Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 09:22 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,465,044 times

Advertisements

yeah there are a lot of suburb haters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 09:49 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,835,118 times
mini-rant of my own:
Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimithing78 View Post
(Mini Rant)People that live inside 635 generally have a superiority complex. At least the ones on this board do. They like to come on here and tell people they need to live in a certain part of town without considering what that person actually wants or needs. (/Mini Rant)

Edit: Could you give us a little more information about what area of town you'll be working? It would help us give better suggestions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
LOL! I'll jump on that bandwagon.......(major rant) people who live in Lakewood have no respect for other locations in the metro mess and I have yet to find a single area without some merits. Gotta wonder if some people bad mouth areas when they haven't been in them for more than 5 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
yeah there are a lot of suburb haters.
While in general I agree with these comments, on this thread there has only been one statement fitting the description
Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
The best place to live north of 635 -- is south of 635.
( which I'd take as a joke) yet three from the other camp. I guess you could throw in getmeoutofhere to make it 2:3, but that's more of a "I hate everything and everyone" attitude - so I wouldn't include it. In fact at least one poster that can often come across as heavily inner-ring biased has posted a very fair and helpful comment with zero hate. I'm just saying that everyone has their personal bias - but can we try to stay on topic and minimize the hating on both sides?

End of mini-rant - and yes I know no one elected me forum cop so I'll shut up now.

Last edited by tyanger; 08-28-2010 at 09:59 AM..

Old 08-28-2010, 10:02 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
What? Along freeway corridors, yes. But the rest is pretty suburban to almost exburb looking in that part of Dallas. Especially between Hillcrest and Preston until you get down to Uptown/Oaklawn/Knox-Henderson. Yes its the city, but that's a little misleading.
My point was that if OP is coming from the suburbs of an Ohio city (like Columbus or Cleveland, both of which I have had the pleasure of visiting on work trips), the suburbs there are A LOT more spread out (ie, 1/2 acre to a couple of acres is a "normal" suburban lot size), far less traffic on roads that equate to Park, Preston, Hillcrest, Belt Line, Frankford, and you have to "drive in" from the areas with housing to the commercial areas. Same with suburbs of Milwaukee, Philly, and most other older north/northeastern cities. Whereas DFW's suburbs have been mostly developed as a series of planned communities with housing packed tightly together on .15-.25 acre lots.

They physically look and feel much different than Plano/Frisco- a closer resemblance would be parts of McKinney, Murphy, Lucas, or Colleyville.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:05 AM

Orlando has the same suburbs as Texas and so does Chicago, Miami, San Juan, Puerto Rico, and Even New York City. I have lived in suburbs of all those cities.

You can buy a large lot in Plano or anywhere else if you got the $$$$

Old 08-28-2010, 10:13 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
Orlando has the same suburbs as Texas and so does Chicago, Miami, San Juan, Puerto Rico, and Even New York City. I have lived in suburbs of all those cities.

You can buy a large lot in Plano or anywhere else if you got the $$$$
Ok, well since you've lived in NYC, the Ohio suburbs I've seen look a lot more like Westchester County than Naasau County.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Ok, well since you've lived in NYC, the Ohio suburbs I've seen look a lot more like Westchester County than Naasau County.
When I say NYC suburbs Im talking Morris Town New Jersey about 20 miles west from NYC. Lived there for a year back in 1992

Old 08-28-2010, 11:19 PM

15,530 posts, read 10,501,555 times
Based on where your husband will work, you need something on the NW side, perhaps Carrollton or Trinity Mills. The Dart Rail green line will be finished in December. Try looking at these, scroll down: Villas of Josey Ranch in Carrollton, TX

Old 08-29-2010, 09:24 AM

13 posts, read 36,747 times
Try the Cheataus of Palace Lake in Frisco! Homes start at $110k.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:27 AM

11 posts, read 35,928 times
Wow...thanks for all of the great information that everyone provided!!

Location: We are looking to rent a newer (4yrs or less) Apt., Condo, or Townhouse to live in. We want to be in a safe gated community as I will be home the most. We really like the Carrollton, Addison, Coppell and West Plano areas.

Rent vs. Buying: We don't want to buy a home right away until we have a good idea of where we want to live. Therefore, we are only interested in renting at this time. We could do a Townhouse but we would need to have at least 2 bedrooms on the main floor and the third on the second floor. That way my son could live upstairs.

Transportation: I've heard that it is best to try and live as close to your job as possible. Is this true in regards to traffic? I can't drive therefore that is why I need to utilize some type of transportation in order to get to my monthly doctor's appointments. Maybe taking a local taxi wouldn't cost too much?

Driving to Dallas next week to find a place to live. Does anyone know of ANY newer (4 yrs. or less) "Apt., Condo or Townhome Communities" in which we could rent? I'll be there for 8-10 days so I wanted to put together at least a dozen of potential rentals to check out before I come down. I must put a deposit down while I am there because we'll be moving on October 9.

Any other suggestions or ideas would be MOST appreciated......Thanks!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas