Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 08:09 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,309,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Some really nice looking apartments and a hotel east of the Galleria. But I'm sorry, Valley View (owned by Scott Beck) still looks like a 1980s bombed out Beirut.
I agree- I just meant after literally ZERO movement for several years, there has actually been SOME movement / construction prep there since the beginning of summer. It’s an awful eyesore that’s highly visible from one of our main highways and I wish they would speed up a little...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2019, 11:33 AM

140 posts, read 141,585 times
They could have just called it Middle East, for the center part of the East Metroplex lol

Old 10-14-2019, 01:28 PM

5,265 posts, read 6,410,278 times
Quote:
They could have just called it Middle East, for the center part of the East Metroplex lol
Or MidWest, for it's on the west side of 75 near the center of the city of Dallas. Plus people would endlessly argue where exactly the midwest is and that is kind of fun.

Old 10-14-2019, 01:37 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
The first part of the project is not even opening for another 2+ years, so I think it’s way too early to call anything like that. Again, it’s supposed to be a 15-20 year buildout. There will be several different economic cycles during that kind of time line.

20 years ago, the land for 90% of Shops at Legacy / Legacy West was farm or ranch land and the Dallas North Tollroad stopped at Legacy Drive. 15 years ago some of the first parts of the Original Shops were open. 10 years ago the economy had collapsed and I watched the prices on the original townhomes drop from $400k into the mid $250k range on the billboard sign when I exited to go to work. 6 years ago, Legacy West was announced. What just happened in the final 5 year buildout of Legacy West was incredibly fast paced compared to the first 15 years. The fact that prices had to be slashed on townhomes at one point in time has no bearing on the overall outcome of the entire development. I suspect the same would be true at Midtown once momentum builds.

One could only hope that Midtown is half as successful as Legacy - and that would be a mighty fine improvement over a 90% vacant mall that sat there for the past 6-7 years in a somewhat blighted neighborhood...
I think you're putting it a little too mildly. That area has been ghetto as long as I can remember.

Old 10-14-2019, 03:35 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,335,748 times
Well, I'm going to keep calling it "Valley View" as I expect most real Dallasites will.

Old 10-14-2019, 04:01 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,417,653 times
I drive past the construction site weekly on my way to church. Ive lived in Plano 9 years and been through or to Dallas since the mid 50s. Valley view wouldn't mean much to me and most transplants. Where's the valley to view lol?

Midtown gives one a hint where it might be, half way between Dallas ans something but Valley view could be literally any where?

Old 10-15-2019, 06:11 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,335,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I drive past the construction site weekly on my way to church. Ive lived in Plano 9 years and been through or to Dallas since the mid 50s. Valley view wouldn't mean much to me and most transplants. Where's the valley to view lol?

Midtown gives one a hint where it might be, half way between Dallas ans something but Valley view could be literally any where?
Well, Valley View Mall was built at the intersection of Valley View Rd and Preston Road (LBJ Freeway was partly laid over Valley View Rd.) Valley View Rd. undoubtedly refers to the "valluy" (not much of a valley) of the Trinity River bottoms which Valley View Rd. crosses a couple miles to the west of the mall.

Midtown implies that its location is between Uptown and Downtown, which it obviously isn't. The developers are desperately trying to inject New York hipness into their latest faux-urban "mixed use" development by giving it a name that they hope will make people think it's as hip as Manhattan. Maybe some will be stupid enough to fall for it. Most won't even pay any attention to it at all, and a few actual real live Dallasites will think the name is stupid and undescriptive.

I mean, if being partway between one thing and another thing is the deciding factor, let's rename Van Alstyne "Midtown" because it's halfway between Dallas and Sherman; and let's rename Centerville "Midtown" because it's halfway between Dallas and Houston. For that matter, let's rename Dallas itself "Midtown" - after all, isn't Dallas about halfway between Atlanta and LA?

Old 10-15-2019, 06:25 AM

380 posts, read 369,035 times
I was peripherally involved in this project at its beginning, and if I'm not mistaken, "Midtown" refers to the area being in between downtown and the northern reaches of the Dallas side of DFW. I agree it's poorly named, and I and my colleagues thought so then too!

Old 10-15-2019, 07:29 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,417,653 times
Name selection aside, it is amazing to get a tract this size along the path of strongest growth for a major city. I hope they are successful.

Thanks for the education on Valley View as well I am not familiar with all the major streets this part of DFW. As a long time resident of Houston, I get calling this a valley view even though it is not noticeable much today when driving in traffic in this area. .

Old 10-15-2019, 08:17 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,410,278 times
Quote:
Thanks for the education on Valley View as well I am not familiar with all the major streets this part of DFW.

It's very Dallas too -bulldoze the valley for a freeway and then endlessly reminisce about what used to be there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: