Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2020, 07:22 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,122,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapaustinite View Post
We should test COVID19 on you and your loved ones. See how many of you survive - as long as like 50% of your family makes it I figure that's pretty solid. Anything for the economy! Seriously, Americans are so soft the last few decades... we used to survive and thrive in much worse circumstances.

Jokes aside, we do have an idea of what happened in our own country when NY was out of control. It was bad - very bad. You don't need all the data to know just how bad it was - the bad data is simply horrifying.

Hospitalizations and ICU admissions are rapidly increasing. If we can't handle the surge and you get COVID, you and many others will likely die if you are in the % of humans who get very sick. And you will die because of a resource problem, rather than the virus.

Once hospitals are overloaded, the mortality rate will sky rocket and maybe some people living in la la land will finally wake up. This could have all been over, had we just waited 2-3 more weeks in early May. We would be out and about right now, living generally normal lives. Again, Americans have gone very soft. The damage from a continued pandemic is going to be much greater.
We can lockdown businesses and kick people and their kids into the street. That'll teach them.

I have been homeless for a year. A grown man should not drop from 150 to 120 lbs. I shouldn't have to run from creepy MFs, ready to jump you for their perversions. You sit on your throne with food and shelter judging others that have to work.

As long as everybody else ends up with PTSD and other diseases than Corona, it must be good.

It must be nice.

Last edited by move4ward; 06-22-2020 at 07:32 PM..

Old 06-22-2020, 08:35 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Abbott can talk about how everyone should "be safe" and "wash their hands" but it won't do one bit of good. His legacy as governor of Texas will be "death governor."
We need a mask law as they have in California.

Just as we seatbelt laws and a host of other laws to protect people, we also need a law that requires people to wear a mask. So everyone just needs to grow the F up and wear one when you are in public places. (I mean "you" as in you, general, not directed to the poster). Otherwise, do not go to a hospital and demand that the healthcare workers treat you for covid. You don't deserve it.

Old 06-22-2020, 08:45 PM

44 posts, read 39,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
We can lockdown businesses and kick people and their kids into the street. That'll teach them.

I have been homeless for a year. A grown man should not drop from 150 to 120 lbs. I shouldn't have to run from creepy MFs, ready to jump you for their perversions. You sit on your throne with food and shelter judging others that have to work.

As long as everybody else ends up with PTSD and other diseases than Corona, it must be good.

It must be nice.
I am sorry you are homeless. That said, I am not sitting on any throne as I work 100 hours a week or more generally speaking, and I've been doing that since the age of 17. I've also done that through COVID. Being homeless has nothing to do with COVID or this conversation.

Nonetheless, all we had to do was hold our horses in May 2020 for a week or two, so we could be generally COVID free (ramping down) today.

We are not COVID free, and we are at risk of a repeat of NY. If not here, then potentially Houston. I hope that isn't true. Wake up. We didn't have to be here, I want to be open more than anyone which is why I did my part and stayed home in May. I did my part and bought local during lockdown. That is why I only go out to support (safe) local businesses now and wear a mask and use hand sanitizer regularly.

So, because of our short sightedness (the govt was very willing to bail out businesses with PPP and employees with unemployment earning more than before), we will potentially need to lockdown businesses and many people will lose their livelihood. Why? Because Americans are so soft nowadays. I don't want it, but most Americans have asked for it by being foolish. Seriously, why not wear a mask? It's so easy, get used to it.

Old 06-22-2020, 08:48 PM

8,353 posts, read 5,507,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Abbott can talk about how everyone should "be safe" and "wash their hands" but it won't do one bit of good. His legacy as governor of Texas will be "death governor."
We need a mask law as they have in California.

Just as we seatbelt laws and a host of other laws to protect people, we also need a law that requires people to wear a mask. So everyone just needs to grow the F up and wear one when you are in public places. (I mean "you" as in you, general, not directed to the poster). Otherwise, do not go to a hospital and demand that the healthcare workers treat you for covid. You don't deserve it.
I don’t necessarily disagree but how is California doing any better? They are in the same boat we are despite being more aggressive about lockdowns and masks. The numbers coming out of California (specifically Southern California) are every bit as awful.

Old 06-22-2020, 08:53 PM

44 posts, read 39,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I don’t necessarily disagree but how is California doing any better? They are in the same boat we are despite being more aggressive about lockdowns and masks. The numbers coming out of California (specifically Southern California) are every bit as awful.
Unfortunately, this is true. Still, wearing a mask is quite easy, and it does help lower the chances a sick individual (who may be contagious and not that sick) from getting another individual sick. At the very least.

Everyone could care less in Texas, I support a mask law because of our careless combined with cases rapidly increasing. No risk to wearing a mask... A LOT of risk to wearing no mask. No brainer.

Old 06-22-2020, 11:24 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,122,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapaustinite View Post
I am sorry you are homeless. That said, I am not sitting on any throne as I work 100 hours a week or more generally speaking, and I've been doing that since the age of 17. I've also done that through COVID. Being homeless has nothing to do with COVID or this conversation.

Nonetheless, all we had to do was hold our horses in May 2020 for a week or two, so we could be generally COVID free (ramping down) today.

We are not COVID free, and we are at risk of a repeat of NY. If not here, then potentially Houston. I hope that isn't true. Wake up. We didn't have to be here, I want to be open more than anyone which is why I did my part and stayed home in May. I did my part and bought local during lockdown. That is why I only go out to support (safe) local businesses now and wear a mask and use hand sanitizer regularly.

So, because of our short sightedness (the govt was very willing to bail out businesses with PPP and employees with unemployment earning more than before), we will potentially need to lockdown businesses and many people will lose their livelihood. Why? Because Americans are so soft nowadays. I don't want it, but most Americans have asked for it by being foolish. Seriously, why not wear a mask? It's so easy, get used to it.
Let me clarify, I was homeless for a year. It was years ago. It was horrible all around. In a sister shelter,, an 20 yr left the shelter to work as a stripper. She came back within 6 months begging for help to get treatment for HIV. It was an under 21 youth halfway house program, so she was too old to come back. She went back to the streets without health insurance or treatment.

A guy that pointed to that shelter went to jail, 3 months after I got in to the shelter. Half the guys ended up on drugs shortly after leaving there.

This is only the safe stuff I can mention without identifying myself. To many people, it comes down to keeping their kids off the street. The reality of unemployment and homelessness is 100% miserable vs 1% for Coronavirus.

Old 06-23-2020, 06:30 AM

451 posts, read 320,533 times
Thank you for that perspective. I hope that we come out of this crisis quickly and the economy recovers soon enough for many who are trying to make a living. Hang in there. We will get through this as a society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Let me clarify, I was homeless for a year. It was years ago. It was horrible all around. In a sister shelter,, an 20 yr left the shelter to work as a stripper. She came back within 6 months begging for help to get treatment for HIV. It was an under 21 youth halfway house program, so she was too old to come back. She went back to the streets without health insurance or treatment.

A guy that pointed to that shelter went to jail, 3 months after I got in to the shelter. Half the guys ended up on drugs shortly after leaving there.

This is only the safe stuff I can mention without identifying myself. To many people, it comes down to keeping their kids off the street. The reality of unemployment and homelessness is 100% miserable vs 1% for Coronavirus.

Old 06-23-2020, 08:29 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,461,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
We won’t know the full impact of covid for a few years. Of course there will be things we look back on with more wisdom. But that doesn’t take away from 200,000++ families who said goodbye to loved ones too soon. Like my friend’s perfectly healthy 76 year old father who went to the hospital in NY in late February for a random wound before anyone realized covid was already spreading through the hospital system there. He came home from the hospital, developed a cough a few days later, and a week after that was dead. 200,000++ families will have stories like that.
How about the economic victims like myself? Don't those people matter? The full extent of the financial devastation that has been wrought upon me in this is unknown right now. It's been bad. We are talking hurricane calamitous bad. I've taken a double beating since I graduated into the 2008 recession. I spent most of the 2010s trying to recover from 2008. I might even end up homeless too. I'll probably end up spending most of the 2020s recovering from the COVID economic damage. That's 2 lost decades of my life due to recession.

Old 06-23-2020, 09:02 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,306,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
How about the economic victims like myself? Don't those people matter? The full extent of the financial devastation that has been wrought upon me in this is unknown right now. It's been bad. We are talking hurricane calamitous bad. I've taken a double beating since I graduated into the 2008 recession. I spent most of the 2010s trying to recover from 2008. I might even end up homeless too. I'll probably end up spending most of the 2020s recovering from the COVID economic damage. That's 2 lost decades of my life due to recession.
I, too, am an economic victim. Our business was basically closed for 10 weeks (revenue down 90%) and likely won’t recover for another 12-24 months. I’m sorry you are suffering again.

But economics had nothing to do with the post you quoted. In response to someone who said “most survive, who cares” i was simply stating its going to be a few years before we know the number who were infected, died, or suffer long-term health problems as survivors. It was not arguing for/against any shutdowns though I do wish people would all wear their damn masks so we don’t have to close our business again.

Old 06-23-2020, 09:11 AM

451 posts, read 320,533 times
Spread the word:
The Dallas-Fort Worth Hospital Council released a statement that reads in part:

“We are carefully monitoring the increase, acknowledge the COVID-19 census has increased over the past 2 to 2.5 weeks, but still only represents about 7.5% of our total census. We will certainly watch carefully our COVID-19 hospitalizations, but ask everyone to please wear facial covering in public, practice social distancing, wash your hands frequently and practice good personal hygiene. If we all work collaboratively together, we can slow community spread and strive to open businesses in a very safe manner."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas