Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 11:44 AM

122 posts, read 509,069 times

Advertisements

Interesting to note that Dallas beat out Houston as one of the top 10 dirtiest cities in USA. Having lived in Dallas for several years would have to agree. The number one of the list New Orleans definitely deserves that honor however.

America

Last edited by gokctx; 09-24-2012 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: addendum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 12:40 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,481,176 times
This is what it said...

According to data, the Dallas area may have less of an ozone problem than Houston, but it still leapfrogged over its fellow Texas city and into the Dirtiest 10 this year. Perhaps voters didn’t find enough green space: the cities ranked last for their public parks. Locals here may prefer ballparks instead—these Texans also ranked in the top 10 for being sports-crazed.

We do get ozone warnings so I guess our air quality is bad. And there is a lack of parks downtown. But I wouldnt call it dirty. I also wouldnt consider Miami Dirty but its on the list.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:43 PM

11,896 posts, read 27,011,574 times
I don't see how Detroit didn't make this list...

Old 09-24-2012, 01:33 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,546,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
This is what it said...

According to data, the Dallas area may have less of an ozone problem than Houston, but it still leapfrogged over its fellow Texas city and into the Dirtiest 10 this year. Perhaps voters didn’t find enough green space: the cities ranked last for their public parks. Locals here may prefer ballparks instead—these Texans also ranked in the top 10 for being sports-crazed.

We do get ozone warnings so I guess our air quality is bad. And there is a lack of parks downtown. But I wouldnt call it dirty. I also wouldnt consider Miami Dirty but its on the list.
I agree. Aside from the ozone issue, and that is a biggie, most people who visit me from other parts of the country (and one from Canada!) have remarked on how clean they find Dallas.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:40 PM

812 posts, read 2,189,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
I don't see how Detroit didn't make this list...

Probably because half the city are vacant lots now. Having been there on business numerous times I have to say Detroit is a basket case. I'll take Dallas' "dirty" anytime over anything like Detroit, Cleveland, the south side of Chicago, and anything else in the rust belt. However, they do have the wonderful Winter weather which starts in a few weeks and lasts until about April.

Nothing like living in Minneapolis and having the high for the day being 14 degrees. BELOW ZERO.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:57 PM

20,037 posts, read 18,318,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I agree. Aside from the ozone issue, and that is a biggie, most people who visit me from other parts of the country (and one from Canada!) have remarked on how clean they find Dallas.
I agree with your friends. These sorts of "studies by survey" are really stupid. During a sporting tournament downtown last Spring a guy I met, he was from San Francisco, comment about how beautiful and clean downtown Dallas was. I hear that quite a lot.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:13 PM

16,086 posts, read 41,249,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
This is what it said...

We do get ozone warnings so I guess our air quality is bad. And there is a lack of parks downtown. .
There are three major new parks in Downtown Dallas: Main Street Gardens, Belo Gardens and Klyde Warren Deck Park over Woodall Rodgers opening next month. There will also be an new park between the old Southland Life Building (Sheraton) and Central I/45 and another between Republic Tower and the Majestic in the triangle. Other parks in or near downtown include Ferris Plaza, Dealy Plaza, Courthouse Square/Kennedy Memorial, Thanksgiving Square, Pegasus Plaza, City Hall Plaza, the Convention Center Pioneer Plaza (cattle drive sculptures), Lubben Plaza (next to WFAA) and many other pocket parks and semi-public plazas at Fountain Place and Chase Bank headquarters for instance. And then, there's the Arts District. Right outside downtown is Griggs Park, Exall Park, Deep Ellum Dog Park, Old City Park (very large) and of course Fair Park. Then there's the Trinity River project on the way...

Old 09-24-2012, 07:34 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,405,661 times
Dallas isn't the dirtiest city I've ever seen, but of the cities I've lived in/seen in the U.S., it's second only to New Orleans. Cities in England are dirtier though.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:06 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,484,641 times
This List is GARBAGE......

Old 09-24-2012, 10:00 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,660,442 times
I'm certainly no fan of Dallas and have not spent much time near "downtown", but of the criticisms I might level at the city, "dirty" isn't one of them. I don't know where it would rank, but the bits I've seen seem as clean or cleaner than many other cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas