Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2011, 08:45 PM

4 posts, read 15,310 times

Advertisements

ok guys here we go.. my wife and I just moved to the DFW area about 6 months back. We are now planning to buy a house preferably before the end of August since that is when our lease is till. (Not that it can't be extended)
here is our criteria:

We are looking to stay below 350K.
A good school district
Decent commute to downtown
Two story home with media room and game room
open to buying a preowned home (built after 2009)
do not prefer rear garages (we really like the J-swing or detached garages)

The main thing that is making this whole process overwhelming is that my wife works in downtown dallas at UTSW on Inwood and I-35E. And it has not been easy to find a place with a decent commute time.
My office is in North Irving and we currently live in N Irving in the Las Colinas area. We really like this area but have come to realize that it is not going to be easy finding anything we like in our price range here.
Checked out Frisco last weekend. Found more options in this price range and satisfied most of the criteria we were looking for except for ofcourse the commute.
We need some help with some ideas on any other areas that would work for us... Are we overlooking any areas?
We did check out Castle hills.. Did not really like the whole mega community feel.. Also heard there are foundation issues there.. not quite sure about that..

Thank you in Advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 08:55 PM

49 posts, read 159,279 times
In my opinion, the price range that you indicate along with the requirements will severely restrict your choices in Coppell and W. Plano. Frisco might be an option but commute will be bad....is Flower Mound an option?

Old 03-23-2011, 09:05 PM

Not really sure if we know much about Flowermound, but we will check it out. Do you know if Flowermound has new homes?

Thanks!!!

Old 03-23-2011, 09:38 PM

473 posts, read 1,199,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donvijo View Post
Not really sure if we know much about Flowermound, but we will check it out. Do you know if Flowermound has new homes?

Thanks!!!
Toll brothers is building new homes in FM. Check with them. There are 2 other builders as well, I don't recollect their names.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:57 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Flower Mound would be good but you'll need to lower your year built to about 2003-05. Coppell is out since all the newer homes are $550 and up. If you want 2009+ you'll probably be limited to Frisco.

I just built a new home in La Villita in Las Colinas, that would be a good option. There is a very good elementary school there.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:09 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
The LaVillita area of Las Colinas is new and is served by great schools. Hard but not impossible in your price range. Also look in zip code 75063 which is served by both Coppell and CFISD schools. Soooo many UTSW people live in this area b/c it is such a great commute. Takes me about 15 minutes.

848 Terraza Irving TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #11324119 - Realtor.com®

2019 Loma Alta Rd Irving TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #11528167 - Realtor.com®

This one has an upstairs media room, and a canal view. It has been reduced from $380K and I know even at the current price the owner is very motivated. It is a bit older but has all new A/C, etc.

215 Edgestone Dr Irving TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #11554285 - Realtor.com®

Old 03-24-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adixyz View Post
Toll brothers is building new homes in FM. Check with them. There are 2 other builders as well, I don't recollect their names.
I looked at Toll Brothers in Flower mound. Does not seem like they have anything under 400K..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Flower Mound would be good but you'll need to lower your year built to about 2003-05. Coppell is out since all the newer homes are $550 and up. If you want 2009+ you'll probably be limited to Frisco.

I just built a new home in La Villita in Las Colinas, that would be a good option. There is a very good elementary school there.
Nice. How much did you end up paying for building one in Las Colinas? who was your builder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
The LaVillita area of Las Colinas is new and is served by great schools. Hard but not impossible in your price range. Also look in zip code 75063 which is served by both Coppell and CFISD schools. Soooo many UTSW people live in this area b/c it is such a great commute. Takes me about 15 minutes.

848 Terraza Irving TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #11324119 - Realtor.com®

2019 Loma Alta Rd Irving TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #11528167 - Realtor.com®

This one has an upstairs media room, and a canal view. It has been reduced from $380K and I know even at the current price the owner is very motivated. It is a bit older but has all new A/C, etc.

215 Edgestone Dr Irving TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #11554285 - Realtor.com®
Thank you for the listings. Actually, we are looking for at least 4 bedrooms. I should have mentioned that earlier.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:00 PM

Any thoughts on Murphy or McKinney?

Old 03-25-2011, 07:08 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,872,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donvijo View Post
Any thoughts on Murphy or McKinney?
For driving to UTSW and North Irving, those cities would be a HORRIBLE commute of 1+ hours each way!!

The big problem is newer homes in that price range just don't exist in those areas. Those areas were developed too long ago to have new homes.

Flower Mound and Lewisville are likely to come closest to what you're looking for.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:15 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,557,881 times
Check out Wellington in Flower Mound. You may find some homes in the 2007-2009 range in Wichita Chase.

Honestly, as long as the house was built in the last 10 years, it really shouldn't matter. Most homes in that price range have been adequately updated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas