Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 11:37 AM

380 posts, read 1,230,138 times

Advertisements

I live in Mesquite and im paying $88 a month for Time warner package that has over 200 channles and my internet speed is 10.0 MPBS I tried to get them to lower my bill and they said nobody beat this deal and it is the cheapest deal around. I told him to lower because they have in the past but it then spiked back up. so my question to you guys are what providers do you have and do you like them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 11:40 AM

350 posts, read 867,994 times
You're not going to find anything cheaper than 88 dollars a month for high speed internet and cable.

I have Uverse with the 200 channel package and (allegedly) 18 mbps internet. I pay 150 a month.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:46 AM

812 posts, read 2,184,630 times
"What Internet/Cable providers do you have in Dallas?"

Bad ones?

Here in Sherman we have Cable One. For $75 a month we get high speed Internet (consistently 22-40 meg per speedtest.net), home phone with no charge unlimited long distance, and about 150 basic channels HiDef DVR. However I don't think they service in DFW.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 02-13-2012 at 12:38 PM.. Reason: edited font - please do not use all caps in your posts

Old 02-13-2012, 11:56 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,534,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT3x View Post
You're not going to find anything cheaper than 88 dollars a month for high speed internet and cable.

I have Uverse with the 200 channel package and (allegedly) 18 mbps internet. I pay 150 a month.

That's true- I have Verison Fios internet and cable only and I pay $150.00. I am under contract and can't wait to get out of it. I think I will be going with TWC.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:57 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,534,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerschris View Post
I live in Mesquite and im paying $88 a month for Time warner package that has over 200 channles and my internet speed is 10.0 MPBS I tried to get them to lower my bill and they said nobody beat this deal and it is the cheapest deal around. I told him to lower because they have in the past but it then spiked back up. so my question to you guys are what providers do you have and do you like them?

Do you have any extra's on you bill like DVR? TWC doesn't offer boxes for each TV does it?

Old 02-13-2012, 01:12 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,548,431 times
We pay well over $100/month in SC with Charter for high-speed internet and (downgraded) TV package. Robbery! Can't wait to get out there!

Old 02-13-2012, 01:45 PM

663 posts, read 1,725,203 times
I have TWC for internet only. It runs $30/mo for 10MBPS service. Seems like if you were really wanting to keep pay TV you could unbundle and get a cheap Dish or DirecTV package for cheaper than what you're paying now for bundled internet and TV. I don't know how many channels you'd gain or lose though with the cheap satellite packages.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:52 PM

393 posts, read 1,115,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal2814 View Post
I have TWC for internet only. It runs $30/mo for 10MBPS service. Seems like if you were really wanting to keep pay TV you could unbundle and get a cheap Dish or DirecTV package for cheaper than what you're paying now for bundled internet and TV. I don't know how many channels you'd gain or lose though with the cheap satellite packages.
I was using the 1 Mbps service from, I think, Verizon, for about $20/month, until a TW D2D rep offered me 10 Mbps service for $26/month, limited 1-year contract. I decided to splurge. At the end of the year, I'm sure my price will spike. I'm also sure I'll cut Internet access completely if they don't offer me something under $30/month.

Americans have much more money than sense. In this particular case, we ought to demand data plans that are price competitive to the rest of the world, instead of just forking over more money for essentially the same service.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:04 PM

871 posts, read 2,690,698 times
The problem with cable/internet is that besides satellite, your choices are limited to where you live. We purposely moved into a FIOS area when moving to DFW to get FIOS internet (but still use DirecTV). We have the option of sat, FIOS or TW cable.

Other places in the metro have the option of sat, u-verse, or cable. Finally, some places only have sat or cable as an option, and for internet, just cable or DSL. And of course some places don't have sat as a TV option either (no line of sight, apt complex without exclusive space for you to put your dish, etc).

Limited options = less your available carriers will do to keep you

I'm not going to knock anyone for living in a place where their options are limited, but when you do move (And this forum has as one of its focuses moving), it's worth considering TV and internet options when trying to decide between City A and City B if prices and options for such services matter to you. We wouldn't be in Wylie (moved there in 2009 from out of state) now but for them having FIOS.

If FTTH (Fiber-To-The-Home) internet was not available anywhere in the DFW metro (And no plans), my guess is we'd be in Allen or McKinney closer to US 75 (Since these cities also had homes in our price range that gave us that kind of square footage and also a media/HT room, and being closer to US 75 would have been nicer for commuting purposes), but it's hard to say since FIOS was the #1 priority in terms of narrowing down cities for us.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:12 PM

393 posts, read 1,115,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post
The problem with cable/internet is that besides satellite, your choices are limited to where you live. We purposely moved into a FIOS area when moving to DFW to get FIOS internet (but still use DirecTV). We have the option of sat, FIOS or TW cable.

Other places in the metro have the option of sat, u-verse, or cable. Finally, some places only have sat or cable as an option, and for internet, just cable or DSL. And of course some places don't have sat as a TV option either (no line of sight, apt complex without exclusive space for you to put your dish, etc).

Limited options = less your available carriers will do to keep you

I'm not going to knock anyone for living in a place where their options are limited, but when you do move (And this forum has as one of its focuses moving), it's worth considering TV and internet options when trying to decide between City A and City B if prices and options for such services matter to you. We wouldn't be in Wylie (moved there in 2009 from out of state) now but for them having FIOS.

If FTTH (Fiber-To-The-Home) internet was not available anywhere in the DFW metro (And no plans), my guess is we'd be in Allen or McKinney closer to US 75 (Since these cities also had homes in our price range that gave us that kind of square footage and also a media/HT room, and being closer to US 75 would have been nicer for commuting purposes), but it's hard to say since FIOS was the #1 priority in terms of narrowing down cities for us.
About a decade ago, I envied my co-worker who had FTTH. I wanted to move somewhere just to get that. But, it turns out that I don't need that much bandwidth. Verizon actually has fiber run down the ally behind my house, but I'm using TW cable because of the price. I was using DSL, though I'm right at the edge of the range. So, I pretty much have all the access options available to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas