Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 10:02 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,419,357 times

Advertisements

I drove by store location today and it is moving along and almost complete on the exterior but cant tell how far along inside it is. Any one heard a grand opening date ? Perhaps the relocation to Tx for the opening will see this and update us. I hear great things about TJ's from relatives living in AZ as well as consumers reports which rates them number 2 for grocerry chains. It looks more like July than June to me as a layman forecaster
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 10:42 AM

219 posts, read 609,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I drove by store location today and it is moving along and almost complete on the exterior but cant tell how far along inside it is. Any one heard a grand opening date ? Perhaps the relocation to Tx for the opening will see this and update us. I hear great things about TJ's from relatives living in AZ as well as consumers reports which rates them number 2 for grocerry chains. It looks more like July than June to me as a layman forecaster
Last I read it was June 2012.

We used to go twice a month in LA. Trader Joe's frozen foods are very good and they're good for kitchen essentials like olive oil, ketchup, chips, etc. They also undercut Whole Foods by 40-50% on harder to find stuff like almond butter, dates, etc. You could probably get 95% of all your groceries at TJs, I think. I think the only main differences between TJ's and any other chain is that TJ's doesn't have a deli section or a prepared foods section, and instead of having 12 different brands of the same thing, you might only have 2-3. I expect it will be a smash hit in Plano.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:15 AM

11 posts, read 17,957 times
This may be a difference in locations but in NOVA (northern virginia - D.C. suburb) our Trader Joe's were pretty small. They had a great frozen (pre-prepared foods) section and a pretty big wine selection but for everything else it was slim pickings. You pretty much had to know what they had to begin with or you would find yourself out a few ingredients and end up going elsewhere anyways.

I'm not knocking it completely - if you needed to run in and get eggs or milk or even a package of meat you could do it quickly without having to wait in lines. I always viewed it more as a some sort of gourmet version of a convience store.

Again - this is the perspective of someone who could never figure out why people seem to be so enamored with TJs. It does have a pretty big fan base so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmw2133 View Post
Last I read it was June 2012.

We used to go twice a month in LA. Trader Joe's frozen foods are very good and they're good for kitchen essentials like olive oil, ketchup, chips, etc. They also undercut Whole Foods by 40-50% on harder to find stuff like almond butter, dates, etc. You could probably get 95% of all your groceries at TJs, I think. I think the only main differences between TJ's and any other chain is that TJ's doesn't have a deli section or a prepared foods section, and instead of having 12 different brands of the same thing, you might only have 2-3. I expect it will be a smash hit in Plano.
I am excited about it coming to Plano, its about half a mile from my house. We like good prepared frozen dinners, we primarily shop Costco now. The consumer reports article was consistent about TJ's with your view and we cant wait until it opens. On a nice weather day my wife can re route her walk for our small dogs to pick up something perhaps if they will let a small dog or three lol in the doors. Who says Plano isnt walkable lol

Old 05-31-2012, 11:22 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,035,419 times
Quote:
You'll probably love them. All of us here do. Great for packaged goods, etc. Fabulous prices. Their produce leaves much to be desired, though (at least to me, anyway - I can be a bit of a veggie snob, though, since it's pretty much all I eat - so take my opinion for what it is). Here at least, TJ's has a tiny produce section, and nearly all of it is on styrofoam boards, then shrink wrapped. Ick.

I personally get most of my packaged items at TJ's, specialty items that TJ's doesn't have I get at Whole Foods or Wegman's, and my produce mainly from a local farm. I do all of these as I'm en route for another task (like driving home from work, visiting a friend for dinner, etc), so I don't feel I'm driving too much.

In any case, my point is, each are great at something. I love, love TJ's, but don't be put off by their produce section. They have a lot of other wonderful things to offer at great prices!

Old 05-31-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
You'll probably love them. All of us here do. Great for packaged goods, etc. Fabulous prices. Their produce leaves much to be desired, though (at least to me, anyway - I can be a bit of a veggie snob, though, since it's pretty much all I eat - so take my opinion for what it is). Here at least, TJ's has a tiny produce section, and nearly all of it is on styrofoam boards, then shrink wrapped. Ick.

I personally get most of my packaged items at TJ's, specialty items that TJ's doesn't have I get at Whole Foods or Wegman's, and my produce mainly from a local farm. I do all of these as I'm en route for another task (like driving home from work, visiting a friend for dinner, etc), so I don't feel I'm driving too much.

In any case, my point is, each are great at something. I love, love TJ's, but don't be put off by their produce section. They have a lot of other wonderful things to offer at great prices!

Thanks for the report, got me even more exited to see them arrive. They took over space that use to be a large Kroger store but it was cut into 4 store fronts with TJ's the largest so we knew it was going to be limited in selections and some items. We have a Fresh Market right across the road from them while has nice fresh veggies along with Costco about two mies away with produce that fits out needs fine.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:39 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,561,991 times
I cant wait! Between Sprouts and TJ's I'm hoping to get all my shopping done cheaply!

Old 05-31-2012, 04:56 PM

7 posts, read 6,099 times
I might as well move to Plano now. From Whole Foods, Trader's Joe, Market Street to Central Market, they have all my favorite stores.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:45 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,173,739 times
Quote:
We have a Fresh Market right across the road from them while has nice fresh veggies along with Costco about two mies away with produce that fits out needs fine.
You don't mean this Fresh Market, do you? The Fresh Market - Experience the Food!
I liked them in South Florida -- sort of a smaller Central Market. But their web site is not showing any Texas locations.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
You don't mean this Fresh Market, do you? The Fresh Market - Experience the Food!
I liked them in South Florida -- sort of a smaller Central Market. But their web site is not showing any Texas locations.
I meant the Whole Foods market, its an alternative to central market but not one my family raves about but it is a large store less than a mile from my home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas