Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2011, 06:13 AM

247 posts, read 567,487 times

Advertisements

That is probably fairly accurate overall. Areas in Mesquite west of 635 have large amounts of hispanics. E.G. I was looking at rehabbing a few really bargain priced homes over there, and when I was looking at the names of people who owned some houses on those streets via DCAD...they were like 80-90% hispanic names - I am talking over off of Gus Thomasson in Far NW Mesquite. I found that amazing. However in the newer part of Mesquite, down in Creek Crossing ... I bet that area is 40% black easily...maybe 50% even. The white folks tend to be scattered about here & there, everywhere. So Mesquite is definitely like Garland in many respects...it has a little bit of everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
Looks like City Data updated their stats with the new census results. I remember seeing this thread months ago. Living a few blocks from Mesquite and doing business in the town often, I thought 73% white was extremely high for this area. Here are the new demographics:

White alone - 55,533 (41.6%)
Hispanic - 46,164 (34.6%)
Black alone - 23,154 (17.4%)
Asian alone - 6,129 (4.6%)
Two or more races - 1,280 (1.0%)
Other race alone - 929 (0.7%)
American alone - 167 (0.1%)

That seems much more accurate and represents Mesquite's diversity well.

I've only lived here on this side of town for two years. Has Mesquite really changed that much in a decade, or were the last census results possibly a little off?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 07:46 PM

6,800 posts, read 14,018,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
Looks like City Data updated their stats with the new census results. I remember seeing this thread months ago. Living a few blocks from Mesquite and doing business in the town often, I thought 73% white was extremely high for this area. Here are the new demographics:

White alone - 55,533 (41.6%)
Hispanic - 46,164 (34.6%)
Black alone - 23,154 (17.4%)
Asian alone - 6,129 (4.6%)
Two or more races - 1,280 (1.0%)
Other race alone - 929 (0.7%)
American alone - 167 (0.1%)

That seems much more accurate and represents Mesquite's diversity well.

I've only lived here on this side of town for two years. Has Mesquite really changed that much in a decade, or were the last census results possibly a little off?

Yep the demographics have changed quite a bit in the 15 years I have lived here. The white and black precentages are remain pretty constant but the hispanic population has grown quite a bit. Most of the ones I have meet are fleeing the Pleasant Grove area. There is not large group of asians or indians in the area from my experience.

Reggie

Old 02-18-2011, 09:03 PM

122 posts, read 348,947 times
I was about to say. No way is Mesquite still 75% white. But sometimes with demographics, some hispanics are counted as white for some reason.

Anyways, I moved from Mesquite in 2000. In that 10 year span, the area right near East Dallas by Gus Thomasson/La Prada and Oates area, has really seen a huge growth in hispanics. Shands Elem, which is where I went, is now nothing but hispanics for the most part. When I was there, there was 1 hispanic family on our street. Now it's dominated by them. Most of them are coming from that far East Dallas area. I remember that Fazios right off Gus Thomasson/La Prada changed to Terrys, a mexican store. That shows the demographic shift in that area.

My grandparents still live in that area so I'm there quite a bit. Mesquite has changed a lot since I moved. I think it sometimes gets a worse rap than really what it is because I drive around and it's not nearly as bad as parts of Dallas, even though some parts are, especially the parts that border Balch Springs and Pleasant Grove.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:21 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,534,750 times
Yeah, I live on the otherside of Gus Thomasson on the Dallas side of the neighborhood. Mostly hispanics, but I haven't lived here long enough to know anything different.

I think that Mesquite gets a much worse rep than it deserves. Mesquite's biggest caveat is that it can be a bit boring. It's dry, it has a lot of chains, and is just a typical older suburb. The good news is that most of Mesquite has the quickest access to downtown Dallas over just about any suburb other than Irving. There are a few older parts of town that can look a little run down, but none of Mesquite feels dangerous to me. Southwest Mesquite is the only part I don't really feel 100% comfortable in. Most people just seem to be honest middle and working class people raising their families. Most of the schools are underrated and underappreciated by outsiders as well.

I know I've talked to some locals that lament on how much Mesquite is changing, but that's the way it usually goes in every city. Every native longs for the way things used to be. Overall, I think Mesquite has done a good job of making the place a decent place to live. There are only a few things I wish Mesquite would improve upon:

1. Light Rail. (which last I'd heard is no longer an "if" but a "when")

2. Fix roads.

3. Clean up the Town East area around the mall. There's too many old, deteorating parking lots that nobody uses anymore. Start over and plant more trees and green spaces instead.

4. Enforce neighborhood codes where people will maintain their homes and yards better.

As far as Mesquite's diversity, I think it's great and the city is handling their changing demographics well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas