Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2020, 06:21 PM

528 posts, read 1,283,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Movingeast View Post
I have several HS age patients that dive in Southlake Carroll, one already committed to a good school and the exact one it is is escaping me. I saw her back in Sept when the kids weren't back in person yet. Have heard exactly zero about Keller's swim and dive team. If the choice is between Southlake and Keller, I guess I would go Southlake and just buckle up. You might want to reach out to the coach before you commit. I do NOT mean this in a bad way AT ALL, but there are kids that are great athletes in other areas that don't even make the team in Southlake. That is in no way me disparaging your diver's ability since obviously I don't know them! I only say that since you had previously expressed concerns about your dancer.

Keller as a community is great. I have just literally heard nothing about swimming/diving there. Do they practice at Southlake's natatorium? GCISD has its own facility like Carroll. KHS has a good dance team, not sure about the other high schools. Academics in Keller are always a bit behind Southlake and GCISD but they aren't bad schools at all.

I know these decisions are hard!
Keller has it's own Natatorium close by the high school but not attached like Southlake's. Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2020, 10:58 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
Sent you a DM.

Old 11-25-2020, 02:57 PM

194 posts, read 181,172 times
Just to throw this out there - is your dancer the 11th grader or 8th grader? Asking as many of the high schools do their auditions for next year’s dance team in December. Ours has already held the interest meeting. If your dancer is the 11th grader you may reach out and see how to handle an incoming student. Not sure when you’ll be here.
If it’s your 8th grader there are special drill team classes at many of the dance studios to prepare for high school dance team and audition.

Old 11-25-2020, 06:40 PM

Wow, good to know. It’s my 11th grader! I will reach out to the coach next week to find out that information. Thank you for letting me know!

Old 04-11-2021, 08:26 AM

15 posts, read 18,301 times
I’m wondering where you ended up going. We are moving to that area at the end of this school year and I have a dancer and a rising jr cheerleader. We are worried cheerleader won’t be able to cheer bc we don’t know how schools handle later arrivals, and also wondering how your search for good but not emerald belles level dance team went! Can you share an update? I don’t know how to DM on this forum as I’m new here but if you can message me privately so as not to share personal info that is great.

Old 05-02-2021, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AajMom View Post
I’m wondering where you ended up going. We are moving to that area at the end of this school year and I have a dancer and a rising jr cheerleader. We are worried cheerleader won’t be able to cheer bc we don’t know how schools handle later arrivals, and also wondering how your search for good but not emerald belles level dance team went! Can you share an update? I don’t know how to DM on this forum as I’m new here but if you can message me privately so as not to share personal info that is great.
AajMom- we ended up in Keller. My daughter made the Varsity Drill/Dance Team for her senior year. We started school March 22nd- the day tryouts started for her though the coach did say they let kids try out after that date if you're new to the school. My 8th grader was able to also start the middle school dive team on the same day. I would reach out to the coaches of the schools you are considering. We have not found a house though. :-( I just saw your dm and responded to it!

Last edited by livinginbuffalo; 05-02-2021 at 03:39 PM..

Old 05-04-2021, 11:18 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,261,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginbuffalo View Post
Thanks for the replies. I really feel like I should be sticking with Keller and Southlake since that’s where the dive club owner is telling me to send my child. If I have the choice, why not go where she is telling me she will get the best coaching? Does anyone have any input about those schools? Strictly focusing on the high schools. Thank you!

Unless you think your kid has a shot at making the Olympic team getting a scholarship for a IVY school....I wouldn't pick where you live based on a diving coach.

I mean plus a diving coach can always leave.....

Old 05-04-2021, 03:34 PM

15 posts, read 18,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Unless you think your kid has a shot at making the Olympic team getting a scholarship for a IVY school....I wouldn't pick where you live based on a diving coach.

I mean plus a diving coach can always leave.....
I disagree. Living near places that offer excellence in my children’s activities, as well as good academics, is a major driving force behind where we choose to live. My child is not going to be a professional dancer; but I want to live close to a studio that provides high level training, because that is important to her. Not to mention that if your child is into an activity that happens through school, and can’t do that activity bc you move... it’s not going to go well.

My other daughter is a cheerleader and her being able to cheer for the remainder of high school is a deciding factor for where we choose when we move at the end of this school year. Of course there are balancing factors, where you work being a big one, but within those parameters I would (and plan to) absolutely pick where we live on the basis of my children being able to access their chosen activities at a high level.

Old 05-04-2021, 07:50 PM

10 posts, read 9,087 times
Quote:
I disagree. Living near places that offer excellence in my children’s activities, as well as good academics, is a major driving force behind where we choose to live. My child is not going to be a professional dancer; but I want to live close to a studio that provides high level training, because that is important to her. Not to mention that if your child is into an activity that happens through school, and can’t do that activity bc you move... it’s not going to go well.

My other daughter is a cheerleader and her being able to cheer for the remainder of high school is a deciding factor for where we choose when we move at the end of this school year. Of course there are balancing factors, where you work being a big one, but within those parameters I would (and plan to) absolutely pick where we live on the basis of my children being able to access their chosen activities at a high level.
Plano Sr High has top notch Drill/Dance team competing for state title every year. And noncompetitive cheer team so your daughter can be a star cheerleader there. They probably compete in high level swim and dive but not sure. And there are a few top notch dance studios in Plano that draws from other towns.

As for Ivy league I don't think they have football scholarships but just getting admitted is the scholarship because most would have little chance otherwise. Football is a big part of alumni activity so if you can clobber Harvard morale is good. Amherst on the other hand probably recruits actual students who just happen to want to keep playing in college. Real student athletes.

Old 05-05-2021, 08:17 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,261,035 times
Quote:

Yeah, but many schools in the Metroplex have good drill teams or diving teams. Grapevine HS for example has a good diving team...I have no idea about their drill team.

But my point remains: I wouldn't buy a house based on one coach/ program at a highschool...coaches move.

Not dissing sports either, I grew up playing them and think competing is an important part of an education.

But unless you are planning on going pro I just wouldn't personally pick a house solely around a coach/ program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas