Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 11:38 AM

40 posts, read 94,210 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
We are planning to move from Bay Area to Plano Area so wanted to find out how the job scene is in or near Dallas, I have 10 years of experience in Java/J2EE tech as well.
and How are the salaries compared to Bay Area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 01:28 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,438,343 times
I would definitely check sites like monster.com or payscale.com for info on this.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:21 PM

109 posts, read 204,309 times
Be careful. IT is a bit over-saturated in DFW and Austin. Lots of people are underworked, overworked, and out of work. Plus with new grads every term........ With out massive budget shortfall, I would wait a year or more before I even contemplated moving to Texas.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:22 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,460,702 times
Bay Area salaries are better. Also, Bay Area is more Java oriented. Austin has more Java type jobs with the startups, etc. Lots of stuff in Plano is more "corporate", Windows/C#, etc. Also, in the DFW area, some commute that would be considered in the Bay Area will automatically discount you in DFW. 30+ minutes are considered long here, and recruiters / companies might not consider you because they think you are a flight risk. In the Bay Area, it seems a 1.25 hour commute is considered normal (or at least no big deal).

Old 01-29-2011, 10:15 PM

74 posts, read 166,481 times
Java is huge in Dallas as well and is used by the corporate world just as much as .net.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:04 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,596,369 times
LOL - I worked for Blockbuster's corp office about 6 years ago... they still ran DEC Alphas and had shot down plans to rewrite their point of sale code to run on something from this century. It was strange putting on my way-back hat and remembering how DECNet worked again.

Brian

Old 01-30-2011, 10:49 AM

27 posts, read 80,383 times
i agree with compsciguy... There are more windows/.net shops than java... I know people saying this bad economy hit the dfw the least, but it's still messed up... I work for a consulting company and working very late is common. Having said, if you have above avg problem solving skills and good communication skill, you shouldn't have any problem finding a job. It's all about how good you are... Money figure is different story as many will settle for less in this economy.. Good luck!

Old 01-30-2011, 01:59 PM

19 posts, read 100,473 times
I guess it depends on what side of IT you are on. My friend is a Business Analyst and he received four job offers and was able to negotiate a very good salary and benefits package. I know this is not a developer position. He has a degree and experience but, nothing that is rare talent wise. As far as .NET vs Java, I've would say it's 65/35 based on where I've worked at here in DFW. I would agree that Austin has better demand (and is also a nicer place to live) but, if you have your mind set on DFW and have that level of skill, you should be able find some good opportunities.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:18 AM

954 posts, read 1,549,894 times
Just out of curiosity, are there any remaining mainframe shops/applications in this day and age ?

Old 01-31-2011, 07:51 AM

9 posts, read 16,418 times
I'm a Applications Development Manager in NY for a very large healthcare company. I currently telecommute to work, so I can move anywhere. But in case I lose this job, what could be the possible job outlook for me? I am still very technical when necessary, but hardly have time off the phone in my current role.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: