Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2023, 12:27 PM

4,702 posts, read 2,860,303 times

Advertisements

Well, of course the sensible thing to call it would be "Valley View" since that is the name of the road that went through there and LBJ is overlaid on top of.

"Midtown" is just purely stupid. If "Uptown" is that area between Woodall Rodgers and the southern end of Highland Park, and "Downtown" is that part between Woodall Rodgers and the Trinity River, then clearly "Midtown" can only refer to the traffic lanes of Woodall Rodgers and that deck park. Applying it to a far north Dallas location is just idiotic. "International District" is silly and meaningless but at least it's not quite so palpably stupid. Me, I'm going to keep calling it Valley View and the marketeers can go hang for all I care.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2023, 12:45 PM

6,777 posts, read 10,037,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Well, of course the sensible thing to call it would be "Valley View" since that is the name of the road that went through there and LBJ is overlaid on top of.

"Midtown" is just purely stupid. If "Uptown" is that area between Woodall Rodgers and the southern end of Highland Park, and "Downtown" is that part between Woodall Rodgers and the Trinity River, then clearly "Midtown" can only refer to the traffic lanes of Woodall Rodgers and that deck park. Applying it to a far north Dallas location is just idiotic. "International District" is silly and meaningless but at least it's not quite so palpably stupid. Me, I'm going to keep calling it Valley View and the marketeers can go hang for all I care.
Facts!! Lol

It was also proposed to be officially called “Valley View-Galleria” too but that wasn’t good enough for the city. The special purpose district is still called “Valley View-Galleria” though. Dallasites are gonna refer to it as such IMO. Especially, for an area that has an already highly identifiable name.

Even the opening graphic on their website says “Reimagining Valley View-Galleria”. I think this is gonna end up being sort of like Houston. Where their Uptown District is largely called “The Galleria area” by residents.

Old 03-21-2023, 02:35 PM

686 posts, read 289,655 times
Quote:

So true. Except I think International District is every bit as palpably stupid as Midtown because it is so silly and meaningless.

Last edited by oil capital; 03-21-2023 at 03:03 PM..

Old 03-21-2023, 02:53 PM

And of course ”Uptown Dallas” is just ”Oak Lawn”, renamed by the marketeers because the gay district was located in Oak Lawn and they didn't want to turn away potential tenants (this was, what, 1990 or so?). It's still Oak Lawn to those few actual Dallasites who remain.

Old 03-22-2023, 06:44 AM

2,520 posts, read 2,247,861 times
They tried to rename Oak Lawn? That's a great name! I agree that Valley View is better even though it's not in a Valley nor is there an attractive view.

Old 03-22-2023, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
They tried to rename Oak Lawn? That's a great name! I agree that Valley View is better even though it's not in a Valley nor is there an attractive view.
Valley View shopping center was named after Valley View Lane, which is the road over which LBJ was laid east of Midway. Valley View Lane does cross the Elm Fork of the Trinity out west of Stemmons. I agree, it's really a river bottom, not a valley per se, but you can view it from the Valley View bridge. Old time settlers called stuff what it seemed like where they came from. "River Bottom and Swampland View Lane" wouldn't have sounded quite the same.

There is a town considerably north of Ft. Worth called Valley View, and one might also suppose Valley View Rd. went to Valley View, Tex., but it doesn't seem to aim that way. But on the other hand Greenville Ave. used to be called "the Greenville Road" even though today's alignment takes you to McKinney, not to Greenville. So the destination form of naming might be in play with Valley View Rd. too.

Old 04-12-2023, 12:40 AM

6,777 posts, read 10,037,431 times
More of the same. Another recent fire and now Scott is saying he won’t build any affordable housing. That’s just a way to get back at the city IMO. At this point, I wish he would just sell it to a more capable developer. Clearly, he can’t get it right.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pnHL8T...ature=youtu.be

Old 04-12-2023, 07:24 AM

381 posts, read 374,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
More of the same. Another recent fire and now Scott is saying he won’t build any affordable housing. That’s just a way to get back at the city IMO. At this point, I wish he would just sell it to a more capable developer. Clearly, he can’t get it right.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pnHL8T...ature=youtu.be
That's long been my opinion too. I seem to remember reading a news article when this project was brand new and everyone was excited. It included his background, and I've had the impresssion since then that he personally doesn't have development experience (his is more finance) and that he may be trying to prove something. His family owns a legit big time construction and development company. The whole thing is so perplexing.

Old 04-12-2023, 10:23 AM

516 posts, read 457,824 times
So, I live not too far from Scott Beck. A few years ago on Nextdoor.com, people were complaining about nothing happening at this site. Scott actually started responding to people trying to defend himself and the lack of progress. It was quite amusing.

Old 04-12-2023, 11:21 AM

3,834 posts, read 8,786,013 times
Quote:

I still go to concerts at Starplex so I'm with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: