Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2020, 09:19 AM

528 posts, read 1,284,685 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all,

I have previously asked about schools in the area so thankful for everyone's input on that.

We are here in town from Atlanta trying to narrow our focus on where to live. My husband's job is on Hwy 161 in Irving so we want a good commute. We have two children, 14 and 16, 8th grade and 11th grade. One is a diver and one is a dancer. We are trying to pick great schools for them that have what they want- dive team and dance team that they both can actually make. I know the Southlake schools are amazing and #1 and all that jazz. I spoke to a couple of moms whose kids go there and they love it and their kids are doing great. However, we are new and my daughter is a junior and I'm worried about how she will fit in wherever we may end up. I'm worried about how competitive that school is both academically and for sports. I think my diver will be fine and can be on their team but my dancer is good but not sure she would make the America's Got Talent Emerald Belles! I don't want my kids to feel extra stress and pressure for academics. They're both smart but won't be in the top 6% wherever we end up so that's not my focus.

I spoke to the woman who runs GC Divers and she told me I should send my diver to either Keller HS or Southlake HS because their coaches and teams are amazing so I'm trying to focus on those two though I just expressed my worries about Southlake.... I also am considering Flower Mound HS, Byron Nelson, Marcus or Colleyville-Heritage.

We looked with our realtors yesterday and there is not much on the market right now. I don't want to rule out Flower Mound except that the drive from there to the diving club in either Keller or Southlake where she is likely to have practice will be awful round trip multiple times a week. So, I suppose I'm ruling it out...the dive lady did say if we wanted Flower Mound, we should look at the southmost part of it which is Byron Nelson HS.

I know I'm all over the place here. I'm actually looking for parents whose children attend any of these local high schools and for their input. I would love to talk to a Keller HS mom. Anyone out there that can give me some feedback??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2020, 11:55 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,891,424 times
Most important question: what's your budget for a house?

If it's under $500k, cross Southlake off the list. It's a very upscale suburb, and housing prices there go well over $1M. Southlake HS is also HUGE and very competitive.

You are very correct that the drive from FM to Keller, Southlake or Irving will get very old quickly. There's also the reconstruction of the 121/635 interchange that's currently going on and scheduled to last through 2022.

I personally live in Grapevine, although I don't have any kids so I can't comment on the schools. If you need to know about life in NE Tarrant County, feel free to ask. I also work in Irving at 161 and Trinity Blvd, and I can definitely say that your husband's commute will be easier if you live on the west side of DFW Airport.

Old 11-23-2020, 02:35 PM

Thank you for responding. Budget can go to $1.3MM so that’s not a problem but would like to spend less. So do you think Flower Mound is too far of a commute?

Old 11-23-2020, 02:46 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,891,424 times
Flower Mound to 161 will not be an easy commute until at least 2022 due to that messy construction. Even after that, getting south to the PGBT/161 can be pretty heavy traffic. (What cross street is nearest to his office?)

Honestly, look at Colleyville. Your budget will buy a nice house, likely on a lot with trees. CHHS is a very good high school, too.

Old 11-23-2020, 03:18 PM

565 posts, read 559,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Honestly, look at Colleyville. Your budget will buy a nice house, likely on a lot with trees. CHHS is a very good high school, too.
Agreed. Colleyville would 100% be my choice.

Very reasonable commute, highschool is top 4% in the nation and it's more cost effective than Southlake but not so much more cost effective that your going to have people signficantly lower than you on the socio-economic scale

Old 11-24-2020, 06:48 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,536,428 times
I wouldn't rule out either HS in GCISD. Many homes with Colleyville addresses will be zoned to Grapevine HS. I shouldn't say this as a CHHS mom, but the GHS dance team prob gets the edge at least currently. Both teams do a great job, but the Fillies have more history/lore/all that stuff.

Old 11-24-2020, 09:42 AM

Thanks for the replies. I really feel like I should be sticking with Keller and Southlake since that’s where the dive club owner is telling me to send my child. If I have the choice, why not go where she is telling me she will get the best coaching? Does anyone have any input about those schools? Strictly focusing on the high schools. Thank you!

Old 11-24-2020, 11:17 AM

625 posts, read 668,986 times
You might post in the Fort Worth forum as Keller is much closer to FW than to Dallas. Southlake Carroll has the 'best' reputation and real estate values probably are the strongest. I've heard its very clique-y, but what affluent suburban schools aren't?

Old 11-24-2020, 03:32 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,536,428 times
I have several HS age patients that dive in Southlake Carroll, one already committed to a good school and the exact one it is is escaping me. I saw her back in Sept when the kids weren't back in person yet. Have heard exactly zero about Keller's swim and dive team. If the choice is between Southlake and Keller, I guess I would go Southlake and just buckle up. You might want to reach out to the coach before you commit. I do NOT mean this in a bad way AT ALL, but there are kids that are great athletes in other areas that don't even make the team in Southlake. That is in no way me disparaging your diver's ability since obviously I don't know them! I only say that since you had previously expressed concerns about your dancer.

Keller as a community is great. I have just literally heard nothing about swimming/diving there. Do they practice at Southlake's natatorium? GCISD has its own facility like Carroll. KHS has a good dance team, not sure about the other high schools. Academics in Keller are always a bit behind Southlake and GCISD but they aren't bad schools at all.

I know these decisions are hard!

Old 11-24-2020, 04:40 PM

I have spoken to the woman who runs GC Divers and already asked her if either Keller or Carroll's teams cut or if she can walk on and she said they don't cut but that Carroll has a huge team so she might not compete at regionals. I definitely want her to be able to be on the team in high school- she's rather introverted and is ok once she knows you but is very shy when meeting people so this is her sport and I want to be sure she can do it in school. :-)

Thanks again for all of your input. It's a tough decision but we are getting there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas