont get the logic of the Galleria as a high end mall. If I'm a high brow shopper from Frisco. I've already driven over half an hour to get to Dallas. What's an extra 10 minutes more to get to Northpark which would have the bigger/wider/better selections?
Oh, I 100% agree with Frisco / Plano being a second luxury market in the metroplex, I just don’t think Stonebriar will ever be the draw for those brands. It’s too family centered and is now filled with junk brands (The Buckle, Hot Topic) and mid-tier mall brands (White House Black Market, Loft, Kay Jewelers, etc). They lost their Apple Store due to Eastern District Court politics. Sephora and Williams-Sonoma are the most “luxury” tier offerings. The Nordstrom is a B- store.

Curious to see how the brands perform at Legacy West. It definitely has a better vibe for upscale than Stonebriar.

Old 09-21-2021, 04:30 PM

9,849 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Whats interesting to me is that the Galleria in Houston and the one in Dallas serve different purposes. The Galleria in Houston is more like NorthPark since thats where our luxury brands tend to congregate. The Galleria in Dallas tends to have a more middle class vibe to it.

Id imagine location drives some of that. The Galleria in Houston is sandwiched between River Oaks, Afton Oaks, Tanglewood, and Bellaire. In Dallas, NorthPark is adjacent to Highland Park and University Park.
Basically, the reverse effect of the two Highland Village. The Highland Village in the Dallas is the premier shopping development of its name while the Highland Village in Houston is more similar to Knox/Henderson in terms of the type of stores that they attract.

Old 09-21-2021, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Is Neiman Marcus struggling as well? What if they decided to relocate that store to the Galleria Dallas? I'm thinking the next Neiman Marcus will go way out on 380 or further beyond into Prosper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas