Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 01:30 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times

Advertisements

They don't laugh at people who actually earn a living - they hold that in the highest esteem. It's how they handle the money that provokes disapproval and derision. The old money people have earned that distinction by decades and decades of learning and experience of how not to lose money as much as how to make money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 01:46 PM

1,101 posts, read 4,329,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
They don't laugh at people who actually earn a living - they hold that in the highest esteem.
By painting everyone in the suburbs with the same broad brush (as has often been the case by you and some others in this forum), you invalidate your statement.

It is true that there are many in Plano, Frisco, etc. who live beyond their means, there are also many hard working, successful people who like to enjoy the fruits of their labor. Most of them are modest about who they are and what they do - it's just the few that feel the need to "front" that give a bad name to everyone else.

The constant belittling of people who make different choices of how to spend their time and money, where to live, or that enjoy a different lifestyle than you do, only serve to make us wonder what you're so insecure about that you feel the need to denigrate others.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:47 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Say what? The old money people would just as quickly look askance on a neighbor or relative doing the same showboating and spendthrifting...

Old 08-07-2007, 02:54 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,269,990 times
Triumph,
You are the only one who claims that those who earn their money are looked down upon. Additionally, no one else has disputed that there are successful hardworking people in Plano, Frisco, et al.

The OP asked what the most affluent suburbs were. Lakewooder and I gave our input. In response, you have personally attacked us. That is unbecoming and unpersuasive. It is an undisputed fact that the average home prices and price per square foot in Lakewood, Highland Park, Preston Hollow, and North Dallas are higher than those of Plano, Frisco, Anna, Prosper, and Celina. It is also undisputed that it takes more income to buy an 11 million dollar house, than it take to buy a $200,000 one.

Those who earn their money are looked upon with much more respect than those who are mere trust fund babies. There are many self-made millionaires and billionaires in the City of Dallas.

The connotation of the term "old-money" describes how someone acts in regard to their wealth -- as opposed to the actual age of their dollar bills. Those who show off, have gilded blackberries, gold packages on their Lexus, and talk about how much money they make are deemed noveou riche. Those who remain humble are called old-money.

It is unsurprising that those from the suburbs would be threatened by their municipality not being regarded as "affluent." That term is completely based on perspective. From my perspective, the more your house costs is indicative of the amount of your wealth.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:15 PM

197 posts, read 1,138,565 times
Thumbs up Yup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
Triumph,
You are the only one who claims that those who earn their money are looked down upon. Additionally, no one else has disputed that there are successful hardworking people in Plano, Frisco, et al.

The OP asked what the most affluent suburbs were. Lakewooder and I gave our input. In response, you have personally attacked us. That is unbecoming and unpersuasive. It is an undisputed fact that the average home prices and price per square foot in Lakewood, Highland Park, Preston Hollow, and North Dallas are higher than those of Plano, Frisco, Anna, Prosper, and Celina. It is also undisputed that it takes more income to buy an 11 million dollar house, than it take to buy a $200,000 one.

Those who earn their money are looked upon with much more respect than those who are mere trust fund babies. There are many self-made millionaires and billionaires in the City of Dallas.

The connotation of the term "old-money" describes how someone acts in regard to their wealth -- as opposed to the actual age of their dollar bills. Those who show off, have gilded blackberries, gold packages on their Lexus, and talk about how much money they make are deemed noveou riche. Those who remain humble are called old-money.

It is unsurprising that those from the suburbs would be threatened by their municipality not being regarded as "affluent." That term is completely based on perspective. From my perspective, the more your house costs is indicative of the amount of your wealth.
X2

HPL's previous list of locales south of LBJ was precise, proper and spot on. To argue that Plano or Frisco would meet the OP's request is specious, at best.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Triumph,
Sorry - that won't wash. You and Lakewooder have constantly insulted anyone who lives outside your little bubble.

Quote:
And yet, you couldn't give your opinions without being snide and insulting - no surprise. Also unbecoming and unpersuasive.

I never disputed your claim that home prices were higher in North Dallas - even though they are not technically suburbs. Of course, there are homes in Plano and the other outlying suburbs with multi-million dollar values as well - just not as many as in Dallas. To imply that $500k is the top end for the suburbs is disingenuous at best. To make a blanket statement that "People in the northern suburbs of Plano and Frisco think they are rich and they will tell you so." is hyperbole and insulting to the many who don't behave that way.

Quote:

Perhaps, but that behavior is not confined to the suburbs, although you would have everyone believe that to be the case.

Quote:
Don't flatter yourself - I couldn't care less about your regard. The original poster inquired about the most affluent suburbs - and unless they are looking to buy a multi-million dollar mansion there are many suburban and urban areas that would be considered affluent.

Last edited by TriumphOfTheSprint; 08-07-2007 at 04:32 PM..

Old 08-07-2007, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBilly View Post
X2

HPL's previous list of locales south of LBJ was precise, proper and spot on. To argue that Plano or Frisco would meet the OP's request is specious, at best.
Never argued that - and never said that Plano or Frisco would meet the OP's request. I merely commented on attitudes - perhaps you should read my post more carefully.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:27 PM

1,560 posts, read 7,146,916 times
Quote:
Those who show off, have gilded blackberries, gold packages on their Lexus, and talk about how much money they make are deemed noveou riche. Those who remain humble are called old-money.

Isn't there a bit of a contradiction in your logic in that those who show off with their phones or cars are nouveau riche, where as those that show off with their homes are affluent. And how is showing off with a building remaining humble?

Old 08-07-2007, 03:32 PM

Triumph gets away with more personal attacks. Moderator cut: comment removed
My comments were neither snide nor insulting. They were simply correct.

I've never said that 500k was the top end for the suburbs. I said it was a lot of money for the suburbs. People from Plano will tell you that they are rich. Somehow you infer that I meant all people. However, if you look closely, the word ALL does not appear in my post. The suburbs certainly do not have the monopoly on nouveou riche attitudes, but they are more prevalent in those suburbs. I know because I live here and deal with them everyday. How long have you lived in Dallas, Triumph?

Last edited by GoPadge; 08-07-2007 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: See your PM.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPadge View Post
Isn't there a bit of a contradiction in your logic in that those who show off with their phones or cars are nouveau riche, where as those that show off with their homes are affluent. And how is showing off with a building remaining humble?
No. Not at all. Those who have a very expensive house are more affluent.

Remaining humble is an attitude. Not a building or a car.

Those who get the loudest and tackiest new cars, gadgets, and show them off are nouveou riche. Ever watch "The Jerk" with Steve Martin? It's the show off attitude I'm talking about. And it's pretty clear from my earlier posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas