Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2021, 02:24 PM

573 posts, read 336,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
--snip--

Fauci doesn't work for the CDC. He has no affiliation with the CDC whatsoever. He is the Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. That is a completely different organization than the CDC. It's extremely telling that you have such strong opinions on this stuff yet don't even know what organization Fauci works for.
You are correct, my apologies.

Old 08-31-2021, 02:26 PM

573 posts, read 336,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHETTAOLAO View Post
Well you tell them then don't asking me to try harder I just forward what i got believe is or not is up to you and I don't give a crap what you said either and don't try to be smart a... s with me
Why quote something you don't believe? Or do you actually believe them?

5,842 posts, read 4,179,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
It is what it is.

I got both jabs and Ill get a booster if thats whats recommended, but dont expect me to camp out in my bedroom on the off chance I get someone sick. Especially considering, where adults are concerned, almost all the time they die because they didnt get the shot themselves.
Sure. I'm right there with you. I agree that we can't quarantine forever, and from the beginning, I was willing to take those measures until an effective vaccine came along. Luckily, three of them came along at record speed. I got both jabs, and I'll get a booster if/when it's recommended. I'm moving on with life now.

If everyone would just get the shots, we'd be done with this whole thing.

115 posts, read 63,951 times
Quote:
Sure, but over time, the vaccines will lose some of their efficacy. If we are debating whether we should get boosters or not, the scenario in which we don't should probably account for that. I have a friend who is a 36 year-old trauma surgeon and was fully vaccinated six months ago. He was recently infected and got knocked on the floor for a week. An old person may have had it much, much worse. As time goes by, boosters are likely going to be necessary to maintain herd immunity (if we ever actually achieve it).
Sounds like a lot of 'what ifs'.

Quote:
We can be at herd immunity without having anyone under 12 vaccinated. We're currently at 53% vaccinated, and there is a very big difference between that and 70%.

Didn't Israel achieve a higher and faster vaccinate rate than we did? They will still need booster shots.

Considering the scenario you are describing didn't play out in any country, I doubt it was ever a real possibility. I suppose New Zealand may be able to reach 'herd immunity' before opening up their borders, so we could potentially see if that is a country that would never need booster shots.

Old 08-31-2021, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatocoins View Post
Didn't Israel achieve a higher and faster vaccinate rate than we did? They will still need booster shots.

Considering the scenario you are describing didn't play out in any country, I doubt it was ever a real possibility. I suppose New Zealand may be able to reach 'herd immunity' before opening up their borders, so we could potentially see if that is a country that would never need booster shots.
I think we're talking past each other on notions of possibility. You are using it to mean "likely," whereas I simply mean "possible." It is possible that 70%+ of our population could have gotten vaccinated by now, and we had more opportunity to do so than any other country on earth. And that would be a big, big difference over 53%. Israel, for reference, is still at just 60%. I don't think any epidemiologists believes 60% is sufficient for herd immunity.

The higher our vaccination rate goes, the less Covid transmission happens and the less opportunity there is for variants to arise. Hanging out at 53% gives Covid much greater opportunity to mutate and, eventually, produce strands that can infect the vaccinated. That heightens the need for boosters. And don't discount regional variances: while we are at 53% nationally, several states are still below 30%. That allows Covid to run amok.

I have no idea if we will be in a world where boosters will be needed every year or two years or ten years or never. But a lot of that depends on how quickly a large portion of the population gets the initial vaccine, and that's a factor that I'm not sure any epidemiologist can account for. Based on some of the comments in this thread, it's clear that there are a lot of ignoramouses who don't know sh*t about science and wouldn't get a vaccine in any scenario. I have a family member who is one such ignoramous. She thinks the vaccines "change your DNA." Misinformation and obstinance are a terrible combination.

Old 08-31-2021, 02:39 PM

8,353 posts, read 5,507,167 times
Quote:
Sure. I'm right there with you. I agree that we can't quarantine forever, and from the beginning, I was willing to take those measures until an effective vaccine came along. Luckily, three of them came along at record speed. I got both jabs, and I'll get a booster if/when it's recommended. I'm moving on with life now.

If everyone would just get the shots, we'd be done with this whole thing.
Same. Life cannot stand still. We must move forward. Once children can get the jab, there will be no excuse.

Im one of the lucky to have had Covid, been fine from it, and been vaccinated. Im very much done with it all.

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20...ccination.aspx

Old 08-31-2021, 02:45 PM

Quote:
I think we're talking past each other on notions of possibility. You are using it to mean "likely," whereas I simply mean "possible." It is possible that 70%+ of our population could have gotten vaccinated by now, and we had more opportunity to do so than any other country on earth. And that would be a big, big difference over 53%. Israel, for reference, is still at just 60%. I don't think any epidemiologists believes 60% is sufficient for herd immunity.

The higher our vaccination rate goes, the less Covid transmission happens and the less opportunity there is for variants to arise. Hanging out at 53% gives Covid much greater opportunity to mutate and, eventually, produce strands that can infect the vaccinated. That heightens the need for boosters. And don't discount regional variances: while we are at 53% nationally, several states are still below 30%. That allows Covid to run amok.

I have no idea if we will be in a world where boosters will be needed every year or two years or ten years or never. But a lot of that depends on how quickly a large portion of the population gets the initial vaccine, and that's a factor that I'm not sure any epidemiologist can account for. Based on some of the comments in this thread, it's clear that there are a lot of ignoramouses who don't know sh*t about science and wouldn't get a vaccine in any scenario. I have a family member who is one such ignoramous. She thinks the vaccines "change your DNA." Misinformation and obstinance are a terrible combination.
Sorry, I thought Israel has a higher uptake in vaccines. Would it have mattered (in the long run) if other countries aren't as fast/high as us on the vaccine uptake?

Also, doesn't natural immunity count towards herd immunity?

Old 08-31-2021, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Same. Life cannot stand still. We must move forward. Once children can get the jab, there will be no excuse.

Im one of the lucky to have had Covid, been fine from it, and been vaccinated. Im very much done with it all.

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20...ccination.aspx
My grandmother was (very) lucky to have gotten Covid and yet been totally fine despite being in her late 70's. She's now fully-vaccinated, too, so I'm hoping she has good immunity. She needs it, as she lives in a county where the fully vaccinated rate is just 25%. It's hard to imagine how stats like that can still exist at this point.

Old 08-31-2021, 02:47 PM

Quote:
My grandmother was (very) lucky to have gotten Covid and yet been totally fine despite being in her late 70's. She's now fully-vaccinated, too, so I'm hoping she has good immunity. She needs it, as she lives in a county where the fully vaccinated rate is just 25%. It's hard to imagine how stats like that can still exist at this point.
It's not hard to imagine at all. There are some parts of the country where life continued as normal and maybe a lot of people didn't get COVID despite taking mininal/zero precautions. From their perspective, it may seem overblown and not something they have to worry about.

Old 08-31-2021, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatocoins View Post
Sorry, I thought Israel has a higher uptake in vaccines. Would it have mattered (in the long run) if other countries aren't as fast/high as us on the vaccine uptake?

Also, doesn't natural immunity count towards herd immunity?
Sure it does, but we aren't anywhere close to 70% even factoring in positive cases. Only about 13% of the country has actually gotten Covid, so even if none of those people had gotten the vaccines, we'd only be at 66%. But I have a suspicion that a lot of people who have gotten Covid have also gotten the vaccines, so our total number is likely lower than that. But keep in mind that 70% is probably the bare minimum number, and just as taking antibiotics infrequently and sporadically doesn't have the same effect that taking them daily for a set period does, being slow to get to 70%+ leaves more time for the virus to mutate and create strands that can infect other-wise immune people.

Plenty of infectious diseases run rampant in other countries but have little to no presence in vaccinated countries. In the early days of Covid, a single case coming in from outside could have meant thousands (or millions) of cases in the US. That scenario doesn't exist if herd immunity has been achieved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas