Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 06:15 PM

597 posts, read 1,147,403 times

Advertisements

Just thought I'd let everyone know,
If your watching the clip you will have to wait through long commercials. But it is worth the wait!! Thanks again to MaryS80 for her careful observance. The filming took place on the North end of the Shopping Center close to the old motorcycle shop and the Wyatts Grocery.
Thanks,
JH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 08:03 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,617,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Watson View Post
Wasn't there a "First St. Shopping Center" back in the old days? Anybody remember the Wilkerson Dairy Mart located on Lavon?
Thanks,
JH
The First Street Shopping Center was on the east side of First Street a couple of blocks north of Miller Road, just north of the Dairy Queen that is still there. It had a large toy store (what I remember most, of course) and a grocery store on the north end. It's still there, and now the grocery store is a Hispanic oriented grocer (forgot the name). It's across the street from the grocery store that used to be "Buddies" (now a thrift store).

Right out of high school, one of my best friends was the manager of the old Piggly Wiggly store further to the north at First Street and Lavon/Main St.. My first job was at the old Safeway store downtown (now the PAL gym).

Old 09-22-2010, 01:05 PM

My grandmothers first job in high school was working at a Skillern Drug Store over 60 years ago. Not sure which one.

Thanks,
JH

Old 03-11-2011, 07:33 AM

Default Update

Has anyone been by the Garland Shopping Center recently? As of this morning the building which used to house JC Penny and most recently Aarons rental has been torn down. Unfortunately, it looks as if the rest of the center is coming down soon.

I plan on emailing city council to see exactly what is happening here. I shall also try to post some pictures of the destruction at the shopping center by this afternoon.

Best
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 03-11-2011, 08:08 AM

Unfortunate in many respects, but that center has been dead for 20 years. I have some personal connections to the center from my past, and fond memories. But to attract quality tenants, it had to happen. The same thing happened to the part of Ridgewood shopping center that is on the east side of First Street about 7-8 years ago. They built a nice new Fiesta supermarket, and with new buildings the center leased up quick. Of course, it's all Hispanic oriented business, and you can expect the same thing to happen there more than likely.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
Unfortunate in many respects, but that center has been dead for 20 years. I have some personal connections to the center from my past, and fond memories. But to attract quality tenants, it had to happen. The same thing happened to the part of Ridgewood shopping center that is on the east side of First Street about 7-8 years ago. They built a nice new Fiesta supermarket, and with new buildings the center leased up quick. Of course, it's all Hispanic oriented business, and you can expect the same thing to happen there more than likely.
You say the center has been dead for 20 years, is that around the time when all the original businesses moved out?

Do you think they’ll keep that sign? It’s such a great example of the design that was in vogue during the post war period from the late 1940s to the early 60s.

Thanks

Old 03-11-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Watson View Post
You say the center has been dead for 20 years, is that around the time when all the original businesses moved out?

Do you think they’ll keep that sign? It’s such a great example of the design that was in vogue during the post war period from the late 1940s to the early 60s.

Thanks
20 years ago was when the majority of the 3rd and 4th generation tenants moved out en masse. I'd say the original tenants have been gone much longer. As for the sign, I'd love for it to stay as a reminder of the past, but it depends on how the developer feels about it. I'd guess that it probably won't remain since it holds little meaning to most people other than us old timers and history buffs.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:25 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,241,509 times
some pics here from the Garland messenger Facebook. Just found out a few moments a go and headed to city-data. WAs there no advance warning on this? There is a glimmer of hope, the sign will stay.

Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

Old 03-11-2011, 04:40 PM

From what I heard today, the sign will stay. I believe they may even do some repair work on it!

I'm not a fan of social networks like FB, so I shall post some pictures taken this afternoon.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:58 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,241,509 times
I should be over there later this evening or tomorrow morning. Word on facebook is there will be a new strip and a couple of restaurants (IHOP and a yet to be named steakhouse)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas