Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 05:11 PM

669 posts, read 1,612,432 times

Advertisements

Comments? Agree/disagree?

America's Most and Least Favorite Cities: Where Americans Do—and Don't—Want to Work and Live - BusinessWeek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 05:16 PM

269 posts, read 913,751 times
I don't understand what kind of survey they did, did they do two totally different surveys? Some of the cities are in both categories, so which is it, is it most want to or most don't want to?

Old 01-12-2009, 05:41 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,067,546 times
These lists are basically meaningless garbage, with no statistical value.

The only statistics that matter are the US Census numbers on migration between metros and counties. In that kind of measure, DFW is one of the top metros for migration, only beaten by Atlanta and Phoenix.

In other words, if yyou want to find out what cities are popular with migrants, measure the number of people who actually move.

That's how DFW accumulated close to 7 million people and became the 4th largest USA metro... people are willing to move here, and people who are here are more reluctant to leave.

DFW has a net influx of migrants seeking a better life. Los Angeles, by contrast, has many more people moving away than Americans moving in. Americans think it's a hellhole. If you're an impoverished 3rd world immigrant, however, it's probably a step up.

Last edited by aceplace; 01-12-2009 at 06:05 PM..

Old 01-12-2009, 05:59 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,067,546 times
Report: Texas attracts most relocations

From the Dallas Business Journal:

"Texas has taken its place as the No. 1 destination state for residential relocations for the fourth year in a row, according to Allied Van Lines’ 41st Annual Magnet States Report."

Report: Texas attracts most relocations - Dallas Business Journal:

Old 01-12-2009, 06:19 PM

339 posts, read 1,435,974 times
We're sandwiched 9th between Cleveland and Miami? Ooookay. But I see the study was commissioned by a D.C. think tank so that may be why I find these rankings a bit wonky. Though it is interesting that 49% of the respondents found our 'people' the most negative aspect of Dallas. None of the other supposedly worst cities listed that as a negative.

Whether it's the Gray Lady recommending Dallas' art district as internationally compelling or BusinessWeek reporting we're kinda icky, I find these kinds of lists more head scratchers than particularly useful. Though if the survey had presented a ringing endorsement for Dallas as the #1 spot, I have to wonder if the 'Dallas has it all' folks would have thought they got it absolutely right.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhawk36 View Post
I don't understand what kind of survey they did, did they do two totally different surveys? Some of the cities are in both categories, so which is it, is it most want to or most don't want to?
Quite simple actually. Get 500 people to name the city they would most want to work, also the city they would least like to work.
LA/Chi/NYC are a love hate place that most can understand. You either love it or hate.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
Report: Texas attracts most relocations

From the Dallas Business Journal:

"Texas has taken its place as the No. 1 destination state for residential relocations for the fourth year in a row, according to Allied Van Lines’ 41st Annual Magnet States Report."

Report: Texas attracts most relocations - Dallas Business Journal:
Absolutely! 95% of Americans work and don't have a treasure chest of cash in their homes. People need to make a living and NOWHERE else in the country gives you a better chance than TX. Abundant jobs and low cost of living are the reasons why most people who aren't wealthy relocate. It's not the weather or beautiful scenery, it's A job and even more so if you have a family to feed.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacvb1974 View Post
We're sandwiched 9th between Cleveland and Miami? Ooookay. But I see the study was commissioned by a D.C. think tank so that may be why I find these rankings a bit wonky. Though it is interesting that 49% of the respondents found our 'people' the most negative aspect of Dallas. None of the other supposedly worst cities listed that as a negative.

Whether it's the Gray Lady recommending Dallas' art district as internationally compelling or BusinessWeek reporting we're kinda icky, I find these kinds of lists more head scratchers than particularly useful. Though if the survey had presented a ringing endorsement for Dallas as the #1 spot, I have to wonder if the 'Dallas has it all' folks would have thought they got it absolutely right.
I think it was the "Don't Mess with TX" attitude that maybe rubbed some the wrong way. Unlike most states, you don't get that pride that you get in TX. Maybe it was the everything is "Bigger" thing too. Most Metros in the country, you live in small homes and have small cars (some NO car). DFW is the EXACT opposite.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:11 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,865,527 times
I agree with the survey. For most people they want some place with decent climate, great nightlife, lots of culture etc. Most of the texas metros don't offer that compared to LA, NY, SF etc.

The only thing Texas has to offer is low cost of living and plenty of jobs, obviously a direct result of people not wanting to move here. Personally those two attributes are exactly why I want to move to Texas.

If everyone wanted to live in Texas guess what would happen? Real estate boom, overcrowding, and high unemployment.

Quote:
I think it was the "Don't Mess with TX" attitude that maybe rubbed some the wrong way.
It is like that with any large metro area: NY and people from LA have it A LOT.

Quote:
Absolutely! 95% of Americans work and don't have a treasure chest of cash in their homes. People need to make a living and NOWHERE else in the country gives you a better chance than TX. Abundant jobs and low cost of living are the reasons why most people who aren't wealthy relocate. It's not the weather or beautiful scenery, it's A job and even more so if you have a family to feed.
Exactly right. I think the main difference is that people in LA, NY, SF etc have more of a live for the day mentality where as people in TX more of a plan for the future. In SF, NY etc making 60k, paying 2,000/month rent, skyhigh taxes and so on you can't really save for the future, have a paid off home or anything like that. In Texas with a 40-50k salary you could probably pay off your home in 5-10 years if you focused on that.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
I agree with the survey. For most people they want some place with decent climate, great nightlife, lots of culture etc. Most of the texas metros don't offer that compared to LA, NY, SF etc.

The only thing Texas has to offer is low cost of living and plenty of jobs, obviously a direct result of people not wanting to move here. Personally those two attributes are exactly why I want to move to Texas.

If everyone wanted to live in Texas guess what would happen? Real estate boom, overcrowding, and high unemployment.

It is like that with any large metro area: NY and people from LA have it A LOT.
I would have to say, LA and San Diego are full of transients. Not many people if any that I work with or neighbors are actually natives. Unlike, TX esp the larger cities, many are born and raised and have that sense of pride. I don't like people coming from the central valley in CA claiming LA or people from up north (lots of Chi transplants) doing the same.

But yes, people have and always will moves to TX for low cost of living and jobs...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: