Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 05:17 PM

10 posts, read 60,211 times

Advertisements

I am a SouthEast Asian with a 3year old relocating from New Jersey. We figured Plano or Coppell will suit our needs..I would really appreciate more insights on both the locations. We need a good school district with a scope for lot of activities for the family.I am looking for a relatively new construction houses between $250000 to $300000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 05:52 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,288,300 times
Plano is more east Asian and Coppell is a mix o everything. either one will suit you fine. Actually some of the Coppell city belongs to a school district called CFBISD. I hear it is pretty good, Although you might want to consider Irving, Specifically Las Collinas and Valley Ranch. they have new town homes popping up for about your amount, they're really nice in my opinion. I live in Las Collinas, which is near Coppell. As for actual houses, they are also present(new) old is here too. Coppell is a bedroom community, not much business just mostly houses. I'm going to guess you are Vietnamese, Macarthur specifically between the Valley Ranch and Las Collinas area they're are a number of Asian Restaurants.
I am Asian, we have had a pretty sudden surge of Viet, Chinese, Thai, Japanese, and Indian Restaurants in the area. Las Collinas or Valley Ranch will also you get you closer to a Vietnamese Store call 'little Saigon Mall' which on Beltline towards south Irving.
As for Schools, I hear Ranchview High School just got accepted(or is fixing to) to the IB program which is supposedly this really good program that really helps your kid go to a good college. you can still go to Ranchview if you're in coppell but you have to live in the right area. The schools are very Diverse, roughly 35% Black, 15% Hispanic, 20% Asian (this includes Indian, and the majority of Asians are going to be Korean, Chinese, Indian, or Vietnamese), and the rest is classified as white, and some of those are middle easterners. If you're Cambodian or Laotian you might be out of luck cause I don't see many here, they are mostly in east Dallas which i hear is dangerous. Thai, Japanese, Filipino, and Bangladeshi are also present(with maybe a small smidgen of Laotian). If I were you i would relocate to somewhere like Carrolton or Richardson.
Coppell is not as diverse but I see it as an extension of Irving.
Plano, is like I said more east Asian. Coppell and Irving are a mix of everything. The Schools in CFBISD are generally better then those in Dallas.
Best of Luck, either one will suit you fine.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:55 PM

6 posts, read 22,097 times
Default coppell

I've lived in Coppell for 20 years and love it. I work for the school system and it is a fabulous district. Large HS, but my son is there and loves it. Much of the Valley Ranch area is very diverse and one side of teh Parkway is Coppell ISD and the other is Irving ISD. I would definitely choose the Coppell ISD. Although I am not Asian, we have a large Asian population (especially Korean) and I think you will be very comfortable here!

Old 11-08-2007, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westiss View Post
I've lived in Coppell for 20 years and love it. I work for the school system and it is a fabulous district. Large HS, but my son is there and loves it. Much of the Valley Ranch area is very diverse and one side of teh Parkway is Coppell ISD and the other is Irving ISD. I would definitely choose the Coppell ISD. Although I am not Asian, we have a large Asian population (especially Korean) and I think you will be very comfortable here!
it is actually CFBISD, and it has some pretty good schools, The high school they would go to is RHS which, Like i've said many times before has sent in an application (and is so confident it already releasing info to us) for the IB program. Coppell ISD is good, but if you really after diversity CFB is more suitable. CFB also has other good high schools:
Two C-FB ISD Schools Named Highest Performing Math and Science High Schools
The Texas Public Policy Foundation released an Executive Summary of Math and Science Best Practices in October 2007. In that policy brief, the foundation named "shining examples of places where students are achieving success in math and science." Two of the 39 "shining" schools are in the Carrollton-Farmers Branch Independent School District. The research named 39 total high schools for math and science accomplishments. Of the 39 schools on the complete list, 28 were honored for high math achievement, 29 were honored for high science achievement and 18 were honored for both math and science achievement.

i got this at their website Carrollton-Farmers Branch ISD
I go to Ranchview, I am Asian. I like it, and like Me and this other guy have mentioned their is a big Korean block.

Last edited by CMDallas; 11-08-2007 at 04:46 PM..

Old 11-08-2007, 04:07 PM

the school you kids would go to in CFBISD:
Ranchview High School, Irving Texas / TX school information (high school)
Bush Middle School, Irving Texas / TX school information (middle school)
I'm not sure about elementary I know they would go to either Riverchase Elementary, Tom Laundry Elementary, Las Collinas Elementary, or Freeman Elementary
You can still live in Coppell and got to a CFBISD school, and if you were to live in Valley Ranch or Las Collinas you would still go to all of these above schools.

Schools in CID:
Coppell High School, Coppell Texas / TX school information (high School)
Depending on where you live in Coppell your school will be different, search Around.
Look in Plano too, which unlike these schools are predominantly Chinese. I am not Korean, I am Chinese if you were wondering.

might as well give you the Irving stuff too, Coppell and Irving basically run hand in hand.
Irving, Texas (TX) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Last edited by CMDallas; 11-08-2007 at 04:48 PM..

Old 11-08-2007, 04:18 PM

1 posts, read 11,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhlalaa View Post
I am a SouthEast Asian with a 3year old relocating from New Jersey. We figured Plano or Coppell will suit our needs..I would really appreciate more insights on both the locations. We need a good school district with a scope for lot of activities for the family.I am looking for a relatively new construction houses between $250000 to $300000.

i would recommend Coppell over Plano as it is not as congested and their school system is unexcelled. it is close to the airport and to downtown Dallas. i would, however, consider where you will be working if that is an issue.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:36 PM

443 posts, read 1,566,572 times
You're not seriously saying coppell schools are better than plano are you? Having lived in neither I can say Coppell scores aren't near as impressive as plano's, as a matter of fact Coppell schools were recently on probation for low test scores. They appealed the matter and overturned their probation, nevertheless, where there's smoke there's fire.

I've known several people who had children who had the misfortune of attending Coppell schools and found them to be very cliqueish and cold, who knows, just haven't heard good things about them and have heard plenty of good things about plano schools. Both have large asian populations.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:01 PM

10 posts, read 60,211 times
Smile Plano VS Coppell

I am really overwhelmed by the responses..Thanks guys..From what I read (esp from the forum)CFBISD looks like a good school district that matches our requirement..Hows the housing market in these areas in terms of resale ,quality and maintenance. Thanks in advance for all the replies..

Old 11-08-2007, 07:40 PM

Ok, well I don't go into Coppell often, but I Live in Las Collinas and Can tell you that there are some town homes popping up in the area, as well as Valley Ranch. These town homes are quite nice, I've taken a look at them. they are three story and they have pool functions available for the whole neighborhood. They're are also houses being built in the area (I can't tell if they're in Valley Ranch or Las Collinas, They are really close to Coppell. I think both the houses and town homes are going for 250k. Actually you're in luck I was driving around and was curious to see if these newly built houses are going to CFBISD, and They are two story and a good family house in my opinion. I checked one of the addresses and it said its approximate market value is about 221k(new). Keep an open mind, they're townhomes and houses popping up all throughout Las Collinas.
In terms of resale, it should be about the same maybe a little less. If you want resale, Valley Ranch or Coppell fits good. Las Collinas has resale, but most are new.

Last edited by CMDallas; 11-08-2007 at 07:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas