Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 03:00 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,861,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
The mgr. of Underwood's was a guy named Raymond, who bought it out and ran it for many years. About 5-6 years ago, a Chinese family bought out Raymond and still run it under his name. I still eat there from time to time - many of the old Underwood's recipes have survived. But alas, the crowds are gone and I'm afraid it may soon be history. Probably the best barbecue beans in Dallas.
Yep, Raymond's BBQ is still there. I do believe the alumni of Crozier Tech still meet there about once a month or so. I remember there being a lot of Underwood's BBQ places all over Texas and in other areas of Dallas. Marshall's BBQ in Garland on Walnut Circle sold out several years ago as well and it went downhill promptly. Moore's BBQ on Forest closed up many years ago as well as did their location in Carrollton (knew the Moore family in Carrollton). It was two brothers and one was in Garland and the other in Carrollton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 09:07 PM

597 posts, read 1,146,793 times
Default Here's some info on the aforementioned Pickle Plant

The Dallas Historical Society forum; varo mfg garland tx mentions the Pickle plant.

Also this information from the Handbook of Texas online;

"In the late 1930s the Craddock food company, which manufactured pickles, and the Byer-Rolnick hat factory, which in the 1990s made Resistol hats, moved to town".

Maybe this will shed some light!

Thanks,
JH

Old 08-12-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Watson View Post
The Dallas Historical Society forum; varo mfg garland tx mentions the Pickle plant.

Also this information from the Handbook of Texas online;

"In the late 1930s the Craddock food company, which manufactured pickles, and the Byer-Rolnick hat factory, which in the 1990s made Resistol hats, moved to town".

Maybe this will shed some light!

Thanks,
JH
I've meet the grown children of the Resistol Hat plant manager several years ago. They were given some land right next to the plant to build a house. They built a house on that land in 1939. They told me that their mother raised goats on the property. They had the main house and then sometime in the late 50's built a 2-story w/ a garage addition that still stands today. The land has since been subdivided and sold and developed on. The name of the plat is Paul's Hill after their father and since it is on a hill. They said before the development they could see downtown from their house being up on the hill. The new Garland Police Station is now located across Forest Ln from their former residence.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:02 PM

Default View down S. Garland Ave.

This probably belongs in my thread about the Chase building, but since someone mentioned the Resistol Hat Factory on this thread I will post here. You can see these were taken from the south side of the Chase building looking down Garland Ave. The third picture looks toward the police station/jail and the Resistol hat factory. I couldn't see the hat factory but the police station is visible enough. Garrett metal detectors company is also behind this building. I wish I could have gotten Resistol in the picture,but these were taken from the fourth floor not the fifth.

Thanks,
JH
Attached Thumbnails
Garland Shopping Center-p1200648.jpg   Garland Shopping Center-p1200650.jpg   Garland Shopping Center-p1200651.jpg   Garland Shopping Center-p1200653.jpg   Garland Shopping Center-p1200654.jpg  

Old 08-12-2010, 04:34 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,238,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I've meet the grown children of the Resistol Hat plant manager several years ago. They were given some land right next to the plant to build a house. They built a house on that land in 1939. They told me that their mother raised goats on the property. They had the main house and then sometime in the late 50's built a 2-story w/ a garage addition that still stands today. The land has since been subdivided and sold and developed on. The name of the plat is Paul's Hill after their father and since it is on a hill. They said before the development they could see downtown from their house being up on the hill. The new Garland Police Station is now located across Forest Ln from their former residence.

I think I know what house you are talking about. Is it that white wood exterior home on Forest over by Garland Welding Supply? I always wondered about that house, it sat back from the road and appeared to be empty but in good shape about 15 years ago.

I remember when the welding supply shop went in but they kept the home.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:24 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,238,122 times
I had to bump this thread as I recalled another long gone Garland relic. There used to be a swimming pool next to Duck Creek. When I moved to the area in 1994 the pool was drained, abandon, and had warning signs on it. I work with a woman who is GHS class of 1966 and she recalls swimming there as a child and teen.

As I said the pool was in a weird spot, right on the edge of thee creek on the side across from Central Park. There is a neighborhood that backed up to the pool/creek and I would venture to guess it came after the pool closed.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:38 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,612,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryS80 View Post
I had to bump this thread as I recalled another long gone Garland relic. There used to be a swimming pool next to Duck Creek. When I moved to the area in 1994 the pool was drained, abandon, and had warning signs on it. I work with a woman who is GHS class of 1966 and she recalls swimming there as a child and teen.

As I said the pool was in a weird spot, right on the edge of thee creek on the side across from Central Park. There is a neighborhood that backed up to the pool/creek and I would venture to guess it came after the pool closed.
I remember it well, between the old Garland Community Center and the creek. I think was the only public pool in the city then. Swam there a lot as a child, then they built the Centerville pool at Glenbrook (Pecan Grove), which was within walking or bike distance for me and my friends.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:30 PM

LOL! Speaking of Garland public pools. I was at Bradfield Pool tonight for my daughters band party. I had not been there in a few years when my older daughter had her MS band parties there. They have changed it and added a lot more sitting areas all really nice, lots of chaise lounges and a new big water slide. And I remembered I had taken a "mommy and me" swim lesson there when my oldest was a baby.

They recently closed the Central Park Rec Center.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:09 AM

Default More on the Garland Shopping Center

Here is a link to another thread discussing the Garland Shopping Center; Garland Shopping Center This is on the Dallas Historical Society Message board. I did not start the discussion but contributed quite a bit using the user name;"Jacobr". Many people posted their memories of the first shopping center in Garland. However I encouraged peoples ideas on the future of the Shopping center. What are your ideas, do you want the existing building to be retained be retained with the classic 1950s architecture and sign or do you prefer a completely new building? As I previously said I prefer the existing architecture which I believe we should preserve before its all gone,however I welcome your ideas and opinions.

Thanks,
JH

Old 08-16-2010, 07:25 PM

Default Garland Road Drive Inn Theater

Does anyone remember the Garland Road drive Inn Theater? It was where the now empty Hypermart is, not far from the Garland Shopping Center. Here's some information I picked up from the Cinema Treasures website;

The Garland Road Drive-In was in a very popular location. It had customers coming from Dallas and Garland to watch sometimes prime movies.

It was at the same location as the newer multi-screen Apollo Drive-In. The Apollo Drive-In has been gone for many years. That whole triangular area was the new Hyper Mart built by Sam Walton. Later it was renamed Walmart.

This website shows an advertisement for the grand opening of the drive-inn on April 7th 1950; Garland Road Drive-In | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/30943004@N00/3999524614/ - broken link)

This 1963 advertisement lists the drive-inns in the Dallas area; Dallas Drive In Theater Guide from 1963 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lastpictureshow/4630536760 - broken link)

Thanks and Enjoy,
JH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas