Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 05:46 PM

751 posts, read 1,178,025 times

Advertisements

Can anybody give me the list of the top 5 most affluent suburbs in Dallas? I am considering a move to Dallas and it would be nice to live in a nice suburb, but I am not really into "nouveau rich" attitudes and BS. Like here in Minneapolis, we have a couple nice "old money" suburbs where life is good, ppl are well off but they dont need to show it off..thats the kind of place I am looking for. Thanks!

P.S: School district is not important because I dont have any kids and dont plan on having any!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 06:17 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,152,085 times
They are all pretty much nouveau riche - to find old money you have to look at the Park Cities (part patrician, part overprivileged, part parvenu) or the Dallas neighborhoods of Preston Hollow and Lakewood.

Last edited by Lakewooder; 08-06-2007 at 07:30 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 08-06-2007, 07:01 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,974,480 times
This link will give you a general idea, as average home prices are listed for each suburb.

http://www.dmagazine.com/Media/Media...rbschart06.pdf

Old 08-06-2007, 10:38 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,238,506 times
In no particular order

Park Cities - old money high class place, home to many top business leaders and a few retired celebs. Being surrounded by Dallas its probably the most urban or all.

Plano - upper middle class suburb, pretty much built out. plano is known for its good schools and is most popular with families.

Frisco- similar to Plano, though in the midst of its boom. Lots of shopping, lots of construction. Tends to be young families, with young kids.

Heath- Kinda out of the way, the most rural of all. There are some HUGE homes out there. It's on Lake Ray Hubbard so if you are into fishing or boating you might like it.

Southlake (arguable that its a Dallas 'burb)

Old 08-06-2007, 10:48 PM

654 posts, read 1,909,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
This link will give you a general idea, as average home prices are listed for each suburb.

http://www.dmagazine.com/Media/Media...rbschart06.pdf
What an interesting link you gave. Rep given.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:37 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,594,433 times
What do you consider new money living? That will help steer you toward the right areas. Many of the more affulent suburbs consist of people showing off or living well above their means to present themselves as something they aren't.

While Highland Park and University Park are both absolutely gorgeous and definitely has the bulk of old money in DFW, in my opinion, the lots are too small, the houses too close. I know some people that live in the Lakewood area, near to White Rock Lake, that have money and you wouldn't necessarily know it. Very down-to-earth. They walk the neighborhood, have great relationships with their neighbors and are generous to many worthy causes - without bragging about it or even letting people know (I know cause we're good friends and they donate to some causes that are near to by heart). They don't get brand new cars all the time. They don't have a flashy house. Those things, IMO, are what I consider "down-to-earth-affluent".

My experience has shown me that there are a good concentration of this sort of person in the Lakewood area.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:27 AM

1,518 posts, read 5,268,779 times
The outer lying suburbs are not what I consider anything close to affluent. If you have a Wal-Mart next door, it's not affluent. It may be nice and clean, but it's not rich. There's no reason to chose a suburb in my opinion. Simply because many neighborhoods have come together in one municipality does not make it a good decision. Instead, I'd look at individual neighborhoods inside of bigger cities.

The most affluent neighborhood in DFW is Preston Hollow. It is not a suburb. It is just a part of the northern part of the City of Dallas. Homes range from $4 million plus. Additionally, Bluffview is another fine area. Homes are in the same range. These are truly palatial mansions. This is an old money area.

Highland Park and University Park are next. The homes range from $700k (for a "teardown") to tens of millions (for a true mansion). These are individual, independent cities located a couple miles from downtown Dallas. Literally anything you want is within 5-10 minutes. This is also an old-money area.

North Dallas in general is an affluent area. This is generally north of NW hwy in between Inwood and Hillcrest, south of 635. Homes can range from 500k to the tens of millions.

Lakewood is also an affluent area. It has many older homes with character, as well as incredible mansions out on White Rock Lake. Homes start around 500k. Of all the affluent neighborhoods, Lakewood is certainly the most down to earth. Lakewood has a substantial old-money area.

Turtle Creek/Uptown/Victory are also very affluent areas of town. They are urban areas, so the housing stock is highrise, midrise, and townhome. A small one bedroom in a new building can go for 400k.

Plano and Frisco are fine. But they are the epitome of noveou riche. 500k is considered a lot of money there. But that same amount of money would barely get you into the truly affluent areas of town. People in the northern suburbs of Plano and Frisco think they are rich and they will tell you so. Even if they live in a 200,000 house and maxed out their credit cards at Wal-Mart. But the neighborhoods I listed above, the people are incredibly wealthy. But you'll never hear them tell you so. Instead, they'll simply show you.

Last edited by hamiltonpl; 08-07-2007 at 10:40 AM..

Old 08-07-2007, 11:56 AM

709 posts, read 3,472,921 times
Hamiliton Place... the statement you made about the Plano- Frisco people is uncalled for in my opinion. You can't tell me that the people in Preston Hollow, Highland Park etc... have any less credit issues. I also think it is unfair of you to state that the people in one area talk about their riches more than another.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:02 PM

1,101 posts, read 4,328,578 times
Oh, there are plenty of people in the "affluent" neighborhoods that hamiltonpl mentioned that don't have credit issues - Daddy set them up real good . It always cracks me up to hear these trust fund babies talk about the nouveau riche like it is a bad thing to actually earn your money.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:02 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,268,779 times
In the thirty years that I've lived here, that's been my experience -- and the experience of many others who live south of 635.

It is my opinion. So there is nothing unfair about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas