Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 12:47 PM

1,560 posts, read 7,149,698 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all of your comments. I have never regretted having been in the military. It taught me a lot about discipline, commitment, honor, my country and even myself. It was a rewarding experience that, job and travel-wise, cannot be be experienced in any other way. These days, I've been out for almost a decade, but still some of my closest friends are those that I worked with "Haze gray and underway."

I also grew up unknowingly poor; we always rented and never had much when I was young. It didn't bother me, I was always a likable guy, and made friends easily enough. By high school we were living the lower middle class lifestyle, but I had friends on both sides of the economic divide. My friend's parents were doctors, lawyers, ministers, college professors, construction workers, sales reps and administrative assistants. I still don't judge a person based on what they do, only on how they live their life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 01:44 PM

670 posts, read 3,000,673 times
Default GoPadge...

I'm catching up and that's terrible, but true. I still am amazed where we live currently (Fort Benning is right by us) that people treat the soldiers in a current war like crap. Now I am not going to debate the war, but the mere fact that these soldiers are serving their country warrants some respect--sadly it's not the norm. My grandfathers (and my grandma was heavily involved), dad, and a multitude of relatives including my husband have all served their country (my family Navy but my husband's Army) and *I* am proud and grateful for that. It's sad that a lot of people look at that as a lowly position. It's actualy more than sad, it's pathetic.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:16 PM

15 posts, read 104,079 times
Preston Hollow would be a good start, Hey Wade Phillips bought there. I know his builder. Custom Jobbers starting at 1.2m upto 6m+ I am currently working with a group developing a 5 story home in uptown complete with elevator and viewing terrace for 1.9m. Neighbor is Phil Silva in a slightly smaller home under construction for 2.2m. This particular home is right off of Boll Street near State/Thomas. Just a lot right now. walking distance to the better restaurtants in Dallas.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,991 times
Smile Dallas is Fine

I was raised in the Dallas area then moved away for a few years and came back. We're in Plano now. It's my belief that no matter in which area of D/FW you choose to live, you'll find mostly good, hard working, decent folks. Some have more money than others, some are flashier than others and some are friendlier than others. On the whole though, I really think that except for a few "bad" areas (South Oak Cliff and Arlington come to mind), you'll be happy with your choice. Any neighborhood will be as good as you help make it. Hope you have an easy move. Welcome to Dallas!

Old 08-30-2007, 04:56 AM

81 posts, read 262,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriumphOfTheSprint View Post
By painting everyone in the suburbs with the same broad brush (as has often been the case by you and some others in this forum), you invalidate your statement.

It is true that there are many in Plano, Frisco, etc. who live beyond their means, there are also many hard working, successful people who like to enjoy the fruits of their labor. Most of them are modest about who they are and what they do - it's just the few that feel the need to "front" that give a bad name to everyone else.

The constant belittling of people who make different choices of how to spend their time and money, where to live, or that enjoy a different lifestyle than you do, only serve to make us wonder what you're so insecure about that you feel the need to denigrate others.

do a search on lakewooder on google, he/she/it does this in every forum they belong too. One poster in another forum even asked the mod to remove one of his posts. ignore him

Old 08-30-2007, 07:01 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,437,600 times
Read this and I think you'll agree that Southlake should easily fall within this group:

Southlake: Welcome to Perfect City, U.S.A. | Articles | D Magazine (http://www.dmagazine.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=MultiPublishing&mod=Publi shingTitles&mid=7155F7796F354F21B1183937D847D6DF&t ier=4&id=2E4662E89091450EA6D4A0FF01296094 - broken link)

Old 08-31-2007, 03:02 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,183,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonna View Post
do a search on lakewooder on google, he/she/it does this in every forum they belong too. One poster in another forum even asked the mod to remove one of his posts. ignore him
Please do ignore me Jonna - I only noticed you because of your ridiculous scathing remarks about Dallas that were driven by some malicious motive that had nothing to do with any facts...

When suburban posters stop blanketing this forum and others with "Dallas is bad, Dallas has high crime, Dallas has bad schools, Dallas has an inept city council, Fair Park is dangerous, Oak Cliff and South Dallas are scary (code: there are minorities there!) etc." I shall stop giving them a taste of their own medicine - which they obviously can't stomach.

Old 08-31-2007, 03:18 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,766,843 times
>> When suburban posters stop blanketing this forum and others with "Dallas is bad, Dallas has high crime, Dallas has bad schools, Dallas has an inept city council, Fair Park is dangerous, Oak Cliff and South Dallas are scary (code: there are minorities there!) etc."<<

Is it that bad? It seems to me that most all of Dallas & burbs gets it share of bad press on the boards - it's spread around pretty equally depending on the city du jour. Of course, people think where they live is the place to be - and why wouldn't it be since they live there. It's when somone brings up your hometown when it gets a little more personal. I know it happens to me and when things are said and I know it to be different than what is portrayed.

Old 08-31-2007, 03:20 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,183,772 times
Well Dallas is my hometown, I love it and I do take it personally. Most of those criticizing are just passing through...

I have just gotten tired of the stuff I have heard for 30-something years from people 'up north' and I'm not going to take it any more.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:21 AM

1 posts, read 2,572 times
wow reading all this stuff about ppl in 2007 i guarantee a lot has changed lol. in the grand scheme of things who really cares whose rich, middle class or poor? whose old and new money? as long as you are a good person, not full on yourself, selfish or greedy, who cares?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas