Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 09:48 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,339,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by codytravers View Post
GXL, you are in a good position. Many of the single girls in your age range (if you are looking for older 20's to mid 30's) will be "desperate". You'll be able to bag a girl that was once out of your league due to her relationship anxiety. Desperate may be a harsh word, but things that may have been important to these girls at one point in their lives (tall, buff, Affliction T-Shirt, not bald, etc) may not be so important anymore
Both sexes have to give up on the notion of a "perfect" mate in order to find the perfect match. Men are just as guilty of this as women. Dallas is a city where many people did get married right out of college so the pickings by age 28, 35, 40 are much slimmer- not a worse quality as many people are always moving in and out of the city, just know that you'll hit a point where you're at a bar and 9 girls out of 10 that catch your eye will already be sporting an engagement ring or wedding band.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Somehow, I doubt that most men are disinterested in a girl that is not only "gorgeous" and "fun loving" but whose nickname may also be MoneyBags.

People who are successful like that (men AND women) tend to be a bit uptight / overly meticulous which IMO is a turnoff. It's one thing to have a very successful career working as a lawyer, doctor, or strategic consultant, but for many people that entails having a certain type of characteristic which is not always exactly an endearing quality. One of my good friends is a partner for one of the big, elite consulting firms and he's never home with his wife and kids (When I mean never, I mean a solid 40 weeks out of the year). Not many people want to deal with that, regardless of financial status.

I'm in my early 20's so I'm not too keen on dating anyone seriously, but give me 5 years and shoot some of these rich, gorgeous, non uptight, fun loving women (if they actually do exist) my way
This is where I find the "real world" have a real double-standard. A guy who works 60 hours a week in finance or consulting and makes $250k+ is considered a "catch" to 90% of women even if he has the personality of sandpaper, but a female surgeon who makes the same or more is immediately considered to be "uptight" to 90% of men because she's 37 and still single.

If OP is looking for a woman who is intelligent, well-educated, and successful and she's 10 years into a career, he's going to find someone who consistently works 50-70 hours a week if he's looking for his "equal" within 10 years of his age. It's VERY RARE to find an elementary school teacher or an "event coordinator" or someone who dabbles in real estate with her mommy who has read the classics and is ready to debate whether or not they agree with Obama's treatment of Hu this week or the effect the situation in Tunisia will have on the rest of Africa. Very rare.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:36 AM

229 posts, read 607,552 times
That double standard is a result of the different priorities that men and women tend to set while looking for a mate. That single, 37 year old female consultant at Bain isn't considered "uptight" because she's a 37 year old female consultant at Bain, it's because she IS UPTIGHT. The only un-uptight women I've encountered who work a lot are actually doctors/dentists. I am also attracted to them. It has nothing to do with how much they work, how much money they make, etc.

Personally, I'd much rather settle down with someone who has a career (read: anything but retail) working 40-50 hours a week, only because that's probably a sign that finishing pitchbooks, auditing, or drafting up a proposal isn't the most important thing in their lives. I only work about the same and make good money, which in turn goes much further in Dallas than San Francisco or New York.

Sure, being an ER surgeon or something like that entails much more work than 50 hours, but at least it's meaningful work. Getting into the discussion of meaningful jobs vs. jobs that just put food on the table is another topic.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:20 AM

2,674 posts, read 4,398,783 times
Quote:
That double standard is a result of the different priorities that men and women tend to set while looking for a mate. That single, 37 year old female consultant at Bain isn't considered "uptight" because she's a 37 year old female consultant at Bain, it's because she IS UPTIGHT. The only un-uptight women I've encountered who work a lot are actually doctors/dentists. I am also attracted to them. It has nothing to do with how much they work, how much money they make, etc.

Personally, I'd much rather settle down with someone who has a career (read: anything but retail) working 40-50 hours a week, only because that's probably a sign that finishing pitchbooks, auditing, or drafting up a proposal isn't the most important thing in their lives. I only work about the same and make good money, which in turn goes much further in Dallas than San Francisco or New York.

Sure, being an ER surgeon or something like that entails much more work than 50 hours, but at least it's meaningful work. Getting into the discussion of meaningful jobs vs. jobs that just put food on the table is another topic.
It's different out East. Folks tend to get married AFTER the careers are established. Cost of living is much higher so a dual-income household may be a necessity. You take less of a professional gamble with your mate. But there is usually much more parity in terms of couples incomes or at least 'importance' of career (i.e. banker vs. director of a non-profit...)

Here there seems to be more of a focus on family. Alot more 'MRS' degrees. Not the huge stigma of a nearly 40 year old guy plucking a 20-something to marry and provide for.

So maybe women in Dallas look for different things. The mating game is winding down by 30 (to my eyes and mine only) in Dallas. Women in their 30's and successful and busy? If you're an older guy, you're financially fit, you're looking for a wife to take care of the kids and you, thus you value her emotional/supportive contribution more than financial. You worry about the woman not having enough time for 'you'. Younger girls are suited to the previous esp. if a career hasn't been established.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:56 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,916,490 times
Wow, glad I'm dating in Austin instead of Dallas.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:31 PM

42 posts, read 132,536 times
Are we talking about men and women dating or starting a business together? These relationships sound quite superficial. And I hate to be butting in so abruptly. I'm just considering Dallas to relocate to. One of my reasons for wanting to leave Memphis is because the social scene for young black dudes sucks badly here. May have to add Austin to my list too.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
.......ready to debate whether or not they agree with Obama's treatment of Hu this week or the effect the situation in Tunisia will have on the rest of Africa.
You know, I'm just looking for a woman that can make me laugh a lot. None of that sounds funny.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:40 PM

So would it be safe to say that Dallas is full off those "career women" types? Normally women like that aren't fun to be around at all.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Guapo View Post
You know, I'm just looking for a woman that can make me laugh a lot. None of that sounds funny.
None of that sounds funny to you because you're not looking for that. OP said his criteria was an intelligent woman who can discuss a wide range of matters. Dallas is not overly full of "career girls" and Dallas actually proves a difficult- not impossible, but difficult- place for career girls to date vs DC/ NYC/ East Coast where career & education are considered "assets" and not "liabilities" (ie, "but she won't have time for MEEEEEE!!!!")

The "typical" (and thus, plentiful) Dallas girl falls into 2 camps:
-Bleach blonde, tan, tight young 20-something who dresses flashy and is out to hook the wealthiest guy she can. She may/may not work, probably has a college degree, and will morph into whatever she thinks YOU'RE looking for- be it a funny gal or a sports-loving gal or a society gal. You'll meet her at a bar or club or online.

-Very sweet, supportive loving girl who is VERY religious and seeking a "Godly" man who will lead her and support her financially. She is generally a teacher or nurse. You will meet her at church or through friends from church- particularly Watermark, Fellowship, or other mega-Evangelical churches with huge young adult populations....although the same "pairing off" is happening in any church, even with a smaller group. The mega-churches are just specifically known for the Christian dating scene.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:15 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,916,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
None of that sounds funny to you because you're not looking for that. OP said his criteria was an intelligent woman who can discuss a wide range of matters. Dallas is not overly full of "career girls" and Dallas actually proves a difficult- not impossible, but difficult- place for career girls to date vs DC/ NYC/ East Coast where career & education are considered "assets" and not "liabilities" (ie, "but she won't have time for MEEEEEE!!!!")

The "typical" (and thus, plentiful) Dallas girl falls into 2 camps:
-Bleach blonde, tan, tight young 20-something who dresses flashy and is out to hook the wealthiest guy she can. She may/may not work, probably has a college degree, and will morph into whatever she thinks YOU'RE looking for- be it a funny gal or a sports-loving gal or a society gal. You'll meet her at a bar or club or online.

-Very sweet, supportive loving girl who is VERY religious and seeking a "Godly" man who will lead her and support her financially. She is generally a teacher or nurse. You will meet her at church or through friends from church- particularly Watermark, Fellowship, or other mega-Evangelical churches with huge young adult populations....although the same "pairing off" is happening in any church, even with a smaller group. The mega-churches are just specifically known for the Christian dating scene.
Wow, you nailed it. That's pretty much it up in Dallas. Down in Austin you're more likely to find well educated (due to UT) and fit women with natural beauty that don't fit the camps above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas