Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 08:25 PM

3,916 posts, read 2,229,191 times

Advertisements

I saw a couple vids on YouTube concerning this project but they're from about 2 years ago.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B3-_DQimCEc
Was wondering if those of you who are from the area have any current info to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2019, 06:47 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,474,206 times
Some demolition has happened, but very little in the way of rebuilding.

Old 10-12-2019, 10:08 AM

7,893 posts, read 11,435,471 times
I moved to Plano from out of town in 2010. Seems like this project was highlighted way back there but took until now to get off the ground? Something smells like it has issues to take that long. The name is a bit underwhelming too. Too many names for the same place, Far north Dallas I am told is between 635 and PBGT so this is in Far North Dallas? Then why call it midtown?

Old 10-12-2019, 12:44 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,341,735 times
We live somewhat nearby. The developer was tangled up in a bunch of legal matters / lawsuits about the zoning and code violations so it basically just sat there half demolished for a few years, however in the past six months the pace of work has picked up.

This is the first big announcement I’ve seen about what’s actually going in there. Marketing signs are up on the property, expected to open in 2022:
https://living.lifetime.life/locatio...s-midtown.html
https://www.bisnow.com/dallas-ft-wor...ties-99025#ath

Scott Beck, the developer who owns about 1/4 of the Midtown land, has said it is a 15-20 year buildout project.

Old 10-12-2019, 03:42 PM

3,916 posts, read 2,229,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
We live somewhat nearby. The developer was tangled up in a bunch of legal matters / lawsuits about the zoning and code violations so it basically just sat there half demolished for a few years, however in the past six months the pace of work has picked up.

This is the first big announcement I’ve seen about what’s actually going in there. Marketing signs are up on the property, expected to open in 2022:

Scott Beck, the developer who owns about 1/4 of the Midtown land, has said it is a 15-20 year buildout project.
Wow! That'll be an awesome thing to see once the entire project is finished.

Old 10-12-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Wow! That'll be an awesome thing to see once the entire project is finished.
It will certainly change the surrounding areas north of there for the good.

Old 10-12-2019, 10:39 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,659,029 times
It finally started, well the housing market is starting to struggle. Unless the price the units for sale aggressively, they will be will renting them.

Old 10-13-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
It finally started, well the housing market is starting to struggle. Unless the price the units for sale aggressively, they will be will renting them.
The first part of the project is not even opening for another 2+ years, so I think it’s way too early to call anything like that. Again, it’s supposed to be a 15-20 year buildout. There will be several different economic cycles during that kind of time line.

20 years ago, the land for 90% of Shops at Legacy / Legacy West was farm or ranch land and the Dallas North Tollroad stopped at Legacy Drive. 15 years ago some of the first parts of the Original Shops were open. 10 years ago the economy had collapsed and I watched the prices on the original townhomes drop from $400k into the mid $250k range on the billboard sign when I exited to go to work. 6 years ago, Legacy West was announced. What just happened in the final 5 year buildout of Legacy West was incredibly fast paced compared to the first 15 years. The fact that prices had to be slashed on townhomes at one point in time has no bearing on the overall outcome of the entire development. I suspect the same would be true at Midtown once momentum builds.

One could only hope that Midtown is half as successful as Legacy - and that would be a mighty fine improvement over a 90% vacant mall that sat there for the past 6-7 years in a somewhat blighted neighborhood...

Last edited by TurtleCreek80; 10-13-2019 at 08:35 AM..

Old 10-14-2019, 12:04 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,520,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post

Some really nice looking apartments and a hotel east of the Galleria. But I'm sorry, Valley View (owned by Scott Beck) still looks like a 1980s bombed out Beirut.

Old 10-14-2019, 05:54 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,370,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I moved to Plano from out of town in 2010. Seems like this project was highlighted way back there but took until now to get off the ground? Something smells like it has issues to take that long. The name is a bit underwhelming too. Too many names for the same place, Far north Dallas I am told is between 635 and PBGT so this is in Far North Dallas? Then why call it midtown?
Because developers are all desperately seeking to make faux-urban developments in Dallas sound like they might be in Manhattan. I don't know if it works or not, it seems to me that the urban hipsters they're trying to attract would realize that far north Dallas is very unlike Manhattan. But marketeers aren't typically the sharpest knives in the drawer.

Since in Dallas, "Uptown" is that part just north of Woodall Rodgers, and "Downtown" is that part just south of Woodall Rodgers, obviously "Midtown" can only refer to the traffic lanes of Woodall Rodgers. True, there's a deck park there, but precious little else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: