Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2020, 12:31 PM

104 posts, read 61,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
The gloves thing is super weird. My fitness studio is requiring them because the state said they were mandatory, but we don’t share equipment during class. I’m not quite ready to go back yet even though I miss it terribly but I don’t understand the rationale behind gloves.
Exactly, you have to wash your hands once you taking the gloves off anyway why even bother.
Direct from CDC:

When gloves aren’t needed
Wearing gloves outside of these instances (for example, when using a shopping cart or using an ATM) will not necessarily protect you from getting COVID-19 and may still lead to the spread of germs. The best way to protect yourself from germs when running errands and after going out is to regularly wash your hands with soap and water for 20 seconds or use hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.

Old 05-22-2020, 01:24 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHETTAOLAO View Post
Exactly, you have to wash your hands once you taking the gloves off anyway why even bother.
Direct from CDC:

When gloves aren’t needed
Wearing gloves outside of these instances (for example, when using a shopping cart or using an ATM) will not necessarily protect you from getting COVID-19 and may still lead to the spread of germs. The best way to protect yourself from germs when running errands and after going out is to regularly wash your hands with soap and water for 20 seconds or use hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.

That's not what we were taught in military CBW training.

I will still put on gloves when I get out of my car. When I get back to my car after finishing my tasks, I will pull them before touching the door. I also arrange my actions so that I will not have touched my wallet or keys or phone while my gloves were on. And then in the car I'll wipe my hands anyway with my alcohol wipes.

Even before this pandemic, I took care not to put my hand on public common surfaces such as door handles and ATM buttons. I don't need the flu.

I'm in my late 60s, so I certainly can't afford to play around with covid-19.

Old 05-23-2020, 02:53 PM

451 posts, read 320,533 times
The challenge I have is what you mentioned about planning your actions to not touch your wallet or car keys. How can i achieve that? When I am grocery shopping, I put on my gloves when leaving my home and then I remove them once I am at home again after i have managed to get all the groceries to a quarantined space within the kitchen for further disinfecting. So the assumptiom here is that everything including the car, phone keys may get contaminated. I disinfect car keys, wallet and credit card with hand sanitizers prior to removing all clothes for washing and taking a shower. With regards to the car, since i am always with my gloves on, inside the car, I assume I do not get infected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That's not what we were taught in military CBW training.

I will still put on gloves when I get out of my car. When I get back to my car after finishing my tasks, I will pull them before touching the door. I also arrange my actions so that I will not have touched my wallet or keys or phone while my gloves were on. And then in the car I'll wipe my hands anyway with my alcohol wipes.

Even before this pandemic, I took care not to put my hand on public common surfaces such as door handles and ATM buttons. I don't need the flu.

I'm in my late 60s, so I certainly can't afford to play around with covid-19.

Old 05-23-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDContribuitor View Post
The challenge I have is what you mentioned about planning your actions to not touch your wallet or car keys. How can i achieve that? When I am grocery shopping, I put on my gloves when leaving my home and then I remove them once I am at home again after i have managed to get all the groceries to a quarantined space within the kitchen for further disinfecting. So the assumptiom here is that everything including the car, phone keys may get contaminated. I disinfect car keys, wallet and credit card with hand sanitizers prior to removing all clothes for washing and taking a shower. With regards to the car, since i am always with my gloves on, inside the car, I assume I do not get infected.

I don gloves after i've left the car and remove them before entering the car (before pulling out my keys or opening the door. I open the door with bare hands and drop gloves into container in the car. Thus, the car itself remains clean (although I'll still use disinfectant wipes each trip on surfaces I might have touched in the car).

I'm not really worried about most objects I bring into the house...my concern about them is a matter of how often and how recently they've been handled. Those are serious considerations for objects in the room of a covid-19 patient, not so much for an object on a rack at Home Depot. At Home Depot, I'm much more concerned about the handheld scanner and the credit card touch pad.

Old 05-23-2020, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTNE View Post
More and more evidence is showing that these steps are somewhat unnecessary.

I've increase my vigilance only slightly more than I've been practicing for years to prevent flu and other viruses.

And it's helped. My incidence of rhinovirus illnesses has subsequently dropped to zero.

Old 05-23-2020, 05:49 PM

113 posts, read 104,470 times
A good news for those had "common cold" recently. According to a most recent research, a certain percentage (such as ~10%) of people who had "common cold" or previously infected by other coronaviruses could develop immunity against Covid-19. This suggests that some of us -especially those who were caught by common cold in the past a few months - may already be resistant to Covid-19. The article is here: https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...92867420306103

Old 05-23-2020, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTNE View Post
Mine has been the same. I've just always washed my hands often, relied on an immune system, taken 25mg of CBD for the past 7 years and avoided sick people.

Well, actually, I don't rely on my immune system. I do make a point of staying healthy and taking supplements, including zinc, but if I were relying on my immune system, I wouldn't be taking precautions to prevent contracting diseases in the first place.

Old 05-24-2020, 01:17 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,817,640 times
Is it just me or are a lot of pple acting like everything is normal? In the past week, I've seen on social media a lot of pple doing regular things. This past weekend, I see pple at bars & restaurants

Old 05-24-2020, 08:08 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,122,671 times
For the first time since April 3rd, the USA does not have the highest 24-hr death total. Brazil has taken the lead.

As the deaths drop lower, we can continue to reopen the economy.

Worldometers Coronavirus Country Update 05/24/20 https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
703 Brazil
617 USA

Old 05-26-2020, 08:05 AM

451 posts, read 320,533 times
Makes sense. How do you manage to not touch your wallet or credit card for payment, with your gloves on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I don gloves after i've left the car and remove them before entering the car (before pulling out my keys or opening the door. I open the door with bare hands and drop gloves into container in the car. Thus, the car itself remains clean (although I'll still use disinfectant wipes each trip on surfaces I might have touched in the car).

I'm not really worried about most objects I bring into the house...my concern about them is a matter of how often and how recently they've been handled. Those are serious considerations for objects in the room of a covid-19 patient, not so much for an object on a rack at Home Depot. At Home Depot, I'm much more concerned about the handheld scanner and the credit card touch pad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas