Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 08:50 AM

69 posts, read 139,851 times

Advertisements

Good morning!

We are new to the area and wouldn't know what Emergency Hospital to go to in the event of a bad accident, e.g. car crash, broken bones, bicycle fall.

I assume that one can direct the ambulance driver where to go.

We have adequate insurance and live in Southlake.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 09:01 AM

504 posts, read 801,869 times
You can not "direct" the ambulance driver. They are required to take you to the nearest hospital. Correct me if I am wrong......

Old 09-17-2012, 09:05 AM

504 posts, read 801,869 times
However you can "choose" to travel any distance and go to the ER of your liking.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:16 AM

3,822 posts, read 8,756,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMan_72 View Post
You can not "direct" the ambulance driver. They are required to take you to the nearest hospital. Correct me if I am wrong......
You are wrong. ;-) Municipalities have a list of approved hospitals that their EMS units will take patients to. For example, a child trauma will go to Children's but an adult gunshot likely goes to Parkland and a heart attack to a closer hospital.

You also have the ability to request a hospital but it may delay your transport. Additional contact and approvals are required.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:43 AM

11,867 posts, read 26,918,130 times
In Southlake, you will most likely go to Baylor Regional Medical Center at Grapevine.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:17 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,877,205 times
It also depends on the severity if your injury. Maybe stabilize you at a Level II or III hospital then transport you to a Level I Trauma Center. Most times for serious injury you are taken to the nearest Level I Center and maybe by air, Medevac or whatever it is called here.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:35 PM

Thanks for your advice!

It is quite useful given the myriad of options available. If I understood correctly, first go to Baylor and then to whatever is needed depending on the type of injuries sustained.

Hope it's never needed, but I'd rather know now than try to figure out in different circumstances.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:19 PM

3,822 posts, read 8,756,745 times
Why don't you just trust your EMS department to make the appropriate call? If you are driving yourself, then go to Baylor because they will be able to address a broken arm, etc easily. But if it's a critical emergency like a heart attack, you need to be calling 911. Southlake has a well-funded EMS/Fire dept and they are trained to know where to take you.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:50 AM

35 posts, read 102,628 times
Here's what I would recommend:
Cardiac arrest / Strokes - Baylor Grapevine (they have excellent ER doctors with specialty cardiac skills)
Any life threatening critical emergency - Baylor Grapevine (since it is nearest ER for you)
Broken bones and such 'routine' matters - Baylor Grapevine
Pediatric emergency - Baylor Grapevine (age 7+) or Children's (infants through age 6). Expect a crazy wait at Children's
Gunshot wounds or Burns - Parkland

For minor injuries (such as broken bones, etc), the EMS personnel will take you where you want to go. Expect a bill. For major injuries, Ambulance driver might seek additional clearance or over-rule your request.

While waiting for the ambulance to arrive, pack quarters & cash, change of clothes, books/toys if child, cell-phones & cell-phone chargers. I strongly recommend that you request for an adult to ride with the patient inside the ambulance. Do not attempt to follow the ambulance in a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino'61 View Post
Good morning!

We are new to the area and wouldn't know what Emergency Hospital to go to in the event of a bad accident, e.g. car crash, broken bones, bicycle fall.

I assume that one can direct the ambulance driver where to go.

We have adequate insurance and live in Southlake.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:20 AM

Fantastic input, Vitalstatix. I certainly appreciate it.

And yes, MurphyPl1, blindly trusting the EMS department is an option which will be the case if the accident victim is unconscious or unable to function. Otherwise, I'd rather know what my options are and go for the best available care if possible. Our challenge as newcomers to the US is that we are still learning the ropes of the system, not to mention who's who in the Medical community.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas