Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2020, 12:29 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,390,475 times

Advertisements

Elderly people who attend services are at huge risk, much more so than younger people.

Old 03-18-2020, 12:42 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,447,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Wouldn't you just love to shake people that out of it. Further, in a real way that kind of thinking puts your wife ergo your family at additional risk.
In fairness, I think I'm more educated on this because my wife is a nurse, working at a hospital that has now has several positive test patients. Not on her floor, thank God, but still close enough. So I know the "just wash your hands and you'll be fine going wherever you please" mantra is just plain wrong. Yet so many people believe this to be the gospel and we are seeing the results of this.

Old 03-18-2020, 01:04 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,414,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
In fairness, I think I'm more educated on this because my wife is a nurse, working at a hospital that has now has several positive test patients. Not on her floor, thank God, but still close enough. So I know the "just wash your hands and you'll be fine going wherever you please" mantra is just plain wrong. Yet so many people believe this to be the gospel and we are seeing the results of this.
Off topic but, I have to give it to the people working in healthcare. Not only they have to take full precautions more seriously than others. But to be able to work day in day out in stressful environment to better patient lives. I worked in ER as a Radiology Tech in my earlier years and it motivated me to finish my grad school to get out of that boxed environment. If you haven't lived it then you would have no idea.

Old 03-18-2020, 01:04 PM

80 posts, read 73,479 times
There are too many unknowns with this virus. Reports out of Italy and Spain show serious illness in younger patients as well- not all with underlying conditions. This afternoon, Dr. Birx of the US Covid-19 task force, reversed the position of younger people simply being silent carriers to also being at risk. We all owe it to our families and communities to take this seriously.

Old 03-18-2020, 01:44 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,464,776 times
Simon Property Group is closing all of its malls/retail until March 29.

They own...

-Allen Premium Outlets
-Firewheel (Garland)
-Grand Prairie Premium Outlets
-Grapevine Mills
-Northeast Mall (Hurst)

I wonder how soon before Northpark and Galleria Dallas are closed. Those are the 2 malls I've visited most frequent in my time living here.

Old 03-18-2020, 01:59 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,124,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDContribuitor View Post
First reported Coronavirus related death in DFW.
https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/coronavi...texas/2333046/
It was a total s***show due to inadequate Coronavirus testing.

He was denied Coronavirus testing, because he did not travel. He was sent home with Tamiflu, even though he tested negative for the flu. Tamiflu does not work on Coronavirus.

He kept getting worse and was hospitalized with double pneumonia and placed in ICU. he died one day after the Coronavirus test was administered.

Fort Worth Star Telegram: https://www.star-telegram.com/news/c...241270066.html

Snippet on the patient being sent home:
Quote:
At first, Pat James believed that he might have the flu, but that test came back negative, Brandt said.

“So they sent him home and he got some Tamiflu and thought he would wait it out,” Brandt said.
Snippet on why he was not tested initially:
Quote:
Still, Brandt said she wonders why a COVID-19 test was not given to her father-in-law sooner. Brandt said she does not know if Jean James’ care will be any different if she is tested for COVID-19 and the results are positive.

“It’s my understanding he did not meet the criteria and the only criteria he did not meet is that he had not been out of the country,” Brandt said. “Just because he was not out the country does not mean the man in front of him at the hardware store had not been out of the country. If someone checks all the boxes except one, that should be a red flag.”
Current testing ability is still hampered, despite drive-through testing. Coronavirus testing is up to 3-4k/ day. South Korea does 20k/day.
USA Coronavirus Testing by date: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ing-in-us.html

Old 03-18-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
It was a total s***show due to inadequate Coronavirus testing.

He was denied Coronavirus testing, because he did not travel. He was sent home with Tamiflu, even though he tested negative for the flu. Tamiflu does not work on Coronavirus.

He kept getting worse and was hospitalized with double pneumonia and placed in ICU. he died one day after the Coronavirus test was administered.

Fort Worth Star Telegram: https://www.star-telegram.com/news/c...241270066.html

Snippet on the patient being sent home:

Snippet on why he was not tested initially:
Well the chances of someone getting Coronavirus who travelled overseas and shows flu symptoms is higher than someone domestic. They are trying to reserve the limited supplies, resources for the highly likely. Not saying the domestic folks can't have it. But there is a pecking order due to the limited resource and supplies. Hope that makes sense. I understand that is the problem with US in general not just DFW area.

Old 03-18-2020, 02:11 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,390,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Simon Property Group is closing all of its malls/retail until March 29.

They own...

-Allen Premium Outlets
-Firewheel (Garland)
-Grand Prairie Premium Outlets
-Grapevine Mills
-Northeast Mall (Hurst)

I wonder how soon before Northpark and Galleria Dallas are closed. Those are the 2 malls I've visited most frequent in my time living here.
There are still people shopping in malls, believe it or not.

I drove around in Plano today to get a prescription through the drive-through window at CVS. I was amazed to see all the cars at fast food places, Chik Fil A was very popular today. So was the the Sonic and Wendys'. Traffic was just like a normal day!

Old 03-18-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
There are still people shopping in malls, believe it or not.

I drove around in Plano today to get a prescription through the drive-through window at CVS. I was amazed to see all the cars at fast food places, Chik Fil A was very popular today. So was the the Sonic and Wendys'. Traffic was just like a normal day!
Us humans are driven by the priorities we set in life for us. People still believe this to be a hoax have this lower in priority till someone nearby dies. Priority level shifts real quick to go in isolation mode rather than be out in the mall shopping.

Old 03-18-2020, 02:34 PM

451 posts, read 320,790 times
You are right. Let us use this forum to gather information and make the best judgement and approach for ourselves and our family if we get into a situation where we need to go for medical attention.

Please remember that the health care professionals are working under the guidelines that they have received, which will keep on changing on a daily basis, based on various factors. They are doing their best, so cooperation from us will help them do their jobs well.

Everybody is feeling anxiety at the moment. Let's channel our energy towards the most positive outcome that we could make happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
Well the chances of someone getting Coronavirus who travelled overseas and shows flu symptoms is higher than someone domestic. They are trying to reserve the limited supplies, resources for the highly likely. Not saying the domestic folks can't have it. But there is a pecking order due to the limited resource and supplies. Hope that makes sense. I understand that is the problem with US in general not just DFW area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas