Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 08:25 AM

621 posts, read 1,335,189 times

Advertisements

Watch it though, the decent looking women here are nothing but Golddiggers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 08:27 AM

56 posts, read 172,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganongrey View Post
But if you rent, Mondrian is better or try to sublet at Za-Za.
Za-Za does that? The website doesn't mention anything along those lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganongrey View Post
Skip the Uptown starter kit. Get an older 911 993 to show you have style or a 997.1 GT3 to show you have aggression. Just know, Rarris and Lambos roam wild here. Skip a shiny new Rolex Sea-Dweller, go for something vintage, maybe an Explorer from the year you were born or a Daytona if you can talk a reseller into hooking you up. Skip Brooks Brothers, do bespoke at Barneys and by all means have your shirts tailored. You've got some money, now prove you've got taste.

And never, ever, ever show up for work in Dockers with a scrub top tucked in. That's just wrong.

And not that I'm even close to their strata, drive down Preston into HP or Midway in Preston Hollow Estates if you want to see what 'real' money, as in no one asks questions, looks like. It always gives me perspective.
Not really a Porsche guy. And I don't wear a watch either, though I might in the future. But I have to say I am very excited about having the opportunity to have my my clothes tailored. Barneys does actual bespoke though? I would be shocked.

The only taste I have is in the negative sense. I have taste enough not to be ostentatious. I am not going to get sucked into conspicuous consumption. I want a nicer car than my 10 year old one and I want an apartment that doesn't depress me, but other than that I'm going to be paying off loans, saving, and taking a few trips. I want financial independence, not a spending habit I have to work all year to support.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:29 AM

56 posts, read 172,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twincam666 View Post
Watch it though, the decent looking women here are nothing but Golddiggers!
Can you talk more about that?

Old 06-02-2011, 01:30 PM

1 posts, read 3,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcellentUserName View Post
I am a 30 year old new ER doctor who is moving to Dallas in the summer to start my first job out of residency. I will make about 350,000 a year. I need a new car, a new address and a new woman.
Sorry rook, but I have to call you on the BS. You're not making 350k as a rookie at ANY hospital in Dallas. Not in 2011. But I'll cut you some slack and assume that you meant to say "I will eventually make 350k later in my career."

Now show some respect to these nice folks who are trying to help you out, be humble, and don't mislead them.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:50 AM

2,674 posts, read 4,399,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
This is where I find the "real world" have a real double-standard. A guy who works 60 hours a week in finance or consulting and makes $250k+ is considered a "catch" to 90% of women even if he has the personality of sandpaper, but a female surgeon who makes the same or more is immediately considered to be "uptight" to 90% of men because she's 37 and still single.

If OP is looking for a woman who is intelligent, well-educated, and successful and she's 10 years into a career, he's going to find someone who consistently works 50-70 hours a week if he's looking for his "equal" within 10 years of his age. It's VERY RARE to find an elementary school teacher or an "event coordinator" or someone who dabbles in real estate with her mommy who has read the classics and is ready to debate whether or not they agree with Obama's treatment of Hu this week or the effect the situation in Tunisia will have on the rest of Africa. Very rare.
All doctors know that if you want to stay healthy, take a lotta, lotta Flintstone vitamins and never date a female surgeon...never, ever, ever , ever.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:41 PM

64 posts, read 110,866 times
Quote:
None of that sounds funny to you because you're not looking for that. OP said his criteria was an intelligent woman who can discuss a wide range of matters. Dallas is not overly full of "career girls" and Dallas actually proves a difficult- not impossible, but difficult- place for career girls to date vs DC/ NYC/ East Coast where career & education are considered "assets" and not "liabilities" (ie, "but she won't have time for MEEEEEE!!!!")

The "typical" (and thus, plentiful) Dallas girl falls into 2 camps:
-Bleach blonde, tan, tight young 20-something who dresses flashy and is out to hook the wealthiest guy she can. She may/may not work, probably has a college degree, and will morph into whatever she thinks YOU'RE looking for- be it a funny gal or a sports-loving gal or a society gal. You'll meet her at a bar or club or online.

-Very sweet, supportive loving girl who is VERY religious and seeking a "Godly" man who will lead her and support her financially. She is generally a teacher or nurse. You will meet her at church or through friends from church- particularly Watermark, Fellowship, or other mega-Evangelical churches with huge young adult populations....although the same "pairing off" is happening in any church, even with a smaller group. The mega-churches are just specifically known for the Christian dating scene.
So white trash gold-diggers and religious nuts? Ugh.

Old 12-17-2015, 06:51 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,474,206 times
One word: ferocious. Dallas has a very competitive dating scene. In the age bracket of say 21-35, men significantly outnumber women here (but that's true in mostly every US major metro). Women can be as picky as they'd like to be. In the early stages of dating, many women will be on the lookout for the next best thing and will not make one man a priority in her life as she evaluates options. This mostly applies to the mainstream singles scene of Central Dallas areas like Uptown. But that's not something that I think is unique to Dallas. That can be found in a lot of major metro areas.

Quote:
I think the dating and social scene in Dallas is shallow. I grew up here and lived in NYC for several years....I see waaay more beautiful, successful women in their 30's who are single here than I saw in NYC. I think the smart/ successful/ pretty girls intimidate a lot of the guys here. And the guys they should be dating "on paper" (late 30's/early 40's, successful, well-educated) are either total & complete committment phobes searching for THE ONE PERFECT (as in, ZERO flaws) WOMAN or they're complete players and prefer to not settle dow.

I'm not bitter at all. I'm engaged to a wonderful man who is smart, succesful, wants a family, etc. Dallas was just a frustrating place to date for 4 years before I found him. I look around at so many friends who are gorgeous (thin, work out, beautiful face/ skin/ hair), fun, loving & caring personalities, and also happen to be surgeons or law firm partners or Directors at Bain/ McKinsey/ etc and very few men are interested once they discover these women went to Johns Hopkins MD or Harvard MBA......it's not like they go around bragging. They'll be at a bar in jeans/ flip flops/ hat watching a football game, but when the "what do you do" or "why did you move to Dallas from Boston" or whatever question, the guys take off when the answer is "for my residency" or "my company relocated me....why? to run our Dallas office."

Quote:
Dallas is not overly full of "career girls" and Dallas actually proves a difficult- not impossible, but difficult- place for career girls to date vs DC/ NYC/ East Coast where career & education are considered "assets" and not "liabilities" (ie, "but she won't have time for MEEEEEE!!!!")

I would agree that the scene seems pretty shallow here.

There are more "career women" in Dallas than it might seem. Although Dallas isn't quite as known for career women than say DC or NYC, there's still a fair amount of them around, especially if you date women above 25. I think your perspective might be slightly skewed here because you left New York at age 26 or so. Had you stayed in New York until age 30 or so, you'd have seen a lot of early 30s women that fit the description that you were providing of Dallas women in their 30s here to a tee.

Career women as a lot of are a pretty tough batch to date. Men often have the attitude that career women won't have time for them simply because they often don't have time for them. I've encountered situations with women where either encountering them from online or a bar/private party first, they were very slow to actually go on a date (1-3 weeks in the future). With some women, there were times I felt that I could get on a US Senator's schedule faster than going on a date with some women. Not sure if they were all career women (one woman who did this to me was an elementary school teacher) but I'm sure some were.

Quote:
The "typical" (and thus, plentiful) Dallas girl falls into 2 camps:
-Bleach blonde, tan, tight young 20-something who dresses flashy and is out to hook the wealthiest guy she can. She may/may not work, probably has a college degree, and will morph into whatever she thinks YOU'RE looking for- be it a funny gal or a sports-loving gal or a society gal. You'll meet her at a bar or club or online.

-Very sweet, supportive loving girl who is VERY religious and seeking a "Godly" man who will lead her and support her financially. She is generally a teacher or nurse. You will meet her at church or through friends from church- particularly Watermark, Fellowship, or other mega-Evangelical churches with huge young adult populations....although the same "pairing off" is happening in any church, even with a smaller group. The mega-churches are just specifically known for the Christian dating scene.

I've encountered both these types dating in Dallas. While I'm not sure that everyone fits into just these two camps, it's a decent analytical framework.

The 20 somethings with tight bodies are great on the outside. Every guy under 50 wants them. I've spent time here. They definitely don't make any individual man a priority and they are looking to hook a high quality man. The threshold to impress them is very high. So, as a guy, you've got to bring A+ type game if you meet them in a bar or online because you are nothing more than a commodity to them. Even a solid A-/B+ game isn't going to be enough here. If you meet them through a common activity, such as playing a sport, the arts, etc., or through your existing social circle, they might value the interaction only slightly more.

There is also really a camp of average looking 20 somethings/early 30s women who are not quite stellar dressers. Some will show up to a typical drinks in a decent bar setting in a rather plain top and jeans as if they really don't care to impress you and they don't really care if you aren't impressed because there are 100+ matches in their Tinder/OkCupid/Match profiles.

The religious women are a camp as well. They usually partner off on the earlier side. They are very insular. To date them, it's probably best that you are part of their religion, as they don't tolerate those who do not attend their specific megachurch (Evangelicals) or go to a Catholic church (for Catholics). This isn't really a common attitude in mainstream Protestantism. They will bring up religion fairly early in the interaction.

I recommend avoiding the bars/clubs, online, generic Meetup groups (I'm referred to singles groups and generic social groups such as Young Professionals groups, as there are very few actual solid prospects here, and they are swarmed by socially inept men, however some activity groups might be worth a shot) and focus on meeting people either through having common activities with someone or already having them in your social circle (make friends). These interactions generally lend themselves to a little less nonsensical and frustrating behaviors from potential mates. Be prepared though by going this route, you will meet fewer potential prospects, but the ones you meet are more probable to have greater compatibility.

For potential newcomers to Dallas reading this, think about where you currently live. If you are coming here from another major metropolitan area, your experience will be similar without you drastically changing your behavior. If you are coming from a mid-sized city (say 150,000-600,000 or so), you might be in the sweet spot in your current city in terms of dating. If you don't have to move, don't. You're not lacking for options but you don't encounter the paradox of choice pitfalls of big city dating. If you are coming from a place of sub-150,000 or so and didn't partner off permanently before age 25, you might need to come to a big city like Dallas, but be aware that it is likely to be a tough slog. However, it might be better than your lack of options due to a small population base.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:29 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,576,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
One word: ferocious. Dallas has a very competitive dating scene. In the age bracket of say 21-35, men significantly outnumber women here (but that's true in mostly every US major metro). Women can be as picky as they'd like to be. In the early stages of dating, many women will be on the lookout for the next best thing and will not make one man a priority in her life as she evaluates options. This mostly applies to the mainstream singles scene of Central Dallas areas like Uptown. But that's not something that I think is unique to Dallas. That can be found in a lot of major metro areas.

I would agree that the scene seems pretty shallow here.

There are more "career women" in Dallas than it might seem. Although Dallas isn't quite as known for career women than say DC or NYC, there's still a fair amount of them around, especially if you date women above 25. I think your perspective might be slightly skewed here because you left New York at age 26 or so. Had you stayed in New York until age 30 or so, you'd have seen a lot of early 30s women that fit the description that you were providing of Dallas women in their 30s here to a tee.

Career women as a lot of are a pretty tough batch to date. Men often have the attitude that career women won't have time for them simply because they often don't have time for them. I've encountered situations with women where either encountering them from online or a bar/private party first, they were very slow to actually go on a date (1-3 weeks in the future). With some women, there were times I felt that I could get on a US Senator's schedule faster than going on a date with some women. Not sure if they were all career women (one woman who did this to me was an elementary school teacher) but I'm sure some were.

I've encountered both these types dating in Dallas. While I'm not sure that everyone fits into just these two camps, it's a decent analytical framework.

The 20 somethings with tight bodies are great on the outside. Every guy under 50 wants them. I've spent time here. They definitely don't make any individual man a priority and they are looking to hook a high quality man. The threshold to impress them is very high. So, as a guy, you've got to bring A+ type game if you meet them in a bar or online because you are nothing more than a commodity to them. Even a solid A-/B+ game isn't going to be enough here. If you meet them through a common activity, such as playing a sport, the arts, etc., or through your existing social circle, they might value the interaction only slightly more.

There is also really a camp of average looking 20 somethings/early 30s women who are not quite stellar dressers. Some will show up to a typical drinks in a decent bar setting in a rather plain top and jeans as if they really don't care to impress you and they don't really care if you aren't impressed because there are 100+ matches in their Tinder/OkCupid/Match profiles.

The religious women are a camp as well. They usually partner off on the earlier side. They are very insular. To date them, it's probably best that you are part of their religion, as they don't tolerate those who do not attend their specific megachurch (Evangelicals) or go to a Catholic church (for Catholics). This isn't really a common attitude in mainstream Protestantism. They will bring up religion fairly early in the interaction.

I recommend avoiding the bars/clubs, online, generic Meetup groups (I'm referred to singles groups and generic social groups such as Young Professionals groups, as there are very few actual solid prospects here, and they are swarmed by socially inept men, however some activity groups might be worth a shot) and focus on meeting people either through having common activities with someone or already having them in your social circle (make friends). These interactions generally lend themselves to a little less nonsensical and frustrating behaviors from potential mates. Be prepared though by going this route, you will meet fewer potential prospects, but the ones you meet are more probable to have greater compatibility.

For potential newcomers to Dallas reading this, think about where you currently live. If you are coming here from another major metropolitan area, your experience will be similar without you drastically changing your behavior. If you are coming from a mid-sized city (say 150,000-600,000 or so), you might be in the sweet spot in your current city in terms of dating. If you don't have to move, don't. You're not lacking for options but you don't encounter the paradox of choice pitfalls of big city dating. If you are coming from a place of sub-150,000 or so and didn't partner off permanently before age 25, you might need to come to a big city like Dallas, but be aware that it is likely to be a tough slog. However, it might be better than your lack of options due to a small population base.
Haha, good lord, man. You've put some serious thought into dating.

Old 12-17-2015, 06:11 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,474,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
Haha, good lord, man. You've put some serious thought into dating.
Really? I thought what I posted above was barely scratching the surface. Much of the commentary I can provide may not be Dallas specific but more related to dating in general. This is not an easy market to date in, but I don't think it is all too unique for a major metropolitan area.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:24 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,402,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FleeingSeattle View Post
So white trash gold-diggers and religious nuts? Ugh.
It's rare that I disagree with TurtleCreek80, but that's not evenn close to true. There are thousands and thousands of attractive young women who went to SMU, UT, OU, Ole Miss, OSU, TCU, etc. (even Baylor) who may or may not go to church but are far from "highly religious" and who are looking for a healthy relationship, marriage, and kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas