Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2013, 10:49 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,645,895 times

Advertisements

Many of you probably read this a few days ago, but since I didn't see it posted: Trader Joe’s to build store at Southlake Town Square | Northeast Tarrant | News f...

[quote]Trader Joe’s said Wednesday it has signed a lease for a grocery store in Southlake Town Center that will open in 2014, its second Tarrant County store.

The 13,500-square-foot, two-story store will be built at the northwest corner of Southlake Boulevard and Central Avenue. Moderator cut: copyright violation More news at the link, obviously. What's ironic is I was just talking about this Friday, unaware of the news. Color me wildly excited!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-08-2013 at 03:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 05:57 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
the shopping part will be on 2nd floor with 70 parking spaces on that level--
going to be VERY crowded if the FTW store is any indication of how people feel about Trader Joe's...

Old 09-08-2013, 06:11 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,170,832 times
I've only been to the Dallas store that recently opened a couple of times and while there were a good number of people there, neither time was it overwhelming or a zoo. Like with In N Out, once the novelty wears off and more outlets open in the area, each one will become less of an insane shopping experience. So Southlake may not be as bad as Fort Worth when it first opened.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:08 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,571,613 times
Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease. I'd love to have one closer to us.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:33 PM

990 posts, read 2,303,066 times
I still don't understand why Trader Joes continues to be viewed as an upscale store in the metroplex. I'm basing that view on where they open. The prices there are very reasonable compared to even places like Tom Thumb or Kroger. More like Aldi without the minimalist quirks and more of a refrigerated and frozen section vs Aldi and its large amount of boxed foods.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:57 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,571,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
I still don't understand why Trader Joes continues to be viewed as an upscale store in the metroplex. I'm basing that view on where they open. The prices there are very reasonable compared to even places like Tom Thumb or Kroger. More like Aldi without the minimalist quirks and more of a refrigerated and frozen section vs Aldi and its large amount of boxed foods.
Is TJ's considered an upscale store? In California we just think of it as a place to get more unique and healthful types of foods. But they do tend to be located in good neighborhoods. I wonder if that isn't more for safety and the residents' willingness to spend, though, rather than being upscale.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:01 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
That is the point--great quality at reasonable prices---plus it is trendy--
when has Kroger ever been trendy...
The Trader Joe's in FTW started out very crowded--news stories about how people were parking illegally to shop there even after the new wore off...
think the Southlake store will be quite the thing--and will likely take some custom from Market Street...
We drive past Trader Joe's in Sarasota FL when we are at our vacation house and the parking lot is usually very full in or out of season...
Have never been in one so can't speak from personal opinion--
but in Southlake think it will be very successful...

Old 09-09-2013, 10:12 PM

718 posts, read 1,389,341 times
Quote:
It is considered upscale for its very unusual selections , their large European and natural style food ,( the frozen section is very similar to an European store ) not their price . People buying on a regular basis at TJ are usually middle and upper class , very similar to Whole Food and Central Market . They are also very free trade and anti GMO , that alone attract a certain more intellect population. They did some studies and did pick their first stores in Texas as The Woodlands and Plano for those reasons.
They can offer lower price since they do not have main brands , and they do not care about the look of the store , it has become part of the legend .

Old 09-10-2013, 01:18 PM

990 posts, read 2,303,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheotherMarie View Post
Is TJ's considered an upscale store? In California we just think of it as a place to get more unique and healthful types of foods. But they do tend to be located in good neighborhoods. I wonder if that isn't more for safety and the residents' willingness to spend, though, rather than being upscale.
As it has opened in Texas, it seems to have that kind of cache. Definitely located in more upscale areas, and has been mentioned with Whole Foods and Central Market here, which both are certainly expensive as far as groceries go. We are frequent WF and CM shoppers for certain things and the prices were a great surprise. More like Aldi than anything else. I dunno if it caters to certain intellects, but its certainly cheap enough for anyone to shop there.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:40 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,645,895 times
Quote:
As it has opened in Texas, it seems to have that kind of cache. Definitely located in more upscale areas, and has been mentioned with Whole Foods and Central Market here, which both are certainly expensive as far as groceries go. We are frequent WF and CM shoppers for certain things and the prices were a great surprise. More like Aldi than anything else. I dunno if it caters to certain intellects, but its certainly cheap enough for anyone to shop there.
There are many TJ stores in Chicago (15+?), and in general the locations have been in similar areas to here. They began opening there a little over a decade ago, IIRC, with little fanfare but rapidly became popular by word of mouth.

Having a TJ's just a block or so from CM will be very nice. There's also a Sprouts about two miles to the west (at Davis/Randol Mill and Southlake), and for regular chains there's a Tom Thumb about a mile west (White Chapel & Southlake) and a Kroger about a mile east.

Now, if only there was a decent Asian grocery anywhere nearby...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas