Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2010, 02:40 PM

28 posts, read 167,445 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if anyone has a "magic number" for the outside temperature at which they make the switch to using their emergency heat rather than the heat pump. I've searched & searched for this online, but it appears this is rather unique to our area given that in cooler climates, most homes have gas and that in warmer climates such as ours, the need to use the heater is usually reduced compared to what we experience here.

I've been told by several people that it would be more efficient to use emergency heat during really cold spells, but I can't get anyone to give me an estimate of how cold a cold spell needs to be before it becomes more efficient to switch over. After a $620 bill to heat an 1800 sq ft home to only 70 degrees or less, I'm trying to find ways to lower our energy bill without freezing to death!

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 03:15 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,545,349 times
Not sure on the answer to that question. However, call your utility company and ask for a smart pay or flat rate plan. Which I have, I pay the same amount every month regardless of what I use and at the end of the year I am usually even or have some $$ left over. I have an all electric home and my bill showed $580.00 last month, but my actual bill is $270.00 per month. I even out around Spring time and again around the fall when the AC/Heating use is little to none.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:45 PM

332 posts, read 1,390,291 times
adpace - do you have a heat-pump with supplemental gas, or is the heat-pump using electric resistance for the emergency heat? If the later, I believe the heat pump will switch over automatically when it is cold enough outside. Natural gas is much cheaper than electricity, so if possible switch over to the supplemental or emergency gas.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:11 PM

28 posts, read 167,445 times
It is all electric - so I suppose the second. I wish we had gas!!! I remember the days in the panhandle - our bill was maybe $150 in the winter for electric & gas vs. our $600 bill now for electric (and winters were much harsher there)! Problem is ours never switched over in the last cold spell and our electric bill was out of this world! We had the same problem at the last house lived in which happened to be a rent house. After complaining to the landlord, he told us to switch to em heat manually at certain temps and it saved us a few hundred a month in those cooler months. Just can't remember at what point we should do that. . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas