Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 12:55 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,415,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
I will likely avoid TJ's for the first month or so it's here. It's been so hyped that you just know it'll draw giant foodie crowds (kinda like how the In-N-Out were packed initially).

One of the things TJ's has that people haven't mentioned is a good "specialty cheese" selection. They have bries and Port Salut at very reasonable prices (they also have Parmigiano-Reggiano, but I prefer to get that in giant wedges from Costco). They also have some pretty good baguettes there, and cheap table water crackers.

Agree that the packaged stuff is quite good and very interesting (and reasonably priced, TJ's is a subsidiary of Aldi's), the produce, notsomuch, milk/eggs/meats are fine but nothing outstanding IMHO. If they have frozen seafood at prices similar to Chicago I'll be very excited (scallops are ludicrously expensive here in DFW).

Bottom line - it's a great store to have as PART of your grocery shopping itinerary, but is not a one-stop destination.
This matches my understanding of the role they fill. Consumer Reports rated them as the number 2 national grocery store with Costco at around number 5. So between these two and periodic trips for things not found at either, we should be happy with the options and I understand their pricing is good too as in the wine and beer mentioned above.

My only trip to TJ's was when I got my third puppy from a Scottsdale breeder. The last one, a very small russian bichon known as a bolonka was under 2 pounds as a puppy when the breeder had me come get her. Sasha as we call her, would only eat TJ's house brand chicken dog food, so I made my one and only trip to get a number of cans to take back with me to Tx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 01:36 PM

718 posts, read 1,390,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
Will Trader Joe's take away customers from Whole Foods, especially if they are located right across the street from each other?
Yes and no. Like somebody else already said , TJ cheese selection is great and cheaper than WF, WF has been a hit and miss in recent years, but they are making some efforts. In the dry food department , it will show some losses for WF, TJ has a great selection of mix rice beans and basic staples like olive oil, Verona chocolates at half price . Same things for their frozen foods, TJ has products that I have not seen in any stores, especially their French pastries and seafood are excellent and cheap.
Where WF is really lacking in the last few months is their bakery . They have lost their bakery in Dallas and since they are looking for a new one without success. All their breads right now are crappy and low quality , everything is done in Houston and send frozen to the stores in the metroplex.
I stopped buying bread there a while ago , Central Market is the only good place left for bread right now . I had bread from TJ that was much better than what WF is offering right now , they need to act fast.
The big attraction also for TJ is their large selection of soaps, shampoo and other natural beauty products far cheaper than WF.
For things like produce , meats and fresh seafood, WF has better products and won't loose much customers.
Both stores will do well.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:27 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,034,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
I will likely avoid TJ's for the first month or so it's here. It's been so hyped that you just know it'll draw giant foodie crowds (kinda like how the In-N-Out were packed initially).

One of the things TJ's has that people haven't mentioned is a good "specialty cheese" selection. They have bries and Port Salut at very reasonable prices (they also have Parmigiano-Reggiano, but I prefer to get that in giant wedges from Costco). They also have some pretty good baguettes there, and cheap table water crackers.

Agree that the packaged stuff is quite good and very interesting (and reasonably priced, TJ's is a subsidiary of Aldi's), the produce, notsomuch, milk/eggs/meats are fine but nothing outstanding IMHO. If they have frozen seafood at prices similar to Chicago I'll be very excited (scallops are ludicrously expensive here in DFW).

Bottom line - it's a great store to have as PART of your grocery shopping itinerary, but is not a one-stop destination.
About the cheese, that's very true. We got a honey goat cheese today for double the size of what you'd find at Giant at nearly half the price ($3.29 at TJ -- vs. $5.99 at Giant -- for double the cheese!).

Old 07-22-2012, 02:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,764 times
September 7 2012 is the opening in plano

Old 07-24-2012, 02:29 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,560,569 times
Cilantro Salad Dressing=Amazing

Old 07-25-2012, 02:23 PM

127 posts, read 259,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagHy View Post
September 7 2012 is the opening in plano
Thanks, thats what I was coming back here to check up on.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:47 AM

1,780 posts, read 4,028,127 times
Well, it's this week! Anyone planning to visit and write a report?

Old 09-03-2012, 11:39 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,864,410 times
Quote:
I was planning to be there Friday, but school meetings and a doctor's appointment will keep me from there. I do not want to fight the crowds over the weekend, so it will be next week before I can get there.

Will report back though.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:53 AM

718 posts, read 1,390,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
I was planning to be there Friday, but school meetings and a doctor's appointment will keep me from there. I do not want to fight the crowds over the weekend, so it will be next week before I can get there.

Will report back though.
Same for me , I will be there next Monday , I will avoid the crowds over the weekends , but I cannot wait , I bought some great bottles of wine for less than $8 back in July in Chicago.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:19 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:

Not me, I'll wait for the hubub to die down. Maybe I'll make it there by 2013.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas